acoustic search USA (san fran/santa cruz)

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Re: acoustic search USA (san fran/santa cruz)

Post by Slowy »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:42 pm
Slowy wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:39 pm
codedog wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:25 pm

It's worth getting someone to play it for you too, and sit in front of them to listen and evaluate. If you want it as a workhorse, the audience's experience is quite important too.
The brief was a nylon string couch strummer; or it was briefly.
It could be either, tho im happy to find a cheap/mid level nylon back here. More taking the chance to grab an old USA steel string acoustic while im over there.
Permission as in 'we have time to do that before heading to yosemite'....
Well that's all OK then. You had me worried for a moment.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

codedog wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:44 pm
codedog wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:25 pm

It's worth getting someone to play it for you too, and sit in front of them to listen and evaluate. If you want it as a workhorse, the audience's experience is quite important too.
I think that was a different thread. Martin/Guild/Taylor were mentioned in the first post... those names are not commonly associated with nylon strings.
Ahem... I have been looking at nylons from both Martin and Taylor but common, no.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

Slowy wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:54 pm

I think that was a different thread. Martin/Guild/Taylor were mentioned in the first post... those names are not commonly associated with nylon strings.
Ahem... I have been looking at nylons from both Martin and Taylor but common, no.
I'm on a bit of a nylon fix at the moment, courtesy of oleg's Godin. Never once thought of Martin or Taylor so far, definitely need to remedy that!

Anyway the combination of those three brands, and the mention of 70s D18, gave me the impression steel strings are involved. If Strummer is after a couch strummer nylon, he's a man after my own heart!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

codedog wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:03 pm

I'm on a bit of a nylon fix at the moment, courtesy of oleg's Godin. Never once thought of Martin or Taylor so far, definitely need to remedy that!

Anyway the combination of those three brands, and the mention of 70s D18, gave me the impression steel strings are involved. If Strummer is after a couch strummer nylon, he's a man after my own heart!
How are you enjoying the Godin? I PM'd Oleg to buy it and he said you'd beaten me to it.
He also told me it wasn't the right guitar for me and in such matters, I've never known the man to be wrong.

What are you playing it through?

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

Slowy wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:07 pm

How are you enjoying the Godin? I PM'd Oleg to buy it and he said you'd beaten me to it.
He also told me it wasn't the right guitar for me and in such matters, I've never known the man to be wrong.

I'm playing it through the Kemper, treating it like a bit of an interesting electric guitar. I also play it through my audio interface, running NAM as my "amp", and lashings of ambient plugins! I have also, once or twice, played it as a nylon string classical through the Kemper.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

codedog wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:24 pm
Slowy wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:07 pm

I'm playing it through the Kemper, treating it like a bit of an interesting electric guitar. I also play it through my audio interface, running NAM as my "amp", and lashings of ambient plugins! I have also, once or twice, played it as a nylon string classical through the Kemper.
Kemper would do it. I played it at home through my AER but it was quite astonishing with the band through Optimus Prime. I called it my Nylon Telecaster and the thing had punch and presence for days. Made a really interesting contribution to a 3 guitar band.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

Funnily enough I was playing with a 4 guitar band on Wednesday night: A revstar through an AC4, a Gibson Trini Lopez through another Vox, a Cole Clark angel through another valve amp (Artist ?), then me on the 00-28. Yeah they were all louder than me but the little Martin still cut through cleanly and really added another dimension to the sound.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1316 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Tried a couple of Martin’s for comparison this weekend (still on no shores)
Martin d28 and the hd28
Both excellent both massively different tone wise
My take is the d28 is the more balanced of the two, and if you only had one acoustic it might be the better of the two. The hd28 has ridiculous bass

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

So I might try and scout out a d28 in the san Fran / Santa Cruz area

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Oh have they changed the designation for the Martin John Mayer signature model? :mrgreen: in all seriousness though if you see the OMJM can you play one and report back? Kisses!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

jeremyb wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:28 am Oh have they changed the designation for the Martin John Mayer signature model? :mrgreen: in all seriousness though if you see the OMJM can you play one and report back? Kisses!!
No idea!
Can do x

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:28 am Oh have they changed the designation for the Martin John Mayer signature model? :mrgreen: in all seriousness though if you see the OMJM can you play one and report back? Kisses!!
There's one I know well; it's been in the hands of a friend since new and works for its living. It's a lovely thing, getting better each year and that's from a man who never met a Clapton 000 that he could like.