Educate me about Offsets

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Lostininverness
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Educate me about Offsets

Post by Lostininverness »

It's fair to say that the look of an offset guitar is a "slow grower" concept for me.

So what I'd like to know from you fine lot - in your opinion - is what makes an offset guitar so appealing? Starting with the traditional Jag/Jazzmasters, the switching looks complicated - is this an essential part of the sound, or can it be simplified like the American Professional series?

How essential is the traditional bridge on the Jag/Jazzmaster as compared to a bigsby type...

Do the original type pickups make the difference as well??

And then what are the things that are more appealing about other brands such as Fano or the firebirds???

All comment appreciated.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Re: Educate me about Offsets

Post by null_pointer »

ITS A TRAP!!

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Big question... Where to start...? :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

there is a thread here showing off offsets :winky:
it can be regular bridge/neck or both style switching, not necessary jag/JM switches

Fano you have to play one to appreciate one, they are absolutely great sounding guitars, but my words cannot convince you until you try one :winky:

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

I keep going back because I love the way they look. But (for me) they're just the wrong guitar to play so I end up selling after a short period :/ Wanna buy a Johnny Marr? HAHAHA!

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by mule »

I just think Jag's/JM's look gorgeous. Hard to quantify why beyond personal preference.

The switching on JM's is not really that weird. There is a rhythm switch that I think a lot of JM players just ignore, and besides that it's just a 3-way pickup select. Jag's seem unnecessarily complicated though...

This guy has written some interesting stuff about Fender offsets. I found it quite useful.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Mod a jazzmaster so it doesn’t have the rude ass rhythm circuit and away you go.
Chuck a mustang bridge on it and bobs nobbin yer aunty
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

I have only played two.... Ever.
The first was allegedly a fine guitar, but I had nothing to compare it with.
The second was definitely a fine guitar, accompanied by a fine player who ably demonstrated what a Jazzmaster was capable of.
Listening to it, I thought of Fender voices; Strat and Tele are quite distinctive sonic personalities and the Jazzmaster has another voice entirely. That was the thing that convinced me of their general goodness.
Also, I'm a big guy and they are comfortable to play.

You notice I haven't mentioned Jaguars? Don't get them at all. Further education required, I think.

Also, Nels Kline plays a Jazzmaster on 'Impossible Germany'. I'm sold.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

I had a classic player jazzmaster, a classic player HH jag, and a squier classic vibe (?) jazzmaster.

Squier one was good but felt a little flimsy.
Jag didn’t do it for me.
CPJM was good, but get rid of the pickups.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

I should play my telemaster more often.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

my tele (in my avatar) is an offset, so offsets are not just about JM or jags :rofl: :winky:

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

Things that appeal to me about Jazzmasters for the most part is the sound, (I personally prefer to drop the pots from 1meg to 500k) every time I hear a jangly Fender Type guitar that I like on YouTube or somewhere else it’s 90% of the time a JM. I have used the rhythm circuit live but it’s neither here nor there for me personally.
The Trem works better than a bigsby in my opinion, so I’d rather it come with a standard Trem
Than a Bigsby.
The bridge comes with its quirks though, Mastery bridge being the most expensive but best solution from what I’ve read. Mustang bridge works fine if it’s the same radius, but not all Jazzmasters are 9.5” radius (or what ever a standard Mustang is)
I’ve pursued with the stock bridge and used brass saddles that had slots and used some loctite to keep things from rattling. It solved most of the problems.
And finally the look is unique! There’s a million Strat and Teles being played everywhere under the sun, it’s nice to see something a bit different, even if it is a little strange looking. If the JM had come first I bet all the Indy guitarists would be playing Strats now though!

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

only "offset" guitar the even remotely interests me is the Charvel surfcaster...although at a stretch the EVH wolfgang is right on the boarder of being an offset :mrgreen:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

Thanks for all the responses so far. It's not a trap - honest! Possibly more like market research.

Hmmm, seems like the sound is a key, but the it seems that the switching isn't that important - good to know.

Slowy & Reg - thanks for the all the detail. It's good to get your opinions.

Would it be fair to say that fender offsets are a different animal to, say a fano, which has completely different hardware, pick ups etc?

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Magic Slim played fantastic old school blues on a Jazzmaster.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days