CITES for export

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1295 times

CITES for export

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Sorry if this has been covered.
To ship a rosewood board guitar over seas (NZ->USA) nowadays, what documents need to be procured ? Does anyone know the approx cost?
Thanks

PaulWD
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 201 times

Re: CITES for export

Post by PaulWD »

I used to get cites certs for export for work. These were issued by the local chch DOC office. Be best to give them a call, they are very helpful. Cost 10 years ago was $45. Good luck

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I emailed NZ Customs about bringing back a couple of rosewood fretboard guitars unaccompanied. I asked if I need complete any CITES-related paperwork and got this reply:

"I suggest that you pack the guitars along with your other personal effects, because the guitars were professionally manufactured and shouldn’t pose any CITES issues."

Seems too straightforward to be true.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Molly wrote:......" because the guitars were professionally manufactured and shouldn’t pose any CITES issues."
this is nonsensical. As far as I know CITES does apply to manufacturers, in fact it is aimed at them!

Unless the respondent assumed that the manufacturer would do the CITES paperwork for you.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Molly wrote:I emailed NZ Customs about bringing back a couple of rosewood fretboard guitars unaccompanied. I asked if I need complete any CITES-related paperwork and got this reply:

"I suggest that you pack the guitars along with your other personal effects, because the guitars were professionally manufactured and shouldn’t pose any CITES issues."

Seems too straightforward to be true.
I'd say they've confused CITES with bio-security requirements.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Surely the reverse situation could provide insight; has anyone received a guitar with rosewood via overseas shipping and noticed that the paperwork included CITES documentation? In my experience (not related to guitars), the receiving end is where it’s needed, if required. There seems to be a lot of confusion over this issue but I bet there are exemptions in place for commercially manufactured musical instruments.

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender

Post by RectifiedAmps »

I should add, I have a rosewood-containing guitar on the way from the USA at the moment so I’ll scrutinise the paperwork when it arrives.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

RectifiedAmps wrote:Surely the reverse situation could provide insight; has anyone received a guitar with rosewood via overseas shipping and noticed that the paperwork included CITES documentation? In my experience (not related to guitars), the receiving end is where it’s needed, if required. There seems to be a lot of confusion over this issue but I bet there are exemptions in place for commercially manufactured musical instruments.
Yes, my last PRS had to get CITES documentation - I was charged US$100 for it - and the CITES certificate was in a separate clear plastic pocket on the outside of the shipping box. Came through NZ Customs quickly without any questions (but a large GST bill).
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Conway wrote:Yes, my last PRS had to get CITES documentation - I was charged US$100 for it - and the CITES certificate was in a separate clear plastic pocket on the outside of the shipping box. Came through NZ Customs quickly without any questions (but a large GST bill).
So looking into this some more, it seems Rosewood and Bubinga are listed under Appendix II of CITES as of early 2017. However, CITES' own pages indicate you do not need an *import* permit for Appx II items, only an export permit:
https://www.cites.org/eng/disc/how.php
This may explain why DOC is not concerned about it - because no permit is officially required to come into NZ.

I suppose the end result is the same– you need a permit– but it's a permit to leave the country of origin, not to arrive here. Semantics at its best/worst :roll:

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Additionally, here's the regulation that states you MAY NOT need any permits (export nor import) if the item is travelling with you as luggage: https://www.cites.org/eng/res/13/13-07R16.php– It depends on the origin and destination countries and whether they both recognise the same exemptions.

And here's DOC page with CITES Import/Export application forms: https://www.doc.govt.nz/about-us/intern ... s/permits/