NLPJD

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

NLPJD

Post by Reg18 »

New Les Paul Junior day.
Or to be precise New LP BJA day.
Thought this one deserved its own thread as it’s been a good few years since I’ve had a Gibson or any guitar worth proper money for that matter.

Plays great out of the case although I tweaked the action to my liking a little.
The P90 sounds nice and growly and is fairly hot, rolling back the volume to about 1/2 or 3/4 is a great sound too.
Some natural checking on the body in places (although a lot less of it and not as predictable as faked relics)
Might consider a compensated wrap around bridge but I’ll put some new strings on before I make up my mind on that one.
Rings out nicely unplugged and growls plugged in..........I’m thoroughly enjoying playing it so far! And that’s what it’s all about at the end of the day!

Last edited by Reg18 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: NLPJD

Post by Molly »

Congrats Reg. That's as cool as ewt.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 1041 times

Post by kdawg2a »

That is fucking hot! First dibs!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

that there is all one needs - well done!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 378 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Nice. Like the finish checking. Do invest in a compensated tail though.
Was it well packed? I bought his jtm45 and it arrived today with a partial sheet of bubble and little else, bare ends, no boxing etc. Fortunately it was unscathed but a large scotch was required before I dared fire it up
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Dharmajester wrote:Nice. Like the finish checking. Do invest in a compensated tail though.
Was it well packed? I bought his jtm45 and it arrived today with a partial sheet of bubble and little else, bare ends, no boxing etc. Fortunately it was unscathed but a large scotch was required before I dared fire it up
Yeah similar concerns tbh. He taped the latches shut on the case and added a couple of fragile stickers!
An amp is a bit different though, at least mine was already in a hardcase.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 378 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Reg18 wrote:
Dharmajester wrote:Nice. Like the finish checking. Do invest in a compensated tail though.
Yeah similar concerns tbh. He taped the latches shut on the case and added a couple of fragile stickers!
An amp is a bit different though, at least mine was already in a hardcase.
We both dodged a mishap there. Insurance cover on shipping is patchy at best but non existent on poorly packed items.
On a better note we must reunite them next time you're down, would make a respectable noise I suspect.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Nice score, love it Reg !! It's awesome when you get your hands on something like this that inspires you to want to play it.

I remember reading somewhere (and I'm assuming I have this the right way round as this will be its' original paintjob), if the checking on LP's runs down the body it's natural. If it runs across the body (left to right) then that often indicates that it has likely had a refinish.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

How bizarre!
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Nice score, love it Reg !! It's awesome when you get your hands on something like this that inspires you to want to play it.

I remember reading somewhere (and I'm assuming I have this the right way round as this will be its' original paintjob), if the checking on LP's runs down the body it's natural. If it runs across the body (left to right) then that often indicates that it has likely had a refinish.
I wouldn't put any stock into that theory. I've got plenty of old original finish guitars that check across from bass to treble.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Nice one Reg, looks like a pearler!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

Nice guitar, but can you play American Idiot?

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

I think it's time to point out that Reg got this guitar not because of trying out Arthurs awesome original 55 lp jr at the last gearfest but because he's a massive Green Day fan boi. Fact.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

noice mate!! I like it!! love Gibbys with P90s

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

kdawg2a wrote:I think it's time to point out that Reg got this guitar not because of trying out Arthurs awesome original 55 lp jr at the last gearfest but because he's a massive Green Day fan boi. Fact.
Absolutely! Even if you don’t like Green Day (or GD as us fan bois call them) you have to respect the technical proficiency and the way Billie Joe dances around the fretboard! One of best guitar players of our generation. Fact.