How to detect flame under a gold top

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: How to detect flame under a gold top

Post by Single coil »

Scouring pad go :D
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Dharmajester wrote:My Oxblood R4 has plenty lurking beneath the paint.
I think you should go for it. :thumbup:

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

You could clearly see the flame in the surface of my old Robin Goldtop- also visible in the faux-binding on the body. Big, fat flames.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Dharmajester wrote:
Dharmajester wrote:
Single coil wrote:
Yeah hang on a minute hahah
No I meant 60's guys ( late'ish to be more precise ) Some had wraptails, some tom's . Some Gibson in raised lettering on the p90's and a small plastic surround. They subsequently became the LP Deluxe with the addition of mini hums and a variety of finishes. Mike Campbell plays one, Tom Scholtz had one with a changed pu.
I had three at various points. Great guitars.

This one had three p90's when I bought it, hence the gaffa tape in between the pu's. Played the crap out of it all through the 80's As you can see my guitar repair skills are somewhat of a step down from Grant's
That there is a 72/73 , RI 54....totally great guitars. Played a super great one recently at a booth in Arlington. Went back to buy it - gone burgers.

TOM from 68 just as a Standard...wrap from 72 as a specific 54/58 (!) RI...and the alinco staple at the same time also called a 54RI.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

GrantB wrote:
That there is a 72/73 , RI 54....totally great guitars. Played a super great one recently at a booth in Arlington. Went back to buy it - gone burgers.

TOM from 68 just as a Standard...wrap from 72 as a specific 54/58 (!) RI...and the alinco staple at the same time also called a 54RI.
Ah ha. Always assumed it was just a variation on the Standards. The two I stripped were both loaded with TOM's, same transparent p90's, not major amounts of flame. That particular one sounded spectacular and often wondered if the hole in the front was a contributing factor, could never get the intonation absolutely perfect so eventually traded it for an original all mahogany 2 pu LP Custom ( stripped by previous owner ). Spoilt for choice back then.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson