acoustic search USA (san fran/santa cruz)

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1315 times

acoustic search USA (san fran/santa cruz)

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Have permission to hit one or two guitar stores in san fran upon arrival next week. Will then be in santa cruz for two weeks.

Guitar centre san fran looks like a good bet. Also like the look of 'real guitars' (more high end vintage stuff tho)

Id like to find a simple workhorse used acoustic. Martin/guild/taylor etc

I tend to like a more mellow, full, bass forward acoustic than a zingy toppy one, if you know what I mean. Not too fussed on size but not small small body.

Issue is Im next to clueless when it comes to acoustics. So, say I had a $2-3k nzd (ish) price top end, what would be some used options I should scout for? Even better, if anyone can point out something online in that area thatd be amazaing. Kinda dont want do drive round the burbs tho and end up tied up in basement.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: acoustic search USA (san fran/santa cruz)

Post by vinylguy »

Are you planning on bringing it back with you or just using it while you are there ? If you are just using it while you are there something like a Taylor GS mini or Martin X series would be the obvious pick, but there might be other really good options there. Id be suspecting Breedlove and a few other US brands you dont see here would be worth looking at, not to mention Eastman etc. Of course it would also be a great opportunity to score something really good that you wouldnt be like to see here such as a nice old Martin for example. Most guys find a 000/OM size to be a good fit.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

vinylguy wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:06 am Are you planning on bringing it back with you or just using it while you are there ? If you are just using it while you are there something like a Taylor GS mini or Martin X series would be the obvious pick, but there might be other really good options there. Id be suspecting Breedlove and a few other US brands you dont see here would be worth looking at, not to mention Eastman etc. Of course it would also be a great opportunity to score something really good that you wouldnt be like to see here such as a nice old Martin for example. Most guys find a 000/OM size to be a good fit.
Oh , definitely bringing it back. If I fail to bring the girl back at least I want to come back with a guitar.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Don't forget pawn shops out there. They always had interesting gear when I lived in the states.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:43 am Have permission to hit one or two guitar stores in san fran upon arrival next week. Will then be in santa cruz for two weeks.

Guitar centre san fran looks like a good bet. Also like the look of 'real guitars' (more high end vintage stuff tho)

Id like to find a simple workhorse used acoustic. Martin/guild/taylor etc

I tend to like a more mellow, full, bass forward acoustic than a zingy toppy one, if you know what I mean. Not too fussed on size but not small small body.

Issue is Im next to clueless when it comes to acoustics. So, say I had a $2-3k nzd (ish) price top end, what would be some used options I should scout for? Even better, if anyone can point out something online in that area thatd be amazaing. Kinda dont want do drive round the burbs tho and end up tied up in basement.
Wash your mouth out. If you are going to Santa Cruz, then you should at least check them out too. Will cost you more, but you can’t buy better, unless you spend crazy money.

Santa Cruz is a really nice part of the world, cute little seaside town. There used to be a really good used instrument store there—hope it is still in business for you v

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

70s martin d28 at san fran GC

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:57 am 70s martin d28 at san fran GC
There's a D-35 vintage too! I've been in that store. Unfortunately I didn't have much time and just wanted to get a good deal on MIM Strat.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

codedog wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:05 pm
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:57 am 70s martin d28 at san fran GC
There's a D-35 vintage too! I've been in that store. Unfortunately I didn't have much time and just wanted to get a good deal on MIM Strat.
just try em both and pick the one thats coolest? or is one more magical ?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2491 times

Post by Slowy »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:43 am Have permission to hit one or two guitar stores in san fran upon arrival next week.....
Permission?!! :wtf:
That escalated quickly.

Mellow bass forward sounds Gibson to me. Martins D styles are certainly bassy but mellow is not their brief. They're designed to be heard over the sound of breaking teeth in a bar room brawl and I got that direct and in person from Mr. Mike Longworth himself.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:58 pm
Pick the one you like.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Slowy wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:20 pm

Pick the one you like.
It's worth getting someone to play it for you too, and sit in front of them to listen and evaluate. If you want it as a workhorse, the audience's experience is quite important too.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

codedog wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:25 pm

Pick the one you like.
It's worth getting someone to play it for you too, and sit in front of them to listen and evaluate. If you want it as a workhorse, the audience's experience is quite important too.
The brief was a nylon string couch strummer; or it was briefly.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Has it had a neck reset? Seriously.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Slowy wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:39 pm

Pick the one you like.
It could be either, tho im happy to find a cheap/mid level nylon back here. More taking the chance to grab an old USA steel string acoustic while im over there.
Permission as in 'we have time to do that before heading to yosemite'....

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Slowy wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:39 pm

Pick the one you like.
I think that was a different thread. Martin/Guild/Taylor were mentioned in the first post... those names are not commonly associated with nylon strings.