Taking a guitar to and from Australia: Any CITES issues ?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Taking a guitar to and from Australia: Any CITES issues ?

Post by vinylguy »

Hi Guys, We are in the process of moving to oz, for how long im not too sure but I want to take my new Davy Stuart 00 with me which is Engleman and Brazillian. I will be taking it as personal luggage. are there any cites issues I am likely to fall foul of, and if so how do I mitigate these ?

Thanks for any assistance.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Re: Taking a guitar to and from Australia: Any CITES issues ?

Post by GrantB »

Between nz and Aus I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. It was/is a euro thing and they’ve wound it right back on instruments. At least, that’s what the northern hemisphere forums are saying.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

I'd be nervous about the Brazilian. Probs ok though, I've never had any questions about what kind of woods my guitar is made from. And I usually take a guitar with me when I travel overseas.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Can you take it on as hand luggage? That’s what I have done with higher end guitars, incl Braz board.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

opsguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by opsguy »

I have just moved 20 or so guitars and basses from Melbourne to Auckland. Most through a shipping company and a couple as luggage on Air New Zealand. Lots of rosewood. No issues at all. No questions about what type of wood etc It seemed as if it wasn’t even on the radar for customs anymore.

vyfster
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by vyfster »

Found this on the Andertons website - https://www.andertons.co.uk/cites-law-guitarists

TL:DR - generally CITES doesn't apply to instruments anymore, however further down towards the bottom of the page there is the following:
However, some rarer forms of the dalbergia wood family such as Brazilian rosewood are still affected by the law.
Doesn't really answer your question though, sorry.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

GrantB wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:28 pm Can you take it on as hand luggage? That’s what I have done with higher end guitars, incl Braz board.
iIdid the same,but i unbolted the neck.Rocking up to the gate with a guitar length package (jb) is asking for trouble.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender

Post by vinylguy »

Kris wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:53 pm
GrantB wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:28 pm Can you take it on as hand luggage? That’s what I have done with higher end guitars, incl Braz board.
iIdid the same,but i unbolted the neck.Rocking up to the gate with a guitar length package (jb) is asking for trouble.
Not really a possibility with an acoustic....

vinylguy
Fender
Fender

Post by vinylguy »

Thanks for all your answers guys: So I guess in a nutshell nothing to be worried about.

Mr Bungle
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Mr Bungle »

Hi Grant. Hoping you or any other experienced NZG chaps could help with advice on importing vintage from USA to NZ. I’ve wanted a vintage Jazzmaster since I was 15. Now I’m in the position to get a nice looking ‘65, for a reasonable price considering what most of them sit for an age at hoping for a sale.

I’m struggling to get a definitive “how to” on importing Brazilian rosewood and CITES. I have heard of dealers who import vintage acoustics to NZ from US need them sighted and signed off in the USA with an export certificate. But there are only a handful of locations in the USA that can do it?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I don’t think this is a thing anymore for instruments made pre initial law changes. I’ve never really thought about it - just ordered, and it’s been delivered. Someone else might have a more carefully thought through response, but I’d be just buying and making sure it was with PayPal so you have a disputed mechanism if something weird transpired.

Mr Bungle
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Mr Bungle »

GrantB wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:40 pm I don’t think this is a thing anymore for instruments made pre initial law changes. I’ve never really thought about it - just ordered, and it’s been delivered. Someone else might have a more carefully thought through response, but I’d be just buying and making sure it was with PayPal so you have a disputed mechanism if something weird transpired.
Thanks. What sort of guitars have you imported recently from the US?

Rosewood has been relaxed, although Brazilian still requires certification. You could have issues even getting out of the US, don’t think NZ would have much clue.

From Reverb…

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

I imported a Gretsch 6122 from the US in 2019 and partially went through the process of getting the CITES exempt docs in order via the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service. They said it would be a minimum of 30 days before they'd have processed the application, but said most are between 60-90 days.

I paused for thought. Checked the CITES list again to see if ebony species (I was worried about the fretboard) were included to find that they aren't! So I nixed the application and just went for it...turned out foin.

Something about what Grant wrote above rings a big bell...I think there was a recent review (2021???) on the CITES agreement and musical instruments containing species of concern are now exempt from restrictions in international trade and importation. Best check...just to make sure

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

That Reverb excerpt says it all. The need to get documentation for finished instruments has ceased.

Mr Bungle
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Mr Bungle »

GrantB wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:01 pm That Reverb excerpt says it all. The need to get documentation for finished instruments has ceased.
It says the Brazilian Rosewood restrictions remain in place. Aug 28 was the CITES conference. Nov 26 it was implemented.

From Studio 1 Vintage guitars who I emailed recently:
We need to get them sighted and signed off in the USA with an export certificate. Sounds easy but there are only a handful of locations in the USA that can do it.
Frustrating to find the correct path of box ticking and form filling. It’s an expensive enough purchase that I’m not prepared to leave to chance.