Contemporary Guitar ?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Contemporary Guitar ?

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I have mainly owned classic "type" guitars like Telecasters, Les Paul's, various Gibsons and some PRS's (mainly SE's) etc, and currently have an SG. I've been thinking about how I can get some cash to buy Mal's LP Special but then started thinking about what I refer to as "modern guitars".

I was thinking it could be kinda fun to own something pointy with a Floyd just for a change. It's definitly not something I have considered much in the past so don't know a great deal about such instruments. I found myself looking at Ibanez RG's and even GEM's today although I think the built-in handle is maybe a step to far for my sensibilities :winky:
Last edited by sizzlingbadger on Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: Pointy Guitar ?

Post by Single coil »

I’d aim for a mockingbird.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Single coil wrote:I’d aim for a mockingbird.
nah, I think super strat is about my limit shape-wise.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Jackson SL1.
Thru neck, Floyd, hss with hot rails at middle and neck.

Briefly had one yonks ago - ebony fretboard and all. Very cool guitar. Just... quite uhh ... black :lol:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I've loved every JS I've owned. Then I get poor so they get sold :( The trems are superb. They will slide a little on your knee, but I'll happily put a strap on anyway! IB;JB
Next build will be a JS for me. I know at least that way it won't get sold ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Ibanez do make very good floyd variations

Get something with a kahler for maximum pain in the arse

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote:I've loved every JS I've owned. Then I get poor so they get sold :( The trems are superb. They will slide a little on your knee, but I'll happily put a strap on anyway! IB;JB
Next build will be a JS for me. I know at least that way it won't get sold ;)
Listen to this man, the neck alone will make you feel more comfortable, especially coming from teles, it's not a paper thin RG style!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Having owned one, they are seriously cool guitars, neck heavy, but a decent strap cures that, kinda miss the one I had, but it's in the best hands now eh DM!! :thumbup:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Another vote for a JS. Its like a souped up strat, super comfy to play. Try and get a Original Edge trem over the Pro.
Loving it so far

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

JS = Joe Satriani ?

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Yes.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I haven't even picked up a guitar like this from a hanger so have no idea :rofl:

The neck on my SG is 60's style, fairly small, so an RG would be even smaller ?

Just checked out the JS's via Google, I like the look of them, nice rounded body shape.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

sizzlingbadger wrote:JS = Joe Satriani ?
Yes, they used to just be called Radius I believe. So rounded off strat shaped body with curves to die for.
I prefer the js1200 as its candy apple red. JS100 is the cheapie of the bunch and comes up often on TM but its not the prestige one. So js1200, js1000 etc the necks aren't too skinny and the trems work :) I believe opsguy is selling a JS at the mo as well - handy ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

jeremyb wrote:
Having owned one, they are seriously cool guitars, neck heavy, but a decent strap cures that, kinda miss the one I had, but it's in the best hands now eh DM!! :thumbup:
And it's never leaving me! I'm kind of like the forum anti-Molly in that respect :lol:

Wouldn’t say it was particularly modern though, more a modernised classic.

Eleventeenth vote for a JS too, kind of the same deal as the Mockingbird, but from the other direction. A modern shred stick with some nice classic touches. Have loved every one I've played and am not entirely sure why I don't own one.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Bg wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:JS = Joe Satriani ?
Yes, they used to just be called Radius I believe. So rounded off strat shaped body with curves to die for.
I prefer the js1200 as its candy apple red. JS100 is the cheapie of the bunch and comes up often on TM but its not the prestige one. So js1200, js1000 etc the necks aren't too skinny and the trems work :) I believe opsguy is selling a JS at the mo as well - handy ;)
He is.... Ibanez JS2410 (the orange one) as new $2000
Japanese Ibanez prestige... can't go wrong :)