Horror Stories

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

Re: Horror Stories

Post by Basket Case »

When I left school and got my first job (back in the early 90s) I scrimped and saved to get my dream guitar- a desert yellow Ibanez Jem (hideous I know). I hadn't had it long when, after a band practice in the parental's garage, my father decided it was in the way. He was vague on details but what I guess happened was that he picked the guitar up by its stand and the Jem fell onto the concrete floor. It wasn't pretty and I ended up trading it for something that was probably only worth around $400-500. The kicker is that the guitar is still around today being giged. In hindsight, most of the damage was probably only superficial and could be repaired but I was too young and stupid to realise. That said, I wasn't as cut up about it as I would have been if I had actually liked the guitar- I fell out of love with it pretty quickly.
Last edited by Basket Case on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

Basket Case wrote:When I left school and got my first job (back in the early 90s) I scrimped and saved to get my dream guitar- a desert yellow Ibanez Jem (hideous I know). I hadn't had it long when, after a band practice in the parental's garage, my father decided it was in the way. He was vague on details but what I guess happened was that he picked the guitar up by its stand and the Jem fell onto the concrete floor. It wasn't pretty and I ended up trading it for something that was probably only worth around $400-500. The kicker is that the guitar. In hindsight, most of the damage was probably only superficial and could be repaired but I was too young and stupid to realise. That said, I wasn't as cut up about it as I would have been if I had actually liked the guitar- I fell out of love with it pretty quickly.
Classic dad antics there. Moving things around, no known reason.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I've struggled to contribute to this thread as I just couldn't think of any guitar-related ill-fortine. Then I remembered the self-inflicted horrors....

Got my hands on a Squier Strat at their first release. Took out the 21st fret. Cut out the last bit of rosewood and shaped and glued in a slightly longer one so I could have 22 frets. It wasn't neat and 'intonation' wasn't a word in my vocabulary. Later carved it up for humbucker but we all did that, eh?

Bought my first Les Paul about '82. It was a couple of years old. A sunburst Deluxe. Cost me about ten weeks' pay. Stupidly decided mini-humbuckrrs weren't cool so took a chisel to it and fitted a SD 59 and DiMarzio X2N. Finished job looked ok but underneath it wasn't pretty. I swapped the old pickups for a couple of sets of strings... Well, they were shit, eh? :headslap:

A few years later I took a router to a custom, air-brushed US Kramer Beretta. I fitted a neck single coil at the same angle as the bridge humbucker. I'd never used a router before and didn't think to practice first. Well, how hard could it be?
Last edited by Molly on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Think my Dalmatian knocked a guitar over once.
It didn’t have far to fall and she knew she’d fucked up.

Ooh.
My first les paul. DW03 serial so 2003.
About 10 years ago.
I go to put uhh ... d’addario 11s on it cuz apparently that’s what I used in the 6th form, and the stopbar anchors pop out.

Sorted it with a bit of araldite but still pretty spooky to watch lol
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

Mine is a self inflicted comedy of amateurish endeavours or a jinxed piece of wood tale

Wanted a lap steel (pedal less) to learn/play and quite liked the look of the gretsch ones, having never played one before decided to start out low and found an aliexpress copy for next to nothing.
Arrived Nov, worked fine but wanted more
Plain wood with a poly coating of about 3mm thick
So decided to alter it to look and behave more like the gretsch
removed the cheap humbucker and ring and wood filled and rerouted hole for a gretsch pickup,
first time using a router ever and worked surprisingly well , routed thru my block inserts as if they were original, routed side cut along body
all a first for me, woodworking not my strong point
great start then it all went pair shaped
bought cheap ass metallic silver rattle can and clears, decided to leave smooth existing finish so sanded and painted over, looked great until the clears reacted with the metallic and crazed it all.
sand and start again
repaint silver wait 5 days mist clears on very slowly this time, looked ok
wait couple of days, sand orange peel and polish ok
left on towel overnight and next morning towel marks in bottom of paint finish, WTF
sand and repaint left for two weeks to harden, sand orange peel and polish
decide I want to change crap fender style adjustable bridge to string thru body holes and flat bar solid bridge
drilled holes for bridge and it lifted the paint away from the body as it broke thru the wood badly
resand repaint, wet sand now made wood swell by getting into new string holes on body and go furry
more swearing and resanding,repainting, waiting,
bout week 3-4 by now
started reassemble guitar and again paint just too soft when working with guitar, was never going to last
talked to various painters, rattle cans just too unknown to be constant and air dry never going to harden enough
start back to bare wood this time as paint just unbelievably thick and to remove any effects of bad rattle can softening the new coats
wet sanding caused all sorts of warping twisting swelling around any screw holes and bare wood of routed section, lots of swearing
complete new sand, new paint brand and change colour in dulux with their two part hardener clears, cans bought in total now 6 for this piece of wood
dulux metallic yellow can very small, barely enough colour as the yellow just needed so many coats to cover, in some lights just a bit thin but mostly on bottom so going to accept this. want it finished and by this stage paint was nearly as dear as guitar so bugger it
deluxe 2 part clears spray came out very thick and dries fast so major orange peel and very also small can so not many coats to play with
wondered this is going to get interesting trying to remove orange peel later
getting really over it by now, left it for a month this time till all smells had gone, just in case
sanded and buffed, could only get 75% of the orange peel but wasn't going to risk having to start again, kinda expected this

finally went to reassemble last night.
old bridge plate screw holes that were filled and completely invisible at time of painting 1 month ago are now visibly obvious lumps due to I guess wood shrinkage/ paint reaction who knows
they are under the bridge guard but Damm I know there there and thats enough to kill my OCD
discovered carefully drilled hole for earth wire from new bridge to pickup cavity had blocked up with wet sand sludge and wood swelling
spend on hour clearing that
discovered perspex fretboard has in two pieces, no one know who broke that, probably dog
stuck it on anyway, smallest piece ,broke at 3rd fret wouldn't sit flat so tried to drip a few spots of superglue under it,
managed to get superglue on my new painted top
tried to sand and buff that superglue run out, went thru clears to paint damn
slipped with pliers doing up nut on pots, scratched new scratch plate and nicked paint on top damn
it still needs waterslide deal headstock and screws for scratch plate and a new un-cracked fretboard if I'm to live with it but its done.
learnt valuable lessons along way so apart from such a long job will make future efforts better.
Far too fussy with my own work so I know every flaw and it will haunt me forever just like every bit of wallpaper or paint or whatever Ive done in the house.
nobody else would notice but I know its there dammit.
IMG_0793.JPG

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

11 yr old pupil stood up and knocked over music stand during lesson.
Stand punched hole clean through top my Ramirez 1a concert guitar (these instruments have a current rrp of ~ $18,000 new.)

"Err, that's ok Luke, accidents happen"

I won't repeat how a local luthier compounded the damage with their repair and refinsh, it's in the forum somewhere.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by telefiend »

Ears wrote:11 yr old pupil stood up and knocked over music stand during lesson.
Stand punched hole clean through top my Ramirez 1a concert guitar (these instruments have a current rrp of ~ $18,000 new.)

I won't repeat how a local luthier compounded the damage with their repair and refinsh, it's in the forum somewhere.
Holy heck! Good self control :lol:

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

telefiend wrote:

That kid will never appreciate what really happened that day. It's best to leave it that way.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by xCaptainx »

I once sold a BC Rich Flying V guitar in a FB group. It was snapped up very quickly by a young man that I recognised as a guitarist in a hamilton based metal band.

"What luck!" I exclaimed, as we were set to perform together just a few nights later.

"I'll bring it with me!"

Even more fortunate, we had the same bank, so payment was instantaneous.

24 hours later, he sends me a message to break some 'unfortunate' news to me.

HIs band had discussed the purchase with him, and had decided to veto his decision as the V was 'not a good look' for their metal band. They wouldn't let him play it live.

I passed on details of three other people who I had said 'no' to, and told him to arrange purchase/delivery to any of those interested parties as I was not going to cancel a purchase for such a inane excuse. He was receiving his guitar the next day.

The following night, I saw his metal band perform in the standard of fashion that his adult peers were desperate not to tarnish; a yellow spongebob squarepants shirt and a sports sweatbands on wrists and head. :roll:

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by xCaptainx »

Not really a 'repair' story but was enough of a horror story as I have had.

I did have an Auckland luthier go radio silent for two weeks when I attempted to pick up a straight forward setup job. They had gone on tour, apparently, and had forgotten to tell their clients. Thanks....

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Ears wrote:
telefiend wrote:

That kid will never appreciate what really happened that day. It's best to leave it that way.
Wow that is restrained alright!

I have a similar but much lesser story. I used to lend my Ibanez Jem to a young guy. I was in the middle of a conversation with someone, and over their shoulder i saw the young guy pick up my unlatched case and spill the guitar facedown onto the concrete floor. Lucky it was not a pristine guitar, and i don't baby my gear.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by telefiend »

xCaptainx wrote: The following night, I saw his metal band perform in the standard of fashion that his adult peers were desperate not to tarnish; a yellow spongebob squarepants shirt and a sports sweatbands on wrists and head. :roll:
Sounds like a good look :lol: What guitar was he rocking with this?
Last edited by telefiend on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

My only luthier horror story is more of an annoyance than anything. I sent my acoustic over to another town to repair a rattle that bothers me. First of all he disagreed that it was there. He said it might be loose wiring. I said I didn't think so, but if that's what it is, please sort and i'll pay.

8 weeks or so later I called to check on progress. He hadn't opened the case yet, but still said he didn't think the rattle I described was actually there. I was pretty annoyed and got the guitar picked up. It still rattles.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Fuck that guy
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.