Show us your flame

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Re: Show us your flame

Post by olegmcnoleg »

GrantB wrote:Image
That’s a perfect brace of LPs.

Are you hoping that if you push them close enough together, they will mate and have little R9 babies? :sarc:

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Knowing my luck they'd have a Samick
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Just picked up my new guitar from the courier depot. 2003 Custom Shop Lacewood Strat. Rather nice flame.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Dang! That neck is hard to believe... Really gorgeous. Digging the pearloid with that figured timber. What's the body made of?

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

that's the flamiest fender i've seen!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Cdog wrote:Dang! That neck is hard to believe... Really gorgeous. Digging the pearloid with that figured timber. What's the body made of?
Cheers.

It's lacewood which I understand is a generally misapplied name given to any wood with lace figuring. Lots of sustain. Guessing a weight around 8.5lbs.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

You really don't see much flames like that these days....
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Xotic guitars seem to have access to a lot of nice maple but, yes, pretty rare for a Fender.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Molly wrote:
It's lacewood which I understand is a generally misapplied name given to any wood with lace figuring
correct although not misapplied, more misunderstood as most people think it is a type of wood not a "pattern"....in new zealand the most common tree to produce a lacewood pattern is the Rewarewa

At one of the properties I look after they have to medium sized Protea trees that judging by the bark pattern are very likely to be heavily patterned lacewood...but they won't let me chop them down :rofl: .. bastards :angel:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

The lacewood reference is for the body I think.

Great looking neck!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

GrantB wrote:The lacewood reference is for the body I think.

Great looking neck!
Yes. I understood that but was kind of distracted by the neck. Body's a beautiful piece of wood too.

Took it apart because you have to, eh? Neck has 'Clapton' written on it which I'm guessing is a reference to the soft V carve.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

willow13 wrote:
Molly wrote:
It's lacewood which I understand is a generally misapplied name given to any wood with lace figuring
correct although not misapplied, more misunderstood as most people think it is a type of wood not a "pattern"....in new zealand the most common tree to produce a lacewood pattern is the Rewarewa

At one of the properties I look after they have to medium sized Protea trees that judging by the bark pattern are very likely to be heavily patterned lacewood...but they won't let me chop them down :rofl: .. bastards :angel:
fascinating, how did you learn that stuff, be interested in a photo of the tree and bark just out of curiosity

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

kwhelan wrote:
willow13 wrote:
Molly wrote:

fascinating, how did you learn that stuff, be interested in a photo of the tree and bark just out of curiosity
Someone on a Strat forum told me a bit about lacewood though I confess I'll need to do some homework to understand it:

Lacewood has a janka hardness of 891. For comparison's sake: Basswood 410, Alder 590, soft maple 850, cherry 950, walnut 1010, S. American mahogany 1200, Swamp Ash 1320, Agathis 1350, hard maple (the neck) 1450. One could predict sonic qualities about halfway between basswood and agathis, or about halfway between alder and swamp ash.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

Molly wrote:
kwhelan wrote:
willow13 wrote:

Someone on a Strat forum told me a bit about lacewood though I confess I'll need to do some homework to understand it:

Lacewood has a janka hardness of 891. For comparison's sake: Basswood 410, Alder 590, soft maple 850, cherry 950, walnut 1010, S. American mahogany 1200, Swamp Ash 1320, Agathis 1350, hard maple (the neck) 1450. One could predict sonic qualities about halfway between basswood and agathis, or about halfway between alder and swamp ash.
so the denser, therefore the heavier wood is brighter? due to more resonance and vibration passing through.
be interested to see where some of those aussie hardwoods that they used in telephone poles like jarrah that the aus acoustic makers use fit

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Congrats Molly, lovely. What pickguard have you decided to go with?