SOLD • 1980 Tokai ‘Reborn Old’ + OHSC

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: Tokai LP - what a difference nicel covers make

Post by willow13 »

godgrinder wrote:
willow13 wrote:I have noticed huge tone differences between cover and uncover duncan JB's in the past...uncovered have always sounded way better for me. I think "cutting of high end with covered" might be a "thing" :idea:
Yeah I watched a BKP comparison video before ordering these white pickups. The covered ones sounded a bit softer to me and these were 10 quids more each, surely I ain't gonna spend extra 20 quids to have my guitar sound softer...

I did a rough A/B test with Higainer with covered JB's vs uncovered JB in an Alder body dinky and the uncovered ones were WAY hotter
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

willow13 wrote:
godgrinder wrote:
willow13 wrote:I have noticed huge tone differences between cover and uncover duncan JB's in the past...uncovered have always sounded way better for me. I think "cutting of high end with covered" might be a "thing" :idea:
Yeah I watched a BKP comparison video before ordering these white pickups. The covered ones sounded a bit softer to me and these were 10 quids more each, surely I ain't gonna spend extra 20 quids to have my guitar sound softer...

I did a rough A/B test with Higainer with covered JB's vs uncovered JB in an Alder body dinky and the uncovered ones were WAY hotter
How rough? are we talking the same pickups with covers and then removed, the same height etc? or swapping out covered pickups and uncovered pickups the same height etc.

To me, I'm of the school of thought that I have a gain control and tmb controls on the amp for a reason, if the pickups aren't there for me, I'll adjust these to suit.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

godgrinder wrote:

I did a few comparisons there between the clean bridge tones but never got much difference coming through - tiny bit more responsive uncovered maybe.

I picked out no difference on the crunch tones 2:00 and 3:14. my ears are shot to shit but they both sounded the same.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
JHorner wrote:You weren't tempted to do covered neck, uncovered bridge?
Nah, people might start thinking I'm into Jimmy Page or something :think:
That is exactly why I do not do it. I do not even care what people think most of the time, but the prospect being accused of being a fanboy...... :D

I denied i had become a Randy Rhoads fanboy. I insisted that buying his amp reissue, the Vee, the 10 band, and the Dist+ was for tonal authenticity reasons. Yeah right.

Glynn said not to bother with Jimmy Page wiring, because most people never use all those options. I think I might. I like doing strange things like mixing a bridge humbucker with a split neck humbucker. Maybe i am kidding myself on this too and I am just prone to fanboyism.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Bg wrote:
godgrinder wrote:

I did a few comparisons there between the clean bridge tones but never got much difference coming through - tiny bit more responsive uncovered maybe.

I picked out no difference on the crunch tones 2:00 and 3:14. my ears are shot to shit but they both sounded the same.
I thin I heard a very slight difference in crunch sound. Not enough to conclude it was even the covers causing it tbh. He might have just needed to fart by then and it made his playing sound more compressed.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Now up for sale as I try to fund my latest GAS. It’s up on TradeMe so all the specs and info is posted there.

$2k (happy to deliver for free anywhere in Christchurch, Timaru or West Coast) or $2,050 shipped anywhere else for anyone on here :-)