Setups

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by sambrowne »

I've got two out of my four back from Glyn and man, they feel great! He installed a Fishman undersaddle pickup and blender system in my Taylor as well as lowering the action on it and it plays a lot better now. The blender is really cool, just got to get the mic trim right on it but it's a really neat tool for having different tones from an acoustic.

My les paul (my own one) has had Phil's old Rebel Yell pickups installed and they are exactly what I was after - less squawk than regular Gibbo pups, and even the bridge sounds good on clean now, rather than having a tone that demands overdrive to sound halfway decent. The bridge sounds lush and fat, with JUST enough kick to do everything the stock pickups did (palm muting etc) but not so much that they lack sweetness, whereas the neck pup now has tons more sparkle and can actually be used for strumming, especially for low gain, just breaking up songs like say "Better Be Home Soon". And for lead, it's fat and full. I love these pickups.

I realise it's not Glyn's work that makes them sound, just thought I'd add in that little review. The les paul now plays with a slightly lowered action as requested, and intonation is now perfect with no dead spots at all. It plays exactly as it should. So I'm very happy with both.

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

Also, the difference with the bareknuckles (sorry, total hijack of the thread) to other pickups is they are matched so the volume difference between the bridge and neck is negligible. This is SO good and nothing like a stock Gibson where the neck is a big humming mess and the bridge is a punch in the face of mids. These sound like a bridge and a neck, no doubt about it, but they are both much more like each other now, in a good way. The neck has presence and bite, and the bridge has sweetness and fatness. I just love them. Now I just need another lp to put my BKP P90s into...

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

cougar2007 wrote:Check out this guy http://www.stringworkshop.co.nz he is a real nice guy does awesome work, really knows his stuff. plus he is out west auckland as well!!!!!!!
Seems like it might be a bit of a fiddle.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

sambrowne wrote:Also, the difference with the bareknuckles (sorry, total hijack of the thread) to other pickups is they are matched so the volume difference between the bridge and neck is negligible. This is SO good and nothing like a stock Gibson where the neck is a big humming mess and the bridge is a punch in the face of mids. These sound like a bridge and a neck, no doubt about it, but they are both much more like each other now, in a good way. The neck has presence and bite, and the bridge has sweetness and fatness. I just love them. Now I just need another lp to put my BKP P90s into...
You match the volumes using pickup height too, they don't need to be made that way to be even. Perhaps Mr Glyn merely set up the pickup heights well...
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Unfinished
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Unfinished »

I found that the best tone isn't necessarily where the volumes are matched. There's likely a bit of flexibility but if it's really bad.. hence changing from neck to bridge on my guitar is like an automatic boost pedal. Not a bad thing 'cause the pickup is scooped beyond help.

borge
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by borge »

but even when the heights are set right the different eqs of the pups can make a big annoying difference when you switch, eg as sam said: humming mess>punch in the face of mids

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

With the gibson les paul and the gibson 335 I had, the stock gibson pickups were well matched in volume

Very different tones though, which in my books was a good thing. do you guys switch between pickups within the same song? Sounds like something which live would make a very subtle difference, but I guess whatever makes you play the best, right?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I switch quite a lot, especially during solos - not always a subtle difference either ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

I too switch in songs. one that comes to mind is playing the violin part of whaling on the bridge pup, and then the chords over verses on the neck/bridge position.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Mr Glyn
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Mr Glyn »

[You match the volumes using pickup height too, they don't need to be made that way to be even.]

The pickup outputs do need to be matched to what you want them to do for you.
Altering the height to change the volume does work but it also changes the attack and decay of the note. You end up with very little punch and a rather dull sounding pickup.
I was very taken with the Bare Knuckles and I'm gonna be recomending them to people who want a bit of clarity from a humbucker.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

I'd really love a set of Rebel Yells.

Which I will be buying as soon as I win Lotto. :?

Mr Glyn
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Mr Glyn »

My what simple tastes you have - I'd be thinking more of a yacht

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Nah, I get seasick. Only downside with the pickups would be (more) deafness.

groovintheblues
Stagg
Stagg

Re: Setups

Post by groovintheblues »

Peter Zettwitz has recently moved to Tokeroa. Anyone wanting his mobile number is welcome to message me. Steve

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: Setups

Post by willow13 »

groovintheblues wrote:Peter Zettwitz has recently moved to Tokeroa. Anyone wanting his mobile number is welcome to message me. Steve
epic bump but good info to know

oh and Tokoroa :wink:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be