DY Guitars... thoughts?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

DY Guitars... thoughts?

Post by Mini Forklift »

Granted, some of them look pretty average (funnily enough it's the SRV & Rory ones at the top of the page I think look the naffest), but I am kinda tempted by the Philip Sayce one :?

Guessing the electrics and pickups aren't going to floor anyone, but they're easy swaps. Thoughts?

http://dyguitars.yolasite.com/shop-and- ... orders.php

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Re: DY Guitars... thoughts?

Post by WellyBlues »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Granted, some of them look pretty average (funnily enough it's the SRV & Rory ones at the top of the page I think look the naffest), but I am kinda tempted by the Philip Sayce one :?

Guessing the electrics and pickups aren't going to floor anyone, but they're easy swaps. Thoughts?

Personally I'm thinking they're all a bit naff. But I see where he's coming from. No headstock photos, so are they Fender stocks or his own? The effect would be ruined if they weren't Fender I think.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Misread that as DIY guitars and that's exactly what they look like.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

WellyBlues wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Granted, some of them look pretty average (funnily enough it's the SRV & Rory ones at the top of the page I think look the naffest), but I am kinda tempted by the Philip Sayce one :?

Personally I'm thinking they're all a bit naff. But I see where he's coming from. No headstock photos, so are they Fender stocks or his own? The effect would be ruined if they weren't Fender I think.
Yeah good point. He has his own logo on the headstock I think, remember watching a clip on YT a while back showing the Philip Sayce one.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Molly wrote:Misread that as DIY guitars and that's exactly what they look like.
Well essentially they are!

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

I like the Summers Tele, but yeah the look a bit, um, rushed. Might need to budget for some fretwork/setup and possibly new pickups if you want something awesome.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

honestly I would say they are overpriced. All have Basswood bodies (nothing "wrong" with that) so why not just buy a kit and DIY one? you will get the same thing for a lot less money.

better still I see a guy on trade me who is making fender type bodies made from basswood for F all money, then get one of those necks of the guy in wellington and boom you're on your way :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

They're probably just the aliexpress ones maybe?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Boy, that relic trend lets people get away with some rough workmanship!
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

olegmcnoleg wrote:I like the Summers Tele, but yeah the look a bit, um, rushed. Might need to budget for some fretwork/setup and possibly new pickups if you want something awesome.
Well this is what his 'Sayce' Strat sounds like with some decent pickups in. Bloody lovely if you ask me :clap:

"Messing around with my new strat from DY Guitars, which now is loaded with Lungren's BJFE Strat pickups, very nice and full sounding pickups, and the guitar is simply great, extremely light weight and resonant."

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

These Lungrens probably cost as much as the guitar lol.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio