Strat headstocks

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Strat headstocks

Post by Molly »

philly wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:I quite like the big headstock, but yeah, those CBS era guitars were generally speaking nothing to write home about.
Funny how CBS Strat's get slammed, and I'm sure much of that is deserved because the quality no doubt nosedived from 1965 onwards.

Still good enough for Hendrix mind... :thumbup:
best strat i ever played was a 66-67.... beautifully resonant... fantastic feel.
i was offered it for (i think) about 5K around 10-15 years ago... not 62 prices but quite a lot for what was essentially not a "collectors" jobby
had the transition logo and big headstock
candy apple red tho so that was the end of that
You could be describing my CS 66. It's certainly got something.

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
philly wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote: Funny how CBS Strat's get slammed, and I'm sure much of that is deserved because the quality no doubt nosedived from 1965 onwards.

Still good enough for Hendrix mind... :thumbup:
best strat i ever played was a 66-67.... beautifully resonant... fantastic feel.
i was offered it for (i think) about 5K around 10-15 years ago... not 62 prices but quite a lot for what was essentially not a "collectors" jobby
had the transition logo and big headstock
candy apple red tho so that was the end of that
That’s cool, and I’m sure there are some crackers out there, and the closer to the transition it is, the more likely it is to be good. The worst Strat I’ve ever played—including a bunch from Mexico, was a ‘69 It was just horrible.
i'm not sure it's as simple as dates... they were made in a factory/workshop where they were trying to cut costs all the time.. as they were in the 50's.. they'd ship alder or ash in.. whatever they would get cheapest.. join bits up for economy's sake....i think most people that worked there then would be horrified by the reverential/biblical status of some of these instruments. sometimes they would end up with a peach.. other times a lemon. they didnt give a shit...as an aside i actually remember when 60's guitars were cheaper secondhand than 70's new ones :-)
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by vintage52 »

I like the smaller headstocks.

Other strat variants where the headstocks are made to not look exact make me think of what a special needs Fender might look like.
Wellington