Horror Stories

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: Horror Stories

Post by Single coil »

If you want a broken amp feel free to bid on mine :lol:

Ooh here’s another g rated horror story:
2011, James wants a small amp for pissing around with because an ac30 is just immense.
So I go buy this tiny little Jansen thing. 20 odd watts, all solid state. 12” speaker, volume and tone and that’s that.

15 minutes later it just stops.
Not sure why.
No power no nothing.

I think I got most of the purchase price back - $125 or something total. Props to the dude who sold it to me but yeh.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

telefiend wrote:Yes please with the good vibes.
Maybe it's perspective that helps out. I've had plenty of things go wrong etc...but the process of getting them sorted has always delivered some kind of silver lining. Life is too short to dwell on shyte.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Ding ding!

also it’s called horror stories for a reason :lol:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

My Grandad had a pre-WW2 Dobro that my grandmother gave away in the seventies because it was old. Kept the tenor banjos he had though.
Tin arse!!

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

I think I just aged 10 years

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

GrantB wrote:
Maybe it's perspective that helps out. I've had plenty of things go wrong etc...but the process of getting them sorted has always delivered some kind of silver lining. Life is too short to dwell on shyte.
That's the kind of thing I was hoping to see in this thread. I'm sure we've all had some horror stories but they don't have to turn into a whinge session. One can almost always try to see the positive side of a frustrating/traumatising event.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Terexgeek wrote:My Grandad had a pre-WW2 Dobro that my grandmother gave away in the seventies because it was old. Kept the tenor banjos he had though.
I knew a woman who let her kids play in the street with a 1910 Gibson B-series mandolin. She had no idea what it was worth. (I did try to explain)

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:My Grandad had a pre-WW2 Dobro that my grandmother gave away in the seventies because it was old. Kept the tenor banjos he had though.
I knew a woman who let her kids play in the street with a 1910 Gibson B-series mandolin. She had no idea what it was worth. (I did try to explain)
:shock:
Tin arse!!

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

It was a cold, dark, stormy night...

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
I'm sure Tarantino can incorporate that into his next movie somehow...

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

codedog wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:
I'm sure Tarantino can incorporate that into his next movie somehow...
Sammy Jackson

Put the mother fucking mando fucking lin dowwwwwn
Or I swear I will reign upon thee a mighty motherfucking shitstorm on you little mother fuckers

Something along them lines :)
:mental:

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

codedog wrote:
GrantB wrote:
That's the kind of thing I was hoping to see in this thread. I'm sure we've all had some horror stories but they don't have to turn into a whinge session. One can almost always try to see the positive side of a frustrating/traumatising event.

Indeed. Along the range of traumatising events, x showed up a bit broken/y routed a hole in my z is pretty low.

Unless y routed a hole in your '62 strat or something...

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

Sanctuary wrote:This one: http://nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... an#p725589

Can't believe the guy is still in business.
I've had no dealings with this particular gentleman but certainly remember my bullshit detectors screaming at the promotional material he blitzed out when he first appeared on the Wellington scene.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Bought a DSL40 from a chap in the sticks near Whangarei. Drove all the way up to collect it. On plugging it in, quietest 40w amp I've ever heard in my life! Trip into Ryan (the Ryan of old) and a few hundred on a replacement transformer and it was going again. No recompense from the seller. Bugger.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Life is a beautiful horror story. I look at my garden and it's cycle of birth, sex and death.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus