NWGD [quick resto thread, video]

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

NWGD [quick resto thread, video]

Post by Single coil »

New Whackass Guitar Day.

Let's begin with some rip it apart pictures.
It came with buggered 9s, I think; one missing, frets are gettin down, amongst other things.

Also, how the fuck do you do this?

Audio taper 500k pots, tested at about 395k lol. Anyone know what this brand is?

Seriously weird wiring.

Ooh, isn't this a nice lookin bit of wood.

This is ... Sorta what's goin on with the wiring.

And here we are on the bench, pre - in bits mode.

A close up, showcasing the harmonica bridge, baby shit green pickups, non original speed knobs, and some other shit.

Now - Who knows anything about this brand?
All I could find is They might have had something to do with Ibanez, and They're great players but you need to like a big neck. :?

It is an Arirang. Arirang is a folk song to Korea as Sakura Sakura is to Japan, so one assumes it is Korean.
Fret shot.

Non adjustable pole, cheap pickups.

Harmonica bridge is weird.

This is sorta how fat the neck is. It is literally a half round baseball bat. SO good.

Non original switchcraft sg style jack?

Weird bent pickups. Turns out someone's flipped the magnet/s so they're out of phase in the middle. :problem:

The only like ... Time-inspired wear on it: Some lacquer wtfing.

Aaaaand this is all cleaned up.

How do I deal with this? Re lacquer it?

Here we are in bits. New switch tip, one new pot, and the cool as fuck (I think) clear speed knobs. Notice it's a neck through design? 8) 8) 8)

So. James has procured another fuckin whack job guitar. It says Arirang on the headstock. That's literally it. No serial, no other markings.
Tuners have been replaced with gotoh units. One pot was dodgy so I replaced that. Rewired with 60s style (which was stupid so I'll change it later). Knobs and switch tip replaced, pickup rings replaced (courtesy of some dude who's dealing to my goldtop :angel: ) after they disintegrated in my hands, pickups soon to be replaced once I've found something suitable!

Here it is, same picture as the whole setup thread but whatever. Sure you won't mind.

And here's the idiocy video.

As far as it goes, the out of phase pickups are a bit annoying, but I can add a switch for that later.
Thinking I'll go 1 volume 1 tone with two DPDT's, like the aria but less knobs. I'll see how I go. Otherwise it'll be push pulls.
Finding it really nice ergonomically, and that neck is just sublime. It is so comically large. So good.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: NWGD [quick resto thread, video]

Post by Single coil »

Here we are, with the ibanez super 70s I managed to happen upon.

werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.