NGD: Larrivee L-03R. Bit of a review.

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

NGD: Larrivee L-03R. Bit of a review.

Post by NippleWrestler »

ex- Bender who's an absolute dude.

That's R for rosewood.

Made in Canada. 2013. Canadian spruce top. Indian rosewood back/sides. One piece mahogany neck. Ebony board & bridge.

Great condition for a 2013 model. It looks hardly played, and feels it too. Today I cleaned up the frets, tweaked the truss rod, sanded some crud from the nut slots and the saddle, oiled the fretboard (it loved it), gave the whole thing a wipe and a polish and now here we are.

The shape is Larrivee's own proprietary L shape, which is kinda like the butt of a dreadnought, with the waist and top half of an OM. Scale length is still the 25.5" but this sits a lot easier and a lot more comfortably than your usual dreadnought shape seemingly without sacrificing that much in terms of volume.

It's incredibly comfortable to sit and play. Much more modern than any Martin I've played. The frets are big, the neck is a pretty slim D but somewhat wide (1.75" at the nut), and the radius is compound from 16" - 21" at the dusty end. Overall you can move if you need it, it can be chunky if you need it and a very versatile profile. The big frets make it feel like a current electric than most acoustics I've played.

Check out the maple binding:

Clean looking headstock with the Tusq nut:

Good grade of spruce they've used here:

Simple minimalistic design. No abalone or gaudy stuff anywhere which (for me) is great. I can't get along with glossy blingy acoustics and think understated minimal stuff ages much better.

More nice timber for the back.

I watched an interview with Jean Larrivee (founder and still making the guitars) where he said he spends half the year sourcing timber, and half in the factory making instruments. Their timber is nothing short of impeccable. Grain is tight, the bookmatch is nigh on perfect, the colour is superb and this is some real quality shit. There's an air of elegant quality with Larrivees that's rapdi

The whole neck is one piece of mahogany, not 2 or 3 pieces laminated at the heel to get the thickness:

Jean maintains this is the best way for good ol' toan.

This is the butt where everything meets and that classy interplay between the maple and rosewood:

So. How does it sound?

'balanced' would be a good word but that doesn't really sell it. It's not booming bass like a D28, it's not delicate and jangly like my old Taylor. There's a big, round, smooth upper mid where the highs sort of taper off gently, sitting on top of a wide rolling calm bass. I personally believe that once its opened up after a couple of years I think it'll be even nicer.

I do wonder if its a little congested after some inactivity like it hasn't quite fully woken up yet but what is there is very pleasing indeed to my ears.

My wife says it's louder than both the Martin i just sold and the Yairi I'd had for years. I'll take her word for it.

It came with a very nice case too that was a nice touch and further reinforces the feeling of quality with this brand. They don't do shit stuff, they seem to just do simple, honest, quality products.

Some might find them too polite in looks but I like how it looks almost nondescript until you look closer and see the gorgeous chocolatey ripples of the rosewood, the immaculate satin finish, impeccable fretwork. You could take this to a jam and nobody would look twice except for those in the know and I really dig that.

Things to note:

Larrivee changed the recipe of these guitars somewhere around 2016/2017 where they switched to a bone nut/saddle, and started binding the neck in maple. I think these are all great choices and if I could have found a later one I would have bought it just for these little visual upgrades. I've no problem with ivoroid if that's what you get, but maple binding is boner material for me. Otherwise nothing has changed on these guitars in 40 years.

I've ordered some ebony tuner buttons because I think that will look great, some ebony bridge pins (although plastic is 100% a-ok), and a bone saddle which I think will do something positive and if not, it's reversible in about 5 seconds.

Suffice to say this is a very well made, great looking, good sounding guitar that punches above its weight. They're sensitive and warm when fingerpicked, and bold and full when you whip out the Tortex.

Good guitars from a company I'm coming to greatly admire.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: NGD: Larrivee L-03R. Bit of a review.

Post by Single coil »

Yummo
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Looks fantastic.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Happy NGD! That's a total win. It's an ideal guitar for the way you play, (which incidentally folks is, "Fuck! I'm just going to sit on my hands and listen")
I predict much happiness. :thumbup:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Nice write up. That looks to be a stunner. I really should play my Larrivee D-03 more often, great guitars.
Loving it so far

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Congrats on the NGD! That's a stunning guitar, fantastic review, and beautiful photos!

I have a D-03WL, with Peruvian Walnut back and sides. Love it! I know some people (looking sideways at Mr Oleg) reckon Larrivees tend to be a little scooped. I tend to agree with mine, can't speak about others, but I like it. It seems to sit nicely with my attempts at singing, so my throat doesn't have to compete with my poor strumming.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Congrats!
Man that looks nice! I didnt even realise ben had that. Bloody gorgeous

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

How did I miss the For Sale Thread for this???

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

There wasn't a thread for it. It was a private thing.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

It worked out well! You happened to be looking for one just as I was thinking about shifting mine. Perfect timing.

I went straight to you know where and picked up you know what.

Glad you like it- it really is a stunner

Adam Ag 98
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Adam Ag 98 »

I'm a few years late to this topic but from time to time I search for reviews of the guitars I own.

The OP's review is wonderful.

I bought my L-03RE (03 model, rosewood, electronics) in 2012. It was a used find at my local Guitar Center. It had been traded in earlier that day and if they'd listed it as brand new you would never be able to tell from looking at it. Not so much as a pick scratch on the pick guard, zero signs of play on the fretboard, etc.

WIth case included I paid $700 or $800 plus tax. I ran from the store like I stole it. I practically did. The lowest cost seller online for new L's at the time was around $1400 for the same model.

As I've owned it over the years it is really opened up. I borrowed a phrase from my wife and say it's a little black dress - goes well with anything I throw at it. I'll sometimes go weeks without touching a pick, then weeks without playing a note without a pick at least in my hand.

I found a great deal on a long-sought Yairi DY62C 1.5 years ago and the L hasn't seen much action. I did a blind test for my wife soon after getting the Yairi and she agreed that the Larrivee sounds significantly better than the Yairi. Much fuller, louder, and rich tone. The Yairi however is fantastic for playing Monte Montgomery stuff (it is the model he uses) and I've fallen down the rabbit hole for months slowly learning some of his songs.

I loaned the Yairi to a buddy recently as a tool to get him playing again while he mourns the loss of his wife. He was a great player at one time and hadn't played in a couple of years as life got in the way. He was also a huge Monte fan. It also served as a reason to not see old friends only at funerals because I'll have to see him to bring it back home.

Sad as that is I've played the ever loving hell out of the Larrivee for the past couple of months.

The little black dress still looks stunning. Love this damned guitar. Whenever I get permission to buy another acoustic a custom Larrivee may very well be my next purchase.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Great first post, welcome
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Wow. What a lovely guitar. I love that shape, and I've heard a few of these played, and they sound fantastic.

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

Stunning.

Larrivee and Yairi are my faves.
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe