Kossoff's '59 LP reunited with Paul Rogers

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Kossoff's '59 LP reunited with Paul Rogers

Post by GrantB »

Lyle, yes, both. But not with stainless steel. I find it too bright and soulless. Nickel platted brass is the way to go in my view. Drill the post holes down deeper past the maple and into the mahogany a little.

If you need the correct screws hit me up. I believe I have a few sets left.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

MrDINO wrote:https://imgur.com/a/Algtvwd

Here’s a 2008 R9 historic I’m probably getting. Trying it out at present. Different sound to my R7. R7 is heavier in weight but still has a snap to it with more lower end. The R9 has more twang and bite.
Yep, that's an R9 for ya.

Dean, are the corners of the inlays slightly rounded or sharp? And are the sides dots black or Tortoise shell?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

GrantB wrote:

Here’s a 2008 R9 historic I’m probably getting. Trying it out at present. Different sound to my R7. R7 is heavier in weight but still has a snap to it with more lower end. The R9 has more twang and bite.

Dean, are the corners of the inlays slightly rounded or sharp? And are the sides dots black or Tortoise shell?
Looks like sharp corners and dots? Good or bad?

Lespaul92
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Lespaul92 »

I’m pretty sure that R9 you’re looking at is my old guitar. It’s got a great sounding neck pickup but the neck was a bit chunky for me so sold it and got a 2014 version with a smaller neck.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

Lespaul92 wrote:I’m pretty sure that R9 you’re looking at is my old guitar. It’s got a great sounding neck pickup but the neck was a bit chunky for me so sold it and got a 2014 version with a smaller neck.
Small world...especially this one :)
Neck is chunky. Bigger than the R7 but I’ve got big hands. Bridge pup not to your liking? Maybe a BK mule might sort it

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

GrantB wrote:That's the typical honky, airy, almost "violin bow on strings" sound that old LP's have. If I get to the fest I'll bring my R9...sounds a lot like this. opsguy's R9 does too. Both have a hollow but present mid range...slightly scooped.
A most enlightening description of what makes great LP tone. :thumbup:

But I'm afraid it doesn't sound anything like a Telecaster.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

thank god the mid range isn't confused
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

MrDINO wrote:
GrantB wrote:

Looks like sharp corners and dots? Good or bad?
Well, no difference really...just that top is sooooo late 90's for Gibson R's.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Hate to play the devils advocate here but I think the whole R9 holy grail thing is nonsense. I've played a bunch of genuine 59's that sounded utterly ordinary, same for the reissues. The construction differences between 57's 8's and 9's and their reissues are sufficiently close that a definitively classic sounding example could be found among any of them ( while equally not being guaranteed ). I have also played and owned P90 LP's which possessed the same tonal characteristics in spades. It really is a matter of taking guitars on an individual basis. Koss's guitar though was without doubt one of the special ones.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

By way of a poste script to the above. Out of all the nice guitars I have been fortunate enough to twang around on the one which possessed the best definitive classic 59 burst tone wasn't even a Les Paul but a 58 korina V which I was able to play alongside a 59 and a 58 ( sold to M Knopfler ) over a couple of weeks.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

But the '59 and R9 have the pretty burst?!

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

Lyle wrote:But the '59 and R9 have the pretty burst?!
So do PRS :roll:
Hunter S. Thompson

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

I got an R9 because I know I'm likely getting a nice resonant slab of mahogany, and to get an as nice slab of mahogany from smaller brands (PRS, Suhr, Nik Huber etc) would set me back a whole lot more due to production scale and the amount of wood they buy each year.

I don't care a whole lot whether it sounds like a real 59 or not because I surely ain't playing a dimed Plexi or Hiwatt (which would contribute more to the overall sound).
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Dharmajester wrote:Hate to play the devils advocate here but I think the whole R9 holy grail thing is nonsense. I've played a bunch of genuine 59's that sounded utterly ordinary, same for the reissues. The construction differences between 57's 8's and 9's and their reissues are sufficiently close that a definitively classic sounding example could be found among any of them ( while equally not being guaranteed ). I have also played and owned P90 LP's which possessed the same tonal characteristics in spades. It really is a matter of taking guitars on an individual basis. Koss's guitar though was without doubt one of the special ones.
This, times a lot.

Although I would say my R9 delivers that sound I have in my head that represents the '59 tone. Your's did too...I think...I didn't own it long enough.

My '73 '54RI Custom also sounds like a real good '59 too...to confirm your notion Steve.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Lyle wrote:But the '59 and R9 have the pretty burst?!
lols...and as you're alluding to, some are goddam hideous.