Completely stuffed the paint job on my Telecaster, but maybe I should leave it that way?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Re: Completely stuffed the paint job on my Telecaster, but maybe I should leave it that way?

Post by Reg18 »

kdawg2a wrote:One thing I will say for it is, looking at your binding in the photos (which is a little hard to see) you may need a little smoothing and rounding with some sand paper and then some clear. Remember that bound teles were taped off on the binding for the burst or colour coats but then locked into the finish with the clear coats.
Yeah that was the original plan, I was going to do one with an amber tint then a few with just straight clear.
In fact I bought it all at the same time. My concern is how will that work with having already gone through the finish sanding and then putting clear lacquer on top. Will it look right?

And also don’t want to round off the binding yet incase I refin the whole thing. Thinking it will be harder to tape it if it’s rounded off.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Re: Completely stuffed the paint job on my Telecaster, but maybe I should leave it that way?

Post by kdawg2a »

You could sand the binding and then only spray the sides of the guitar in wash coats, say a 50/50 lacquer/ thinners mix. That would seal in the edges and 'melt' into the work you've already done leaving the relic looking bits 'as is'.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.