Current cost of a refret

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

shednz
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Current cost of a refret

Post by shednz »

Hey all - wondering what the cost of refretting a neck is stinging people at the moment. I have a maple neck that needs done - quote is $600 unfinished. Love the neck but wondering about buying new neck instead given $$. Thoughts?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Current cost of a refret

Post by Molly »

shednz wrote:Hey all - wondering what the cost of refretting a neck is stinging people at the moment. I have a maple neck that needs done - quote is $600 unfinished. Love the neck but wondering about buying new neck instead given $$. Thoughts?
Crap! Really....? I wonder how many hours are in that - to do it properly that is.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

that seems... high. I saw one for a refret on a finished neck for like $350AUD which seems more reasonable
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Anything above $500 I’d be expecting stainless or on something that’s real cunty to do.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Is it realistic to hope to radius each fret and cut it to exact length before pressing it in? When I think about this job it's the thought of getting the ends right without damaging the finish that seems impossible. How do you file a fret end such that it's not proud or sharp without at the same time making contact with the finish?

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

I think I paid Warren audio zephyr $400 for a refret, set up, bone nut. 2 years ago though.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I would expect lacquer finish for that much. Where are you based?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

shednz wrote:Hey all - wondering what the cost of refretting a neck is stinging people at the moment. I have a maple neck that needs done - quote is $600 unfinished. Love the neck but wondering about buying new neck instead given $$. Thoughts?
Is that you Scott? Call Steve Barkman. Last conversation we had about refrets I'm sure was around half that.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

It depends on the neck, but thats the extreme end
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote:
Crap! Really....? I wonder how many hours are in that - to do it properly that is.
It depends on the neck, the frets etc
I've done refrets in 3 hours and others have taken 8 hours in the end.
How much do you charge out? For me, at the moment, I'm enjoying doing it and making guitars play great.
Else I'd be charging real costs, or I'd be taking short cuts.

The other questions would be :
How much do you love that neck?
Is it a bolt on.
Is it vintage.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Wow I hope they're using lube when they fuck you!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

shednz
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by shednz »

The other questions would be :
How much do you love that neck?
Is it a bolt on.
Is it vintage.
Love it.
Bolt on.
Vintage.

extra care required for vintage eh?
Lacquer was quite a bit more, but I imagine that's a job to get just so.
anyone had neck without lacquer?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I reckon that is high for a maple bolt on neck, it would be a pain to do and keep the lacquer on the edges. Yeah Molly, you can do each one before they're pressed in, but that would double the time I reckon. Like you can keep the nibs on bound necks, but it takes way extra time.
As Grant says, its probably quicker to re-lacquer after the refret. I'm still learning and he is the master :D

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Some techs charge more for maple, as it's harder to hide any mistakes than with Rosewood. Also re-lacquering the surface of the board can take longer than the re-fret itself if done properly and allowed to cure (proper climate control/humidity, ticketed spray booth etc.. it all adds up). Not to mention if it's an old neck where the lacquer has yellowed somewhat, and the new lacquer on the fingerboard has to be tinted to colour match the back and the headstock.... if not done right this can look terrible. "Why is the fingerboard so pale and shiny?" etc....

YMMV of course.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

robnobcorncob wrote:Some techs charge more for maple, as it's harder to hide any mistakes than with Rosewood. Also re-lacquering the surface of the board can take longer than the re-fret itself if done properly and allowed to cure (proper climate control/humidity, ticketed spray booth etc.. it all adds up). Not to mention if it's an old neck where the lacquer has yellowed somewhat, and the new lacquer on the fingerboard has to be tinted to colour match the back and the headstock.... if not done right this can look terrible. "Why is the fingerboard so pale and shiny?" etc....

YMMV of course.
So, excuse all the rookie questions, when the refret is done is the lacquer applied over the frets or are they masked-off? That'd be hard to do you'd think.

I recall Fender necks with chips of lacquer on the fret sides like they'd done the clear after fretting and over the entire neck and it'd just chipped away with use. Looked terrible.