NGD: Muscle Car Orange

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: NGD: Muscle Car Orange

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:
StratMatt wrote: Looks like you have it sussed, but for good tips on ibanez and floating trem setups, ibanezrules.com has everything you'll ever need to know.
Yeah, I found that site and read all about the floating trem before I started, made life much easier. The intonation needs a bit a of a tweak but I'll do that tonight as it looks like it will be a bit of pita.
Theres a proper tool you can buy for setting it, personally I'd just get a tech who has the tool to do it :mental:
Use anything to push them BUT a crosshead screwdriver. Don't ask how I know :(
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I'll probably do the long way by slackening the string off, only 3 need tweaking anyway.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

but yeah, once set up properly, you shouldn't need to tune, maybe just a tweak on the fine tuners occasionally. Thats what the FR is all about ;)

and it ain't rocket science amirite?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Bg wrote:but yeah, once set up properly, you shouldn't need to tune, maybe just a tweak on the fine tuners occasionally. Thats what the FR is all about ;)

Just remember to use the strings with the coloured ends

Makes it easier :mental:
:mental:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Olderama wrote:
Bg wrote:but yeah, once set up properly, you shouldn't need to tune, maybe just a tweak on the fine tuners occasionally. Thats what the FR is all about ;)

Just remember to use the strings with the coloured ends

Makes it easier :mental:
banned. obviously.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:
banned. obviously.
I love your irrational hatred of the coloured ball end.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

its even better when someone has them at the headstock end

jaxman16
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jaxman16 »

That's sick! Pretty jealous

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote:
Bg wrote:
banned. obviously.
It's perfectly rational. Its assuming I'm so stupid that I need colour coding to realise which string is which, like the immediately apparent difference in thickness is just not enough. And its taunting poor people who suffer from colour blindness. And I'll not stand for it I tell you!

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Olderama »

Bg wrote:
Molly wrote:
Bg wrote:
banned. obviously.
It's perfectly rational. Its assuming I'm so stupid that I need colour coding to realise which string is which, like the immediately apparent difference in thickness is just not enough. And its taunting poor people who suffer from colour blindness. And I'll not stand for it I tell you!
Their all red arnt they :D

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Danger Mouse wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:What amazed me was when I took it out of the case it was still in tune, and I mean really in tune, each string went green on my pitch black, never experienced that before with my older style guitars, my SG goes out of tune with the phases of the moon :rofl:
Welcome to good quality floyds and Ibanez's arguably better variant. I have had the same strings on a guitar for over 4 years (yes I am that lazy) and it barely needed a tweak on the fine tuners over that entire period.
Hmmm care to share the brand of these magical 4 year old strings? :D

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

griff7628 wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:What amazed me was when I took it out of the case it was still in tune, and I mean really in tune, each string went green on my pitch black, never experienced that before with my older style guitars, my SG goes out of tune with the phases of the moon :rofl:
Welcome to good quality floyds and Ibanez's arguably better variant. I have had the same strings on a guitar for over 4 years (yes I am that lazy) and it barely needed a tweak on the fine tuners over that entire period.
Hmmm care to share the brand of these magical 4 year old strings? :D
Ha they aren't magical, I'm just a bedroom player and not hard on my strings.

Fuck knows, it was about 7 years ago, maybe D'Addario XLs? Maybe BG can share what they were eventually replaced with, which are the strings currently on the guitar. He put them on when he did a set up for me. About 2 1/2 years ago.

I'm not very good at replacing strings.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Haha cool!
I only really use coated strings now. Can get months out of them if I need. Bless coated strings!

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Spent an hour or so fine tuning the JS this morning, made the action a touch higher (now measures 2mm at the 24th fret) and set the intonation. I managed to find the locking screws in the trem posts this time too, they required a smaller Allen key than I had tried before. Now that its all locked down if I stick to the same gauge and brand of strings it should be easy going from here out.

Takes a while to setup compared to a fixed bridge but it isn't really difficult. I expect I could do it in half the time now I have completed it once.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Olderama »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Spent an hour or so fine tuning the JS this morning, made the action a touch higher (now measures 2mm at the 24th fret) and set the intonation. I managed to find the locking screws in the trem posts this time too, they required a smaller Allen key than I had tried before. Now that its all locked down if I stick to the same gauge and brand of strings it should be easy going from here out.

Takes a while to setup compared to a fixed bridge but it isn't really difficult. I expect I could do it in half the time now I have completed it once.
I find setting a Floyd very satisfying :)