Great write-up on Kossoff's famous '59 LP

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Great write-up on Kossoff's famous '59 LP

Post by Mini Forklift »

I was impressed with how much detail they actually go into, made for an extremely interesting read :thumbup:

https://www.theguitarmagazine.com/vinta ... -up-close/

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Re: Great write-up on Kossoff's famous '59 LP

Post by werdna »

Such a nice guitar.

Note that the weight of 8.67 pounds is light compared to recent non weight relieved non Custom Shop LPs which come in at 10-11 pounds. Gibson have nice light mahogany but they use it on the Custom Shop LPs. If I buy another LP, it'll be another Custom Shop, unless it has an outrageous stripey top in which case all sense goes out the window.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

werdna wrote:Such a nice guitar.

Note that the weight of 8.67 pounds is light compared to recent non weight relieved non Custom Shop LPs which come in at 10-11 pounds. Gibson have nice light mahogany but they use it on the Custom Shop LPs. If I buy another LP, it'll be another Custom Shop, unless it has an outrageous stripey top in which case all sense goes out the window.
Yeah, noticed that. Just put mine on the scales as a reference - 9.25lb.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

werdna wrote:Such a nice guitar.

My R7 is 8.77lb it feels crazy light compared to other LP's I've played, but it's also super resonant.

Interesting to note the string ends are sitting outside the tail piece? I wonder if just the brand of strings used that has a larger ball end, a quick google search showed a couple of other real '59 LP's that have the same thing?

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

werdna wrote:Note that the weight of 8.67 pounds is light compared to recent non weight relieved non Custom Shop LPs which come in at 10-11 pounds. Gibson have nice light mahogany but they use it on the Custom Shop LPs.
Yeah I noticed that many LP's with 9-hole weight relief are actually heavier than non-relieved R series... Makes me wonder how god damn heavy these would be without the holes.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

I enjoyed that article.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Lyle wrote:Interesting to note the string ends are sitting outside the tail piece? I wonder if just the brand of strings used that has a larger ball end, a quick google search showed a couple of other real '59 LP's that have the same thing?
Some people take the eye/ball end off a string and loop it through the new string so that when you pull it through it doesn’t go all the way in. Mainly seen it done with people that over-wrap as it means you don’t get any sharp ends poking out by the edge of the tailpiece. There’s a video on it, will post it up later when I’m back home.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote: Some people take the eye/ball end off a string and loop it through the new string so that when you pull it through it doesn’t go all the way in. Mainly seen it done with people that over-wrap as it means you don’t get any sharp ends poking out by the edge of the tailpiece. There’s a video on it, will post it up later when I’m back home.
I think I found the video. Haven't heard of that before, but I have encountered the sharp bit with top wrapping I'll have to give it a go.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Lyle wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:I think I found the video. Haven't heard of that before, but I have encountered the sharp bit with top wrapping I'll have to give it a go.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Have been listening to both of Back Street Crawler’s albums today. I’d wrongly assumed they’d be crap because Kossoff was fucked by this stage, but there’s some really inspired playing on there and they’re both pretty decent.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Another article here, page 12 onwards ;-)

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.c ... f38721ecb5