Kossoff's '59 LP reunited with Paul Rogers

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Kossoff's '59 LP reunited with Paul Rogers

Post by Mini Forklift »

Just came across this, seems like the current owner managed to meet up with Paul this week and the guitarist in his band used it onstage for several songs :)

As we walked to Paul Rodgers dressing room I was thinking, hold it together Okra, he is just Paul Rodgers. JUST PAUL RODGERS, this man is a legend. Good lord, what will I say to him. So I though, just be yourself. When I opened the door he was standing right there waiting on me in this bright colored silk shirt. So, I said "Was that the loudest shirt you could find?" Which he replied, "No mate, I had to tone this one down a bit." He was quick, I liked that. It was a very special moment as I took that old battered 1959 Les Paul out of the case and handed it to Paul Rodgers. Yep, that's what I said. handed it to Paul Rodgers. And let me say, he was not shy to grab it, as if it was an old friend. He was really quiet at first, moved, almost in awe and just soaking it in. He strummed it for a bit, as we talked he started laughing and reminiscing on when he last had seen it. As we continued to visit, he said the following that echoed to me all night, “Kossoff could really play it mate, it feels good and sounds good. Mate, you have a good guitar.” Before Paul was rushed off to start signing fan paraphernalia, I handed him a photograph. The photo was of Paul with Koss's guitar, Andy, Simon and Koss sitting chilling out backstage. He asked if he could have a copy, which I replied, "I brought two, one for you to sign and one for you as a gift." After signing and everyone checking out the photograph, he wanted to remake the picture with the guitar sitting as he was in the photograph.

Pete Bullick, Pauls guitar player was so excited he could barely hold it together. Paul had wanted it to be a surprise for Pete, but his wife let the cat out of the bag earlier that day at the hotel. So when Pete found out he teared up then ran back to auditorium. When he saw the guitar he was out of breath (from running) and trembling with excitement. He couldn’t believe it, he was going to take the stage with Paul Rodgers while wielding Paul Kossoffs Les Paul. Paul had wanted it to be used for just the encore, but Pete said that wasn't going to happen, he was going to use it on the last seven songs. As they were mostly Free performances. And he did. When Pete came out with the Kossoff Burst (Before Paul had wanted it to come out) and started the intro to Mr Big, Paul immediately looked over, as if to say, KOSS. It sent chills up my spine."

Mini Forklift

Re: Kossoff's '59 LP reunited with Paul Rogers

Post by Mini Forklift »

I know tone is largely in the fingers, but this particular guitar sure does have a distinctive sound...

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

That's the typical honky, airy, almost "violin bow on strings" sound that old LP's have. If I get to the fest I'll bring my R9...sounds a lot like this. opsguy's R9 does too. Both have a hollow but present mid range...slightly scooped.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

GrantB wrote:That's the typical honky, airy, almost "violin bow on strings" sound that old LP's have. If I get to the fest I'll bring my R9...sounds a lot like this. opsguy's R9 does too. Both have a hollow but present mid range...slightly scooped.
What do you think that's down to, obviously something to do with the construction?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
GrantB wrote:That's the typical honky, airy, almost "violin bow on strings" sound that old LP's have. If I get to the fest I'll bring my R9...sounds a lot like this. opsguy's R9 does too. Both have a hollow but present mid range...slightly scooped.
What do you think that's down to, obviously something to do with the construction?
All things = that tone.

Wood for starters, quality mahogany (my R9 is quite light...will weigh it), steel tail piece long inserts (I use Pigtail), steel studs (Pigtail), light weight tail piece (Pigtail), correct ABR bridge (later Gibson ones are very good) and nickel plated brass saddles, PAF pickups (I use ThroBaks, opsguy has Stephens Design), vintage taper pots (although less about tone...more about use).

Wood and pickups are the main contributors, but to get that real honk it's the sum of all parts. To makeover my R9 it was another $1400...on an already pricey piece. It's silly. But I love the honk.

I'm sure there's another couple of R9's on the forum....speak up!

Different light , same guitar
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Thanks for the insight Grant, interesting stuff!

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I think the more recent versions have some of this stuff sorted? Mine's a 1999...so they had Classic 57s, modern wiring layout etc.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

GrantB wrote:modern wiring layout
BY DEMONS BE DRIVEN
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

GrantB wrote:
All things = that tone.

Wood for starters, quality mahogany (my R9 is quite light...will weigh it), steel tail piece long inserts (I use Pigtail), steel studs (Pigtail), light weight tail piece (Pigtail), correct ABR bridge (later Gibson ones are very good) and nickel plated brass saddles, PAF pickups (I use ThroBaks, opsguy has Stephens Design), vintage taper pots (although less about tone...more about use).
Did you have to drill the holes deeper for the longer inserts? I was looking at this upgrade, I'm ok with drilling the centre a bit deeper for the longer studs if required but the inserts is a bit too scary. I guess I should pop my tailpiece off and measure the depth.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Lyle wrote:
GrantB wrote:
All things = that tone.

Did you have to drill the holes deeper for the longer inserts? I was looking at this upgrade, I'm ok with drilling the centre a bit deeper for the longer studs if required but the inserts is a bit too scary. I guess I should pop my tailpiece off and measure the depth.
Not in my case - the holes are pretty deep. It's just the modern inserts are / were shorter. Make sure you look after the ground wire....don't let it snap off.

Someone like goldtop0 has a better understanding of the modern Historic LP's. Maybe he'll chime in?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

GrantB wrote:
Well, that's just perfection.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Molly wrote:
GrantB wrote:
What L'Paul axes do you currently have Molly?
Tin arse!!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Terexgeek wrote:
Molly wrote:
GrantB wrote:
What L'Paul axes do you currently have Molly?
Just a 1960 Classic but it's sold pending payment. Never played it much to be honest. Heavy body and skinny neck.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

GrantB wrote:
Not in my case - the holes are pretty deep. It's just the modern inserts are / were shorter. Make sure you look after the ground wire....don't let it snap off.

Someone like goldtop0 has a better understanding of the modern Historic LP's. Maybe he'll chime in?
Sweet. Did you replace the tailpiece studs and the ABR-1 posts? There's a post on the Les Paul forums with people that cut the heads of stainless screws to replace the ABR-1 posts.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

https://imgur.com/a/Algtvwd

Here’s a 2008 R9 historic I’m probably getting. Trying it out at present. Different sound to my R7. R7 is heavier in weight but still has a snap to it with more lower end. The R9 has more twang and bite.
Edit
I’ll probably pass on this and hang on to the R7. If anyone is interested in it let me know and I’ll put you in touch with owner.
Last edited by MrDINO on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.