The Acoustic Guitar Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Re: The Acoustic Guitar Thread

Post by codedog »

Molly wrote:
codedog wrote:
Molly wrote:Played a 12 fret mahogany in Dunedin recently. Stuck in my mind a bit...
Hah! The acoustic game is a slippery slope to some kind of hell/heaven mix, but a 12-fret is a must I reckon. I played one and 3 months later I bought one. Just couldn't get it out of my head.

Mahogany 12-fret you say? I played a Taylor mahogany 12-fret, just gorgeous, simply out of my price range, and logistics was nearly impossible at the time.

Get a 12-fret, mate, you won't regret it! I'm loving my Art & Lutherie Roadhouse. There were a couple in ChCh RS. Give it a whirl next time you're there.
Just took a look. I'll follow that up for sure. Did it come with a case?
Unfortunately not, that was the only drawback about this one...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

codedog wrote: Unfortunately not, that was the only drawback about this one...
Still, considering it's made in Canada it's a great price. How you liking it?

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Molly wrote:
codedog wrote: Unfortunately not, that was the only drawback about this one...
Still, considering it's made in Canada it's a great price. How you liking it?
Loving it! It's such a pleasure to play. Something about a small, yet surprisingly resonant, guitar that makes me want to pick it up and play. I enjoy it for both strumming and finger picking. It feels raw and rough in a very charming way. It has a very particular tone that I enjoy. Don't expect anything refined, it's just a lot of fun.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

StratMatt wrote:Watching a few Darren Watson lessons on YouTube today got me wanting a J45.
J45s are great, not to be confused with the LG-2 which Darren plays.

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

Molly wrote:So now I want a 12 fret Taylor. Crap. I can't afford to get into these things...

i was saving my pennies for a Martin HD28VS.... should have jumped on it sooner, as it got sold before i could decide!

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

robnobcorncob wrote:
StratMatt wrote:Watching a few Darren Watson lessons on YouTube today got me wanting a J45.
J45s are great, not to be confused with the LG-2 which Darren plays.
I sit corrected, cheers.
Loving it so far

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

There is also the small matter that Darren could play finger style blues on a biscuit tin with rubber bands and it would sound glorious . . .

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Of all my unjustifiable gear this one takes the cake. I thoroughly enjoy acoustics, hence this one taking that spot at the top. Larrivée D-03 Walnut. It's supposedly spruce top with walnut back and sides. However, my biggest surprise about this guitar is how much it does not weigh! Seriously, the body must be all solid Select Canadian Air Spruce/Walnut hybrid. I can believe the neck is mahogany but, overall, this thing is so light it feels fragile in my hands, which I'm sure it is not.

'Tis a thing of beauty. These are shit photos so they fail to show the figuring in the top.

Last edited by codedog on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I'm the last person to say this but that's not a guitar, it's a heirloom.

Congrats.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Molly wrote:I'm the last person to say this but that's not a guitar, it's a heirloom.

Congrats.
Thanks... and aye, I agree wholeheartedly. While this is at the low end of Larrivée it is still a thing of beauty and pleasure. It is my type of guitar... nothing flashy but an absolute pleasure to play. Gear wise, short of occasional curiosity in cheap pedals, I am extremely happy with what I have. Fingers crossed I want for naught.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Congrats mate. I’ve also got a D-03, of which I can’t find a photo, but it’s bloody great player and sounds fantastic.
Loving it so far

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

codedog wrote:
Molly wrote:I'm the last person to say this but that's not a guitar, it's a heirloom.

Congrats.
Thanks... and aye, I agree wholeheartedly. While this is at the low end of Larrivée it is still a thing of beauty and pleasure. It is my type of guitar... nothing flashy but an absolute pleasure to play. Gear wise, short of occasional curiosity in cheap pedals, I am extremely happy with what I have. Fingers crossed I want for naught.
To be fair, Larrivee don't do low end! I've got an LV02, and it's an absolutely killer guitar. Keep hold of it, Larrivee are unbeatable value, and tonally superior to pretty much anything commercially available. Great choice, I'd say.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

That's very true, "low" is a very relative term indeed. This is going nowhere :D

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Confession: I've owned 9 Larrivees, so I obviously like something about them. But strangely enough I've ended up not keeping any of them. My favourite was a C09

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Polar Bear wrote:
codedog wrote:

Congrats.
To be fair, Larrivee don't do low end! I've got an LV02, and it's an absolutely killer guitar. Keep hold of it, Larrivee are unbeatable value, and tonally superior to pretty much anything commercially available. Great choice, I'd say.
Some time back, Roger had both an LV-09 and a LV-10. I played both of them a lot while I tried to convince my wife this was an essential purchase. (Fat chance :bummed: )
They were both gorgeous but in the end, I think I swayed toward the LV-09. Would love to meet it again.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.