Novo Guitars

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Re: Novo Guitars

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

Mate, that is a pre covid report :wink:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Jay wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:56 pm
Mate, that is a pre covid report :wink:
So its more trustworthy now the masses aren't controlled by nanobots from the vaccine! And no 5G back then, safe as houses!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

Also open to other high-end offset suggestions. Danocasters appear to be very rare in offset form. Can't find a Fano that floats my waka.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:20 pm Also open to other high-end offset suggestions. Danocasters appear to be very rare in offset form. Can't find a Fano that floats my waka.
The Fanos that float your Waka are called Novo ;-)

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Hi. I’ve had 7 Novos working my way down to 2 all time keepers - the paisley blue Esquire type (Tele bridge pickup only) and a Lake Placid Sparkle Serus J (P90 Jazzmaster style). Every one I’d had has been outstanding in build quality, feel, playability and sound. 3 of my exes are with very good friends I see all the time. 2 of them I sold on Reverb back to the USA.

I would take one Novo - or any Custom Shop build - over 2 average Fender production models, any day of the week.

Rob, come and play mine. Then buy yourself one. It’s the sensible thing to do!
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Litterick »

I would buy a Jaguar and a Jazzmaster, to end the years-long dilemma of choosing one or the other. But I could also buy one of many bespoke guitars and still have change from $7000. I cannot think of any new guitar being worth more than $5000.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Litterick wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:28 pm I would buy a Jaguar and a Jazzmaster, to end the years-long dilemma of choosing one or the other. But I could also buy one of many bespoke guitars and still have change from $7000. I cannot think of any new guitar being worth more than $5000.
I already have four electrics and only two hands.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 827 times
Been liked: 1316 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Litterick wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:28 pm I would buy a Jaguar and a Jazzmaster, to end the years-long dilemma of choosing one or the other. But I could also buy one of many bespoke guitars and still have change from $7000. I cannot think of any new guitar being worth more than $5000.

I think the cost differential beteeen standard off the shelf and high end boutique is actually rather small for guitars when you compare it to some other products. (Watches, cars etc)

I also feel we often buy guitars as much as art works than annything else , and thus how do you gauge what art is worth?. When I look at each bespoke novo they are all uniquely different and to me very much constitute a piece of art. An off the shelf factory finished fender or Gibson (excluding master and custom stuff) probably can’t be thought of in the same way.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Litterick wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:28 pm I cannot think of any new guitar being worth more than $5000.
Cancelled! I wouldn’t bother even looking at a new guitar under $5000.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Litterick »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:15 pm

I think the cost differential beteeen standard off the shelf and high end boutique is actually rather small for guitars when you compare it to some other products. (Watches, cars etc)

I also feel we often buy guitars as much as art works than annything else , and thus how do you gauge what art is worth?. When I look at each bespoke novo they are all uniquely different and to me very much constitute a piece of art. An off the shelf factory finished fender or Gibson (excluding master and custom stuff) probably can’t be thought of in the same way.
Each Novo is unique in appearance, which justifies the price.The small cost difference overall between ordinary and unique solid-body guitars suggests little material difference in the guitars.

Semi-acoustic guitars are another matter. You can buy one made in China for $450 or ask Linda Manzer in Toronto to make you one for at least $15,000 Canadian, and wait eighteen months. You are paying for her design and craft skills, as well as high-quality materials.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Litterick wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:40 pm

Each Novo is unique in appearance, which justifies the price.The small cost difference overall between ordinary and unique solid-body guitars suggests little material difference in the guitars.

Semi-acoustic guitars are another matter. You can buy one made in China for $450 or ask Linda Manzer in Toronto to make you one for at least $15,000 Canadian, and wait eighteen months. You are paying for her design and craft skills, as well as high-quality materials.
That's an obscene amount to spend on a guitar, but Linda Manzer's guitars are truly works of art. Her acoustics really float my boat. Holding out for the lotto win before I place my order...

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Litterick wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:40 pm

If they said the cost of materials for a Novo was $1000 and labour was an extra $1000, I still would pay $7500 quite happily. They're selling something that Fender and Gibson haven't been able to for seventy years: consistent excellence. And a few bob for a unique design and finish techniques. Fine by me.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

I've been curious about Novo, Relish, etc. I wonder if there are musicians who actually gig them.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1778 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

codedog wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:38 am I've been curious about Novo, Relish, etc. I wonder if there are musicians who actually gig them.
That is rather interesting, throughout the ages most pro musicians/artists seem to gig with mainstream brands just name any pro musician and you can think of either Fender/Gibson/PRS/Suhr. Suhr is not that mainstream but they do produce heaps unlike a boutique maker like Novo