Guitar food groups and must try guitar sounds

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Litterick
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 90 times

Re: Guitar food groups and must try guitar sounds

Post by Litterick »

Zaulkin wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:41 am
Litterick wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:32 am I do not think everyone must try any of those experiences.
Well you've got me there. I like to try lots of different flavours because they are inspiring to me and it brings me a lot of happiness, but many people can be content with what they've got. I like 'genre bending'.

If I think back to my Dad's upbringing - you got the guitar that you could afford and that became your sound, and there's nothing wrong with not collecting them all.
I was thinking that there are many different guitars in the world and many ways of playing them. There is more to life than Fender/Gibson/Marshall/Vox and blues-based rock.

That said, I have one guitar and two amps. Discovering instruments from repeated use is a joy.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Worth a look at for something less common. I'm very partial to the Gibson Mini-Humbucker. Not the firebird mini HB but the original Epiphone derived model.

Back in the day my bandmate had an LP Deluxe Goldtop which was lovely to play and had a great bright chimey sound compared to standard LPs.

I have the Seymour Duncan Mini-HB in the neck position of the Manorcaster for a it's sweet bright but fuller tone than the usual Tele pu.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

Zaulkin wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:41 am there's nothing wrong with not collecting them all.
It's true, guitars are not Pokemon! But I am predisposed to want one of everything. When they brought out the Brian Setzer Hot Rod Gretsch models in a bunch of cool colours, were I a wealthy man I probably would have bought one in every colour. And I don't know if I even like them, I've never played one. :oops:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 354 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Guitars are works of art that also make cool sounds. So they are better than paintings, sculptures etc. Nothing wrong with collecting them. Says the guy who can't play and is thinking about buying another one. Sigh.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

WellyBlues wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:28 pm Guitars are works of art that also make cool sounds. So they are better than paintings, sculptures etc. Nothing wrong with collecting them. Says the guy who can't play and is thinking about buying another one. Sigh.
To be fair though, its easier to ignore a painting if you don’t like it. :P :lol:

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

Capt. Black wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:11 pm
WellyBlues wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:28 pm Guitars are works of art that also make cool sounds. So they are better than paintings, sculptures etc. Nothing wrong with collecting them. Says the guy who can't play and is thinking about buying another one. Sigh.
To be fair though, its easier to ignore a painting if you don’t like it. :P :lol:
Also paintings are less likely to sit there judging you for not picking them up once in a while.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

If you've never delved into parallel/series wiring on a HB equipped guitar rather than full/split, you are missing out.

NZTone.e
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by NZTone.e »

I think the best guitar tone I’ve ever heard was a Les Paul double cut special II with P90s straight into a Marshall valve state II. Amp was the bi-chorus or some such, my first ‘proper’ amp I ever owned, but at the time, it was someone else playing through it!

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:19 am I've had an idea recently about a filtertron bridge / P90 necked doublecut with a bigsby style trem, I think theres a lot there to enjoy...
It ain't a double cut and the neck pickup isn't a P90 (though it is a big wide, flat coil) but this combo of pickups and trem is a lot of fun!
IMG_20240202_123936.jpg
IMG_20240202_123936.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 1837 times
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 512 times

Post by Zaulkin »

kdawg2a wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:19 pm
jeremyb wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:19 am I've had an idea recently about a filtertron bridge / P90 necked doublecut with a bigsby style trem, I think theres a lot there to enjoy...
It ain't a double cut and the neck pickup isn't a P90 (though it is a big wide, flat coil) but this combo of pickups and trem is a lot of fun!IMG_20240202_123936.jpg
You have some cool guitars!

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 375 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by vintage52 »

Interestingly, I’ve been using my Tele fairly predominantly lately into a Neuron > Laney valve amp.

The Neuron covers a range of amp like sounds that the Tele handles - it comes down to how I’ve set the Neuron.

The Tele is a 52 reissue with stock pickups.

I can get spank, sparkle and full on chug quite comfortably.

It’s a lot of fun.
Wellington

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

vintage52 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:55 pm Interestingly, I’ve been using my Tele fairly predominantly lately into a Neuron > Laney valve amp.

The Neuron covers a range of amp like sounds that the Tele handles - it comes down to how I’ve set the Neuron.

The Tele is a 52 reissue with stock pickups.

I can get spank, sparkle and full on chug quite comfortably.

It’s a lot of fun.
Also can sound fantastic for jazz.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

corsair5517
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by corsair5517 »

I’ve been chasing different noises for years - everything I like playing has been modded with different pickups than standard, and my current squeeze is a 1987 Westone Corsair, loaded with Mr Glynns The ‘Tron at the bridge, a slightly overwound Bellbird strat-a-like in the middle and a Silver Lady Tele at the neck.
Wiring is parallel/series which makes life …interesting!

Still shaking the kinks out and finding the tones I like the best, but I will allow that The ‘Tron is just epic…

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Middle position on a Les Paul that has coil splits. Run the bridge pup as a humbucker for bite and the neck one split for clarity and fullness. Blend volume and tone controls to taste. Some cool tones can be had.