What are your clever backup solutions? + What gear to take to a gig?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

What are your clever backup solutions? + What gear to take to a gig?

Post by Zaulkin »

I am reasonably pedantic about making sure I have some kind of backup for gigs. So far I have never had a problem (apart from one time at one of my first gigs where I broke three strings in a freak single strum a few hours before playing...) but now I maintain my gear well so I've been lucky.

The main requirements for a backup for me are that it will work without sounding shit, wont be heavy or take up much space, and that I won't mind lending it if necessary. Also I try to keep the cost down on backups so that I'm not reaching to sell it for something else.

For cables, strings, etc, I just take an extra one for anything that I think may require it.

For guitars it is pretty simple - Just take two. I have a cheap entry level one that is cool and has it's place so I won't sell it in 2 weeks.

For amps, I recently picked up a cheap little pedal called a Donner Black Devil. It's got two channels including reverb, and it has cab sims that can be turned on and off. Sounds pretty sweet too, even if the reverb goes from 0 - 75% pretty quick. I could run this through a poweramp or through the PA if needed, which is handy. The only problem is that it does make a hum when it is on 0% volume (and obviously I'm sacrificing effects because there is no chorus/delay etc).

I'll do a Youtube review on it sometime soon...

What are your clever backup solutions if something stops working at a gig?
Last edited by Zaulkin on Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Re: What are your clever backup solutions?

Post by Kiwiaxe »

This is a very good topic! From what I’ve seen from gigging and watching others gig, I think 95+% of musicians would respond with “huh what do you mean”.

1. Guitars - I always bring two
2. Cables - I always bring two more than I need. One for me; one for any other idiot who didn’t bring one themselves
3. Strings, batteries, tools (I’ve seen people have spare strings in their guitar case but no cutters!) I have a small laptop sleeve with everything I need in that
4. Spare clip on tuner. Not for me, but for the idiot who invariable doesn’t bring their own
5. Mic - I don’t bring a spare, but audience won’t miss my backing vocals if my mic dies. Mic cables - as I’m usually the one who brought the PA I’ll have some spares
6. Amp - I have some cheap grab and go pedal. Can’t recall what it is now as its sat in my go bag and never used. Knock off of a tech 21 that I can run straight into the PA and it sounds acceptable

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

I’m not gigging, but I have a tech21 fly rig and tuner on a nano board which would cover a few bases if I had to.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Nothing too clever, when I gigged I'd have two guitars, and the other guitarist also had two so lots of backup. I had a spare set of strings so I could re-string if I got the chance. I was running a two amp setup (one clean one distorted), so if one amp died I'd be able to get by on just using one.

Now that I'm using the Helix I'd probably invest in some sort of pedal that can go straight to the PA as a backup option.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Kiwiaxe wrote:This is a very good topic! From what I’ve seen from gigging and watching others gig, I think 95+% of musicians would respond with “huh what do you mean”.
Similar to my experience then! I am also considering using a Quilter 101 head as a poweramp because they are small and sound really good, and if some muppet hasn't brought their gear they could borrow that. I'm reluctant to let people borrow my good gear if it is complex or can easily be misused.

Off the top of my head I can list a few other things that might be handy in the backup case:

Flashlight (got a $6 one from bunnings that is small and good).
A Multitool
A bag of picks
Setlists
Pens and a vivid marker
Allen keys
Black tape
Spare ear plugs
Jug cords (iec power cables)
Multi power box and extension leads if necessary.
Fold up guitar stand if you don't already take a big one
Strings (but it's much better to swap guitars than have to string one up).
Spare leads and mic cables, maybe even a cheap patch cable if you use a pedalboard.
You might need a spare AUX cable/adaptors and things like that.
Zip ties
Cleaning cloth

A fold up hand truck and some bungy cords can be useful too.

Since I forgot my mic cable at practice once, I made up an inventory list that I can run over each time to make sure I've got everything. I also load up and unload in the same order so I generally don't forget anything.
Last edited by Zaulkin on Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Pull out
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

Good thread!
I really like Kiwiaxe’s clip on tuner idea lol! What a great idea
After reading this thread I might actually keep my Quilter 101 hmmm

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Good thread! I take 2x guitars, even if I only need 1. Spare strings and a capo in each case.

I have a tech21 British as an amp backup, and if my pedal goes down, I can use it as a distortion/solo boost. No FX,but I can get through a gig without. And spare cables of course.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

My biggest risk is the M9. Has a seizure every second gig and even the through sound won’t work. Have a spare hoist pedal and that’s all I need if all goes bad.

Spare amp is a little Vox. Sounds good micd up. Loss of guitars every gig ;)
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

GrantB wrote:My biggest risk is the M9. Has a seizure every second gig and even the through sound won’t work. Have a spare hoist pedal and that’s all I need if all goes bad.

I'm planning on wiring up an A/B so I can easily flick to the backup rig if the main one goes down.

So far I've never had to use a backup (touch wood), but it's kind of fun coming up with ways to deal with the issue if you needed to.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

We usually have a spare guitar between us. I also bring a full set of spare cables, strings and tools, patch cables, plus a Quilter Mini 101 head in case one of our amps dies. I'm seriously contemplating just using that though actually. It sounds great. I'm also about to build a second Surfy Bear reverb tank to have as a spare.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Always had two guitars, mainly cause different tunings, extra cables, batteries etc... Never had a failure, gear these days is so reliable!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Used to bring 2 guitars, but have never broken a string at a gig. Have done a few recently without bringing a spare, though still bring one for the fancy gigs.

Gig bag has strings, tools and plenty of spare cables, power leads etc.

Spare amp is too much hassle., other guitarist used to bring a spare amp, but he’s stopped now. Should probably invest in one of those DI pedals, but not really gigging at the level where it’s necessary.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

GrantB wrote:My biggest risk is the M9. Has a seizure every second gig and even the through sound won’t work. Have a spare hoist pedal and that’s all I need if all goes bad.

This is what happens when you post waiting for your pre-gig MacDonalds to arrive. You get a hoist and some loss.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

One guitar one amp. It's only a matter of time.. and then I will think back to this thread.