Design a mind blowing guitar...

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Design a mind blowing guitar...

Post by darkness »

ash wrote: Things like those nutty fanned fret, extended range bass instrument bristling with piezo/midi capability and Kaos pads speak to my sense of "2008 is not 1958". Even if they are a bit goofy and impractical. At least they show some imagination.
What about the Line 6 Variax jobs. But then i guess they are trying to imitate old rather than create something new.
AFK.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Wheels are round.

What can you do with them? make them lighter, heavier, solid, hollow, softer, harder, add gizmos or strip them down to a bare minimum.

They're still wheels and they're still round.

That's a tough one Ash.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

darkness wrote: What about the Line 6 Variax jobs. But then i guess they are trying to imitate old rather than create something new.
Now you're talking. Terex and I came to the same conclusion yesterday when discussing it. Its perhaps a more guitarable example than the Guitar Hero controller is.

Not much originality in the basic mechanics as a guitar, but the signal delivery system is quite different than anything before.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

ash wrote:When you get to the section on current/modern guitars, the state of the art if you will, what do you expect to see?
Nothing, I would have closed the book by then.

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

I really think something like a cross between one of Matt Bellamy's Mansons (with the KAOS pad) and some kind of semi-hollow body would be quite amazing...showing the advances in technology as far as luthiering (I'm sure thats a word, if not, COPYRIGHT) and what you can do with guitar sounds.

However, for me, "state of the art" would be something like a Karina Les Paul copy, or anything by Cort...it really is state of the art when quality instruments are available for a low cost. Comparing a $300 Cort today to an equivalent priced instrument in the 1970s, you would be hard pressed to find the "vintage" model better.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Ripping out the sounds box from a variax and putting it in a guitar hero controller :D

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Timi wrote:
ash wrote:When you get to the section on current/modern guitars, the state of the art if you will, what do you expect to see?
So, kind of like those people who only listen to Radio Hauraki because no good music has been made since 1976?
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by darkness »

ash wrote:
darkness wrote: What about the Line 6 Variax jobs. But then i guess they are trying to imitate old rather than create something new.
Now you're talking. Terex and I came to the same conclusion yesterday when discussing it. Its perhaps a more guitarable example than the Guitar Hero controller is.

Not much originality in the basic mechanics as a guitar, but the signal delivery system is quite different than anything before.
Well talking about signal delivery made me think of midi pickups as well. Or even Gibsons digital guitar. Those I guess are what I see as some of the latest advancements.

It's hard to try and change the actual mechanics of a guitar without directly affecting the way it has to be played i guess.
AFK.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

ash wrote:
Timi wrote:
So, kind of like those people who only listen to Radio Hauraki because no good music has been made since 1976?
Tim sure likes his Hauraki

MetalAcoustic
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MetalAcoustic »

ash wrote:

i had a good look at a variax at the guitar store yesterday. good gosh, theyre heavy. :shock: its most likely piezo technology, as the bridge unit was made by LR Baggs. didnt plug it in to see if it had the usual piezo quack though.
We were just trying to write songs about prostitutes and lesbians, that's all - Paul McCartney

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

My needs are pretty conventional.... I want something like a long neck with no headstock. A bit like a steinberger but lose the body. Made from carbon fibre - with no pups, so a bit like the variax. But mostly I want it to stay in tune - if you achieve a guitar that stays in tune I reckon you've cracked it ;) If you can manage it, dispense with the strings - a touch sensitive fretboard would be so much nicer :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

This is you then? :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

bluesgeek wrote:My needs are pretty conventional.... I want something like a long neck with no headstock. A bit like a steinberger but lose the body. Made from carbon fibre - with no pups, so a bit like the variax. But mostly I want it to stay in tune - if you achieve a guitar that stays in tune I reckon you've cracked it ;) If you can manage it, dispense with the strings - a touch sensitive fretboard would be so much nicer :)
Sounds like quite a few people here are calling out for the return of these:

:wink:
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

ash wrote:
Timi wrote:
Nope, I love lots of modern music and hate the radio.
I just happen to think that no guitars or basses worth my time were designed after 60's, with the exception of the Musicman bass in the 70's and the G&L's from the early 80's.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Gelato wrote:
bluesgeek wrote:My needs are pretty conventional.... I want something like a long neck with no headstock. A bit like a steinberger but lose the body. Made from carbon fibre - with no pups, so a bit like the variax. But mostly I want it to stay in tune - if you achieve a guitar that stays in tune I reckon you've cracked it ;) If you can manage it, dispense with the strings - a touch sensitive fretboard would be so much nicer :)
Sounds like quite a few people here are calling out for the return of these:

:wink:
yep similar, only the body's way to big and it still has strings rather than touch sensitive pads (like on a laptap touchpad) ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.