Joe B gets another one-owner 59 burst

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Re: Joe B gets another one-owner 59 burst

Post by Danger Mouse »

WellyBlues wrote:Had to laugh, colleague who knows I love my blues was excited to tell me she was off to see Joe B. I think she thought I would be jealous and was somewhat deflated when I kinda went "meh". I did try to do it in a nice way.
He is pretty much the Coldplay of the blues world.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Danger Mouse wrote:
WellyBlues wrote:Had to laugh, colleague who knows I love my blues was excited to tell me she was off to see Joe B. I think she thought I would be jealous and was somewhat deflated when I kinda went "meh". I did try to do it in a nice way.
He is pretty much the Coldplay of the blues world.
I'll take your word for it, I wouldn't know a Coldplay song if I heard it!
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Good for Joe, he knows what he loves and has the means to acquire it. He’s not my bag (I’ve seen him live as my father is a fan so I took him), but he’s a very accomplished player and has a good fan base that keep him in vintage guitars and expensive hotel rooms.

I think envy plays a part in ‘Joe Hate’. I guarantee most of his detractors would give him props if he was some poor YouTube channel player with no career, all trumpeting how he deserves to be famous as he’s much better than *insert other successful blues player that didn’t room with Muddy Waters*. More power to him.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Interestingly there are plenty of people I know who don't rate his playing much, but I don't know anyone who hates him.

I've mentioned it before but he was a DJ on Planet Rock (UK DAB Station) and he got to play and talk about the music that has inspired him. It was a wonderful journey through music I'd have never otherwise have heard, with an incredibly enthusiastic and passionate tour guide.

Unfortunately his music and playing does nothing for me, largely paint by numbers blues rock, with a heavy dose of Andy Timmons licks.

It is perfectly OK to just not like his music.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

Black Country Communion

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

All power to him - doing what he loves. And he’s an excellent curator of these instruments.

If I could, I’d be doing exactly what he is...minus that music!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Mattallica wrote:Black Country Communion
Their most recent album is great, I really dig it

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I'd be very happy to be able to play as well as JB.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

I hope someone finds a lot of the missing 59s. There must be some beauties still undocumented.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

werdna wrote:I hope someone finds a lot of the missing 59s. There must be some beauties still undocumented.
I don't doubt that at all, there has to be. There must be people out there sitting on small fortunes and they will be completely unaware of this

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I'd be very happy to be able to play as well as JB.
I'm a big fan of Jeremy as well :thumbup:
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

There is something suburban about Joe, which counts against him, although it shouldn't. Maybe I expect the guitar gods to come from somewhere else, a dirtier, less ordered place, where their talents have been forged in suffering and fire. Although Joe is quite good.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

robthemac wrote: I don't know how Joe affords it.
I heard a super interesting anecdote a few years back from someone close to the situation. If it's true, it definitely deserves publication.

Apparently, a number of years back when Joe's popularity was on the increase (getting good coverage in the guitar mags etc) he was already killing it touring in the USA, decided it was time to do a Europe tour, and he thought it would be cool to do the Royal Albert Hall (childhood dream etc).

He got in touch with a bunch of promoters and asked them to book him in there.....and was ostensibly laughed out of each office as he wasn't deemed to be popular enough to pull a crowd of that size in that venue.
So he says "fuck it" and books the Royal Albert Hall himself. At his own risk. No promoter involved.

As we all know from the DVD, that was a sellout concert, made himself a nice earn, boosted his popularity hugely outside the USA and he didn't need to pay a promoter for the pleasure.
From that point onwards, he apparently stopped using concert promoters and did everything direct with the venue....using his own staff and at his own risk.

I admire this for a whole bunch of reasons (and I reckon many others could take note of this strategy).
Importantly for this conversation.....not having a promoter clicking the ticket in between ticket sales and your gig fee would make a SIGNIFICANT positive difference in your earnings...if you're able to pull a crowd.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

handsoffmatt wrote:
robthemac wrote: I don't know how Joe affords it.

So he says "fuck it" and books the Royal Albert Hall himself. At his own risk. No promoter involved.
He also bought back the rights to his catalogue so he's not paying anybody else there too. Savvy dude.

Just saw this and noticed the opening section was filmed on the Blues Cruise thing.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I'd be very happy to be able to play as well as JB.
I'm honoured! :mental:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.