The Acoustic Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7838 times
Been liked: 4228 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by jeremyb »

These lads can play!

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

Just got this back from Ramsay after a setup. An Epiphone DR500MCE. Solid sitka spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides. Bought second hand in mint condition at a great price.

Built in Dec 2021 at the Samick factory in Indonesia.

Plays and sounds amazing. Very happy with it joining my family of affordable guitars.
Attachments
20230906_130356.jpg
20230906_130356.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 7781 times

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 867 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

jhyang549 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:08 pm Just got this back from Ramsay after a setup. An Epiphone DR500MCE. Solid sitka spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides. Bought second hand in mint condition at a great price.

Built in Dec 2021 at the Samick factory in Indonesia.

Plays and sounds amazing. Very happy with it joining my family of affordable guitars.
Those masterbuilt Epiphones are nice guitars. All solid wood and good build quality. Nice.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3510 times
Been liked: 1096 times

Post by codedog »

Wow... I did not know "Murphy Lab" extended to acoustics too!

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

codedog wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:36 pm Wow... I did not know "Murphy Lab" extended to acoustics too!

Yeah not a fan. Probably not quite as a stupid marketing idea as the Martin printed tops but still not for me. If I wanted a beaten up old Guitar then I would buy one...

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 662 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I tried a Furch guitar the other day. Crikey. Not quite my thing tonally but the sustain, tone, feel and intonation was all absolutely spot on. Really, really cool guitars, well checking out if you are in the market.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:04 pm I tried a Furch guitar the other day. Crikey. Not quite my thing tonally but the sustain, tone, feel and intonation was all absolutely spot on. Really, really cool guitars, well checking out if you are in the market.
Yes, they are quite a revelation. Big, bold sound, but still warm.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1026 times
Been liked: 2513 times

Post by Slowy »

I'm Gassing for a Nylon crossover acoustic electric; pretty limited field, especially in NZ.

Obviously there's the Lowden Jazz but thought I'd check out Goodall. I've only met a couple of Goodalls but one of them is in my thoughts almost every day.
And yes, they do one!
https://reverb.com/item/66966315-goodal ... r-cocobolo

Sigh. :(
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:27 am These lads can play!

Damn straight...all cash!

I'm a big Doc Watson fan so I've followed this chap with great interest for a few years now. Here's a wee number about a wee number he penned when he wore a younger man's clothes...and an older man's haircut:

...and to this day, no one knows if the dude in the background ever did skin that zoob he pulls out from behind his ear :eh:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

clubhouse wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:05 pm
I'm a big Doc Watson fan...
Right there with you brother! :thumbup:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender

Post by vinylguy »

Slowy wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:35 pm I'm Gassing for a Nylon crossover acoustic electric; pretty limited field, especially in NZ.

Obviously there's the Lowden Jazz but thought I'd check out Goodall. I've only met a couple of Goodalls but one of them is in my thoughts almost every day.
And yes, they do one!

FWIW Davy Stuart was showing me a cutaway acoustic electric thing he had made the other day, cedar top with Kauri back and sides.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

vinylguy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:40 pm
Slowy wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:35 pm I'm Gassing for a Nylon crossover acoustic electric; pretty limited field, especially in NZ.

And yes, they do one!

FWIW Davy Stuart was showing me a cutaway acoustic electric thing he had made the other day, cedar top with Kauri back and sides.
Nylon string?

vinylguy
Fender
Fender

Post by vinylguy »

Steel string but with a classical string spacing.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

vinylguy wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:59 pm Steel string but with a classical string spacing.
Ah. Exactly the opposite of what I'm looking for. :(

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:56 pm
vinylguy wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:59 pm Steel string but with a classical string spacing.
Ah. Exactly the opposite of what I'm looking for. :(
If I may…
Whereas you don’t ideally want a guitar braced for steel strings (too rigid) I think you do need a slightly wider spacing. Not the full 2” of a classical necessarily, but more than a fingerstyle acoustic gives you.

Reason? Those nylon strings are wide, and they also vibrate in a wider pattern. You need a bit more width to stop you catching strings you are trying to avoid. Get 1” & 7/8 if you can.