Pedalboard tone suckage woes

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Pedalboard tone suckage woes

Post by Bg »

And before JB jumps in accusing my moulded patch leads, please read on.

So have spent a bit of time today trying to figure out my tone suckage.

My pedalboard is now basically - guitar lead (freedom cable) - switchblade plus - guitar lead 2 (freedom cable) amp.

Tone suck.

guitar lead (freedom etc) amp, no suckage.
guitar lead 2 (freedom etc) amp, no suckage.

guitar lead (etc) - fuzziebro fuzz- guitar lead 2 - amp, suckage.
and vice versa.

I've not tried with any other pedal yet as I literally have a short fuse nowadays when it comes to things like this not working (playing through the Pod Go instead). I should probably try two different guitar leads (etc) but they're all in the basement, and I was hoping somebody would give me an answer without me needing to move further than necessary.

Hive mind please?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Re: Pedalboard tone suckage woes

Post by jeremyb »

Guitar lead 2 is likely faulty, my guess is either poor shield connection on one of the plugs, or a light short to earth, or something else in the cable thats perhaps causing a rise in capacitance which is then killing your toan.

Check the resistance from tip to sleeve on both ends, as well as tip to tip and sleeve to sleeve, if they're all zero then check the solder connections look ok, wire not frayed etc...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

depending on the pedal's bypass, you can lose high end (tone suck) that way.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah I know that, just perplexed why a Switchblade Plus would be killing tone when its not got a reputation for being a tone sucker, this was just through the switchblade... no pedals attached. Both freedom cables fine by themselves.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 656 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

In theory, 2 cables is doubling the capacitance, and if the switchblade/fuzz is a true bypass, then you're running through two cables. Solution is a buffered pedal.

However, if your hearing tone suckle from just two cables, either sounding is wrong or you have the ears of a god, because I certainly couldn't hear that. Unless the cables are coilies?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:16 pm In theory, 2 cables is doubling the capacitance, and if the switchblade/fuzz is a true bypass, then you're running through two cables. Solution is a buffered pedal.

However, if your hearing tone suckle from just two cables, either sounding is wrong or you have the ears of a god, because I certainly couldn't hear that. Unless the cables are coilies?
I have ears of lead, so yeah its monstrous if I can hear it ;)

1st test, go and get more leads from the basement.
2nd test, buy some new leads - all of mine are freedom cables made by Rob, that gives you an idea how old they are.

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by Optical »

How long are these leads? could just be too much, or possibly lead 2 is faulty as mentioned

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

is it odd that lead 2 sounds fine straight to the amp though?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

Bg wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:30 pm is it odd that lead 2 sounds fine straight to the amp though?
Yes, this means both cables are capable of working just fine.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3498 times
Been liked: 715 times

Post by Cdog »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:16 pm 2 cables is doubling the capacitance, and if the switchblade/fuzz is a true bypass, then you're running through two cables. Solution is a buffered pedal.
This!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

So where to put the buffer, in front of the switchblade as its the first (and only pedal at the moment), and will it fuck up my geranium pedals as apparently they like to be first at everything, not least the chelsea flower show.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

I’ve had bad experiences with pedals like switch blade sucking tone. I fixed (at the time) by using a boss tuner as the first pedal because it is buffered

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3498 times
Been liked: 715 times

Post by Cdog »

Buffer early in the chain. When I had a germanium fuzz on the board, I buffered right after it. Like kiwiaxe, I just used a boss tuner.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:30 pm is it odd that lead 2 sounds fine straight to the amp though?
If you had another lead handy you could A/B them with the switchblade :rofl:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:40 am I’ve had bad experiences with pedals like switch blade sucking tone. I fixed (at the time) by using a boss tuner as the first pedal because it is buffered
The irony being that the switchblade has a 'tuner out' :(