Taking a guitar to and from Australia: Any CITES issues ?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Re: Taking a guitar to and from Australia: Any CITES issues ?

Post by kdawg2a »

I doubt the customs people would know the difference between a Brazilian rosewood fretboard and the rosewood looking composite ones available now. I imported 30+ guitars from NZ to USA at the start ot 2022 and not a single thing was mentioned.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Mr Bungle wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:28 pm
GrantB wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:01 pm That Reverb excerpt says it all. The need to get documentation for finished instruments has ceased.
It says the Brazilian Rosewood restrictions remain in place. Aug 28 was the CITES conference. Nov 26 it was implemented.

From Studio 1 Vintage guitars who I emailed recently:
We need to get them sighted and signed off in the USA with an export certificate. Sounds easy but there are only a handful of locations in the USA that can do it.
Frustrating to find the correct path of box ticking and form filling. It’s an expensive enough purchase that I’m not prepared to leave to chance.
Ah. That's frustrating. Good luck. Maybe a quick trip over there is in order. I've never had a guitar case even opened coming through customs, let alone any questions about wood.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Green Bastard
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Green Bastard »

I just bought a guitar through customs, declared it as both wood and more than $700 etc and got sent to the 2nd level customs gate and they weren't interested in it. 8am on a Tuesday, so might have just been CBF vibe, as they looked relatively happy to stay seated and wave me through.