VHNGD - '72 Strat

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Re: VHNGD - '72 Strat

Post by sizzlingbadger »

MiniForklift wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:51 pm If I’m not wrong I think 300k are generally known to sound a bit on the dark side. Well, I either do remember reading that somewhere or I’ve made it up
With Humbuckers, I expect you remember that from Gibson talk ;-)
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

oh that looks lovely...
i have a 75.. my first proper guitar my parents went into debt to buy me when i was a kid.
(in the shop ... tempo music in ealing...i was offered a 67 custom tele for less money but no... i wanted a new 70's strat!)
it also sounded like a dog but about 20 years ago i replaced the bridge and/or bridge block to a steel one and it made all the difference
the 70's ones were some shit alloy apparently
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

philly wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:21 pm oh that looks lovely...
i have a 75.. my first proper guitar my parents went into debt to buy me when i was a kid.
(in the shop ... tempo music in ealing...i was offered a 67 custom tele for less money but no... i wanted a new 70's strat!)
it also sounded like a dog but about 20 years ago i replaced the bridge and/or bridge block to a steel one and it made all the difference
the 70's ones were some shit alloy apparently
Funny you should say that. I was watching Aynsley Lister discuss his CBS Strats on TPS and he specifically said that he replaced a bridge on one to 'upgrade' it only to be disappointed with the outcome. Said it lost its mojo. He put the pig-iron one back on. I might have a bridge about the place so could give it a go anyway.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:09 pm
MiniForklift wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:51 pm If I’m not wrong I think 300k are generally known to sound a bit on the dark side. Well, I either do remember reading that somewhere or I’ve made it up
Higher resistance pots usually leads to brighter toans :thumbup:
This is true. I have a drop in set with 300k pots. It gives you the option of loads it’d top end, which of course you can tame with the tone pot if you wish.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

Spent the afternoon wiring-up another drop-in. When I came to remove the old one I discovered the output from the volume pot was hanging by a thread. Maybe that explains why I wasn't too happy with the sound. Anyway, new pickups going in tomorrow.