Guitar Cabinet plans?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Guitar Cabinet plans?

Post by Zaulkin »

Hey guys,

Thinking of maybe making my own guitar cabinet for home. Does anyone have any plans (measurements) or advice?

If I just copy the thickness, dimensions, and use a standard design (back mount baffle) for a closed back cab, how wrong can I go?

I know the joints etc are important to get right and have them glued up. I've watched videos on how to tolex a cab properly too.

:)

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Re: Guitar Cabinet plans?

Post by NippleWrestler »

Find one you like and get the dimensions from the manufacturer or from a retailer. It's pretty much public info.

I made a 2x12 with dimensions between a mesa recto and Marshall 1936 from solid macrocarpa, then made an internal frame of 1x1 pine strips. Use bathroom caulk or silicone sealant on internal joins to make the internals airtight. And paint the inside black because it looks better.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Zaulkin wrote:Hey guys,

Thinking of maybe making my own guitar cabinet for home. Does anyone have any plans (measurements) or advice?

If I just copy the thickness, dimensions, and use a standard design (back mount baffle) for a closed back cab, how wrong can I go?

I know the joints etc are important to get right and have them glued up. I've watched videos on how to tolex a cab properly too.

:)
I did a scratchbuilt mesa 2x12 horizontal cab not so long back, didn't keep the dimensions though. Give me a shout if you need the baffle cut (speaker cutouts)... and if you need it tolexing.

or you just want it building ;)

The hardest part I've found is getting everything square - in all dimensions. Thats where proper jointing methods come in handy as its pretty hard to get it out of square that way.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Cheers. Unless there is some special element to the design like adding a port - surely there can't be much difference between a branded cab and a well built homebrew ply cab?

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

I'm planning to knock two of these up soon https://celestion.com/speakerworld/irs/ ... et_Design/

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

I built an "A" type angled 2x12 Greenback loaded. Made it slightly shorter than a Lead 1960 and the same width as the head I built it for. Full size Marshall heads look a bit gawky on it tho. Hanging over the sides. Sould glourious. Closed back. Very punchy and in a non directional way. Can supply dimension if imteterested.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

Zaulkin wrote:Cheers. Unless there is some special element to the design like adding a port - surely there can't be much difference between a branded cab and a well built homebrew ply cab?
Yep there's not much to it. It's just a box. Ensure it's as stiff as you can get it with some internal bracing and ensure there's no air leaks, hence using caulk.

I glued and screwed mine with butt joints all around and then an internal frame on the insides. It was rock solid. 3 guys could stand on it no problem.

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

The front baffle in the 2x12 A has beam blocker design in front of each speaker. Spose it adds to the final discharge.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Basket Case wrote:I'm planning to knock two of these up soon https://celestion.com/speakerworld/irs/ ... et_Design/
Interesting, thanks for this!

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

there's a guy selling on facebook, a Jet City 2x12 cabinet with vintage 30's for $400. you could sell the speakers for $150-$200 each, and have a cheap cabinet. It's going to cost you a lot more than that in time and money to build one.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

But then where's the fun?