Kartakou Cobblestone Power Amp - YouTube video review

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 739 times
Been liked: 511 times

Kartakou Cobblestone Power Amp - YouTube video review

Post by Zaulkin »

Hi guys,

I decided that I would give YouTube a go so here's my first video demo of a tiny little power amp pedal I found.

Constructive criticism / advice welcome, I'm still learning how to be infront of a camera. I know I could have made it better and there was a glitch I couldn't get rid of, but it was my last few hours of my premiere pro trial (haha). Need to figure out how to turn on face detection so I'm not blurry.

I've got a few other pedals lined up but it will primarily be stuff I buy/sell or borrow. I may need to call on a few people to borrow some cool gear. Hopefully I can keep to interesting stuff and topics. Maybe lessons and so on later?

I guess they say if you're perfectly happy with your first one then you took too long, so here it is!

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Re: Kartakou Cobblestone Power Amp - YouTube video review

Post by Danger Mouse »

Cool! Actually a very good effort for a first attempt.

Constructive criticism (which is only my opinion):

Too much close-up on your face, more of a wider body shot would allow you to be more physically expressive, which will keep the viewer interested.
More dynamics in your voice would help too, but that is hard to do at first (having done some piece to camera stuff a long time ago it does take time to get used to it).
Also the band bit went on too long and didn't really convey what you wanted because the audio made the guitar sound quiet and like it was struggling, I assume it was just a room mic though.
Beard is far too well groomed ( :wink: )

Other than that, good review and an excellent starting point!
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Danger Mouse wrote:Cool! Actually a very good effort for a first attempt.

Constructive criticism (which is only my opinion):

Too much close-up on your face, more of a wider body shot would allow you to be more physically expressive, which will keep the viewer interested.
More dynamics in your voice would help too, but that is hard to do at first (having done some piece to camera stuff a long time ago it does take time to get used to it).
Also the band bit went on too long and didn't really convey what you wanted because the audio made the guitar sound quiet and like it was struggling, I assume it was just a room mic though.
Beard is far too well groomed ( :wink: )

Other than that, good review and an excellent starting point!
Thank you! All of those things are great feedback and pretty much what I was thinking. Definitely agree on the hands in the shot, will do that in the future.

The guitar vs drums sounds alright on my laptop but it was just a camera mic. Noted.

Also learning how to beard.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

Nothing to add. Wot DM said.

Actually, something to add; study Brian Wampler. Don't try to be Brian Wampler but look at his mix of dead straight and zany and how he does it.
All the best presenters are slightly larger than life.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

where was chappers? or the captain?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Good first effort. I found the track playing while you were talking a little distracting. But other than that and the camera shot, nothing else to pick on. Have you tried propping the mic up with a Teddy bear?
Loving it so far

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

StratMatt wrote:Good first effort. I found the track playing while you were talking a little distracting. But other than that and the camera shot, nothing else to pick on. Have you tried propping the mic up with a Teddy bear?
Cheers, I'll keep that in mind. I am one of those weird people who likes either complete silence or busy hard rock in the background while I do stuff.

What mic are you referring to? I used a cheap lapel mic for my voice.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Zaulkin wrote:
StratMatt wrote:Good first effort. I found the track playing while you were talking a little distracting. But other than that and the camera shot, nothing else to pick on. Have you tried propping the mic up with a Teddy bear?
Cheers, I'll keep that in mind. I am one of those weird people who likes either complete silence or busy hard rock in the background while I do stuff.

What mic are you referring to? I used a cheap lapel mic for my voice.
Just a lame attempt at humour. I think it's Greg's Guitars videos that always seem to have a teddy bear for a mic stand.

Pretty good beard coverage too BTW.
Loving it so far

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

It looks like you're reading from a card or something, a bit stilted? You probably aren't. If you are it might be an idea to add a few topics on a card to riff on, just the bits you want to get across. Don't have to look at the camera all the time.

Hey what do I know, I'm just an oscar winning actor and stuff.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Bg wrote:It looks like you're reading from a card or something, a bit stilted? You probably aren't. If you are it might be an idea to add a few topics on a card to riff on, just the bits you want to get across. Don't have to look at the camera all the time.

Hey what do I know, I'm just an oscar winning actor and stuff.
I wasn't, but I took lots of takes because I wanted to eliminate the 'umming' and 'ahing' that I do normally. I've learnt that it's good to use cut shots and keep the segments relatively short. Will get better and faster with the improvisation as I go. It's actually quite a lot of work!

It will look more natural with a wider shot too.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

All good mate, wondering whether you should keep the umms and ahhhs in, or at least some.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Bg wrote:All good mate, wondering whether you should keep the umms and ahhhs in, or at least some.
I think you're right actually. I should aim to reduce them but still keep a few so that it doesn't seem sterile.

All good feedback for the next one :)

Just need to get premiere pro now hah.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I'm sure the first ones by Captain and Tennille were a bit stilted too... might be worth checking out. I'm sure its practice, like anything else, to be natural.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Get some lights to shine on your face, even if it's a couple of desk lamps, will reduce the shadowing and make you look more pro :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 597 times

Post by Starfire »

Obnoxious guitar intros pretty much guarantee I won't continue watching, but at least it's consistent with the way the pedal is used throughout the clip. Good to make the intro actually relate to the content, I think, rather than apply a stock riff/motif across all videos like some channels do. The PGS approach where the product is demoed in anger for a minute or two before the talky explanation bit is good. I always find it an uncomfortable mental gear change when the intro is some kind of heavy riffage but the demo itself is all shimmery reverb plinky-plonky bollocks. Or vice versa.

And yeah, even though the delivery was a bit cardboardy I thought your more leisurely pace was actually a positive. Can't stand demo-ers who deliver a load (IBJB) of info in a single unpunctuated stream.

Good job!