Setups

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Pakehendrix
Big Muff
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Setups

Post by Pakehendrix »

Hey y'all, has anyone got opinions on the best places to get a guitar setup in Auckland?
I have a story as to why I avoid the Rockshop...A while ago I had a problem with the B string buzzing on my Strat, I took it to the K rd. Rockshop (where I bought it) and asked them to fix it, I'd only had it a few weeks. The solution was to raise the action on the B (and ONLY the B) about two or three millimetres above the rest of the strings, and then say it was fixed. They also charged me for a "setup" but there was no evidence of it being set up at all. So since then they have really been out of favour with me...

I'm just wondering if anyone knows some good places (or one awesome place) to take it for a setup. Obviously I don't want to pay a massive amount of money for it...but yeah, somewhere that takes good care of the guitar and does a really nice job of it, not a Rockshop shit job.

(Oh and P.S. I hope the gearfest goes well, I know that's where you all are)

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

Well, it's my first time using him but Mr Glyn (http://www.mrglyn.co.nz), who works out of Poolside Studios in Onehunga, is a bloody champ of a guy and his blog shows you the level that he operates at - top notch. This guy is the real deal. I have four guitars in with him at the moment for various jobs. He's great to have a yarn with and has a technical understanding beyond what I've come aross previously - hell, the guy has his own pickup winding machine!

I'll let you know how it goes, but I'm expecting to be very happy based on his blog and just talking to him.

Also, Zettwitz ( I believe it's Peter Zettwitz) in Birkenhead are known to be "the best" in Auckland historically.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

I took my 35 year old bass to Ash for some TLC.
I'm very happy with the result.
Rog recommends!!
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

sambrowne wrote:
Also, Zettwitz ( I believe it's Peter Zettwitz) in Birkenhead are known to be "the best" in Auckland historically.
I used him 13 years ago to refret a guitar of mine... came back playing pretty fantastically to be honest.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Yoda
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Yoda »

I always set up my own guitars. It's a tedious process getting it perfect because each guitar is different and some can tollerate a wider range of settings than others.

I follow my own standard procedure for all set ups and if I may say so I believe my steps are based on sound reasoning.

1) Select a string guage and stick to it. Try different brands if you wish but don't fuck with different guages unless you're willing to go back to square one on the set up.

2) Select a tuning for that guitar and stick with it. If you play 4 or 5 songs with a non standard tuning then set up one guitar for those songs and leave it tuned that way. Or if you always play in standard tuning then try not to deviate very far. Drop D is about as far from standard as I will go before I notice it's messing with my set up.

3) Once 1 & 2 are written in stone adjust the neck relief to your preference. Mine is 0.005" when capo is place on fret 1 and string is fretted at the neck to body junction, usually about 15 or so. Measurement taken at fret 6 or 7 whichever is mid-point.

4) Raise or lower saddle height to taste.

Done.

$50 please.
Last edited by Yoda on Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When you have to choose between two evils, pick the one you never tried before.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

MrGlyn - see the banner shown above, or Ash (if he has time), they'll both sort you out with a great setup...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Rog wrote:I took my 35 year old bass to Ash for some TLC.
I'm very happy with the result.
Rog recommends!!
though he didn't saw the headstock off like I asked.....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Rog

Post by Rog »

LOL!

There's not a saw tough enough to do the business of a real made in the facking U S of A, precision bass, mate. Now if it was a Gibby, a fart in its general direction would have done the job!! I think that's where headless basses come from.... ;)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

A few of the crowd at your last gig said they were willing to give it a shot....

Rog

Post by Rog »

LOL - can't you see the Steinberger they've already carved?

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

of course you could always buy a PRS, they come set up from the factory ;)

seriously - the PRS i have are the only guitars i've never felt a need to fiddle with (and subsequently need to get professionally put right)
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Rog wrote:LOL - can't you see the Steinberger they've already carved?
practicing for your not-quite-so-precision....

Rog

Post by Rog »

It wasn't very precise when it was fretless...

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

I had Zettwitz do a neck reset last year, very nice job, and Ash did some rewiring for me, and Glyn has just done a 1960s pickup rewind for me. All were great, setups I do myself as they are personal.

Ash is a top bloke and can't fault his work, Glyn is also a bloody nice guy, and did a fabulous job rewinding an obscure pup making it sound just like the original with more edge, gotta give him top marks for that.

Result, you choose, I was stoked with Ash and Glyn, Zettwitz are too far away to use again.
:lol:

cougar2007
Stagg
Stagg

Post by cougar2007 »

Check out this guy http://www.stringworkshop.co.nz he is a real nice guy does awesome work, really knows his stuff. plus he is out west auckland as well!!!!!!!