NGD: 1978 Fender P bass

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Re: NGD: 1978 Fender P bass

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Kev77 wrote:
snitchez wrote:Cleaned up well. Darn it. I should keep my eye out for a nice old P. La Bellas are indeed the way to go
Thomastik are the gold standard for flats,
Yes I did toss up between those and the la bella flats. They were a lot more expensive but im sure they are fine strings. I have to say the la bella strings feel fantastic tension and smoothness wise.

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

Kev77 wrote:
snitchez wrote:Cleaned up well. Darn it. I should keep my eye out for a nice old P. La Bellas are indeed the way to go
I’ll have to trust you and talkbass on that’s opinion (just kidding, I know you are right).
Yet to pony up for the TI. Maybe when I have a 70s p bass I finally will. About to have La Bella’s on my g&L too.... scary thought as I haven’t changed the strings on that for a couple of years now

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

I don’t think I ever replaced bass strings due to age, only for feel. :D
(And to go to flats on my mustang)
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

snitchez wrote:
Kev77 wrote:
I’ll have to trust you and talkbass on that’s opinion (just kidding, I know you are right).
Yet to pony up for the TI. Maybe when I have a 70s p bass I finally will. About to have La Bella’s on my g&L too.... scary thought as I haven’t changed the strings on that for a couple of years now
Funny gauges, nickel...yeah nah.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Single coil wrote:I don’t think I ever replaced bass strings due to age, only for feel. :D
Apparently duck done never changed a set. He broke a string once and replaced it with a ddario flat chrome. But left the rest.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:
Single coil wrote:I don’t think I ever replaced bass strings due to age, only for feel. :D
Apparently duck done never changed a set. He broke a string once and replaced it with a ddario flat chrome. But left the rest.
The bass player that came to our last Gearfest said he didn't change his strings because he wanted to hear more of the fundamental. I guess new strings create more overtones.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Blah blah boil trick - they just don’t need doing.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Tastes change. I used to like the zingy feel and sound of brand new round wounds. And I'd only ever play finger style. Fast forward 15 years and I'm on a totally different wave length. Love a palm muted pick sound with flats . I expect I'll like these la Bellas even more in a year's time once the are stinky and less bright

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

curiously I'm round about the same point now, have always used roundwounds and have always played fingerstyle even though I know I should pick the faster runs, I've been bloody minded.

Time for some flatties and I already have a couple of big stubbies I'm testing out.

as always IB:JB
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:
Think I got my '76 P in 2003
Once I set it up its never had a string change (D'Addario Chromes)

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:Tastes change. I used to like the zingy feel and sound of brand new round wounds. And I'd only ever play finger style. Fast forward 15 years and I'm on a totally different wave length. Love a palm muted pick sound with flats . I expect I'll like these la Bellas even more in a year's time once the are stinky and less bright
All flats have a wear in period.

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

Half my basses have flats (la Bella Deep talking) and the other half has sadowsky nickel round wounds.

When I was using rotosounds years ago I would replace a set every two months or so, just felt wrong after that duration. Now stuff gets changed only if I’m bored lol