Effect of changing room temperature on guitars - at home?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 41 times

Re: Effect of changing room temperature on guitars - at home?

Post by NZTone.e »

Slowy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:08 pm
Bitbull wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:56 pm Related question I had wondering my mind this morning. Guitars that are not often used...should they be stored in a case or better to have them airing hanging on a rack?
Case.
But that doesn't mean forget them for a year or five.

Yip, agree case!

I had one in it’s case in a wardrobe for 2 years, got it out and it was still in tune, except for the skinny E!

I actually keep mine in cases all the time, but only because there’s nowhere safe to leave them and I don’t want them knocked over etc…

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

Bitbull wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:56 pm Related question I had wondering my mind this morning. Guitars that are not often used...should they be stored in a case or better to have them airing hanging on a rack?
I'd rather play my guitars more at the expense of them aging faster. If they're in cases, it's another barrier to playing them.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:47 pm
I'd rather play my guitars more at the expense of them aging faster. If they're in cases, it's another barrier to playing them.
I've found guitars in cases under my bed that I forgot I owned :rofl: so yeah on display and ready to play!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Sleep
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Sleep »

Its incredible how much wood 'breathes' from day to day or year to year. When you bring into account wood under tension via wire, it seems the best way to store is in a place with as little fluctuation as possible. I keep my best instruments in their case with a gel pack and keep two fun beaters out on stands for fun. These however are in a shady corner, under dust/shade cloth. Same with my amp.. I hate dust and fading.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Sleep wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:36 pm Its incredible how much wood 'breathes' from day to day or year to year. When you bring into account wood under tension via wire, it seems the best way to store is in a place with as little fluctuation as possible. I keep my best instruments in their case with a gel pack and keep two fun beaters out on stands for fun. These however are in a shady corner, under dust/shade cloth. Same with my amp.. I hate dust and fading.
Don't ever lend me a guitar.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Sleep
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Sleep »

:lol: free relicing service? 😀
robthemac wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:39 pm
Sleep wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:36 pm Its incredible how much wood 'breathes' from day to day or year to year. When you bring into account wood under tension via wire, it seems the best way to store is in a place with as little fluctuation as possible. I keep my best instruments in their case with a gel pack and keep two fun beaters out on stands for fun. These however are in a shady corner, under dust/shade cloth. Same with my amp.. I hate dust and fading.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Sleep wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:55 pm :lol: free relicing service? 😀
robthemac wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:39 pm
More of a free sweating service.

Bitbull
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by Bitbull »

Yeah, I like them in the open, and both of my main guitars have toured through several countries, airports, customs, and shitty hotels multiple times and got beaten while "active", so there is no point starting caring now; I see them as tools, and they will outlive me.
BitBull

I'm John Lee Hooker in the sense that he was a blues man and he played blues his whole life. I'm a rock guy and I'm going to play rock music my whole life.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

I should have put this at the beginning of the thread but...

YOU KEEP YOUR GUITARS IN A CHANGING ROOM?

Sleep
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Sleep »

:clap: :lol:
olegmcnoleg wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:58 am I should have put this at the beginning of the thread but...

YOU KEEP YOUR GUITARS IN A CHANGING ROOM?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

It always makes me laugh when you see on reddit or tgp people waiting 24-48 hours when a new instrument arrives via courier before opening it, what a load of malarkey, trees in the forest don't care and neither should you.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:16 pm It always makes me laugh when you see on reddit or tgp people waiting 24-48 hours when a new instrument arrives via courier before opening it, what a load of malarkey, trees in the forest don't care and neither should you.
Trees in a forest dont get to minus 20 degree C, aircraft holds do....

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

vinylguy wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:22 pm
jeremyb wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:16 pm It always makes me laugh when you see on reddit or tgp people waiting 24-48 hours when a new instrument arrives via courier before opening it, what a load of malarkey, trees in the forest don't care and neither should you.
Trees in a forest dont get to minus 20 degree C, aircraft holds do....
Thats correct, but which part do you think does more damage, a few hours at -20 in a plan hold, then multiple hours in a warehouse at room temp, then in a hot courier van for multiple hours, or opening it when it arrives at your house :rofl:

diomaniac
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by diomaniac »

Few years ago I installed HRV system in the house. Since then I don't setup my guitar as often as I used to... certainly helps with humidity and temp control. I think Cost me around $3500 at the time but worth it in the long run. I always keep my guitar in the case after playing.

I personally wouldn't store guitars in a garage cause out of all the rooms in the house they seem to experience massive fluctuation in temperatures.