Jackson SL3 Pickup Advice

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

andrew_k
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Jackson SL3 Pickup Advice

Post by andrew_k »

Hi,
I just signed up. Looks like a great community here, can't believe I only just discovered it.

I'm currently contemplating getting a Jackson Soloist SL3. If I do I will replace the stock Seymour Duncans with pickups with less metal oriented, sweeter, more complex tones. At the moment I am thinking Kinman Avn 56's in the neck and middle positions and a Bareknuckle Mule for the bridge.

However I am not sure how well these will work with the maple through neck. Years ago I had an Ibanez that also had a maple through neck with a Floyd Rose trem and I recall the overall tone being quite bright, despite installing DiMarzio Hs3 pickups (neck, middle) and a fairly fat sounding DiMarzio bridge humbucker (can't recall the model name now).

The SL3 is still on its way to NZ so I haven't had a chance to check out its acoustic tone. Hence I don't know how it will compare to my old Ibanez. Can anyone describe the typical unplugged tone of SL3's? Any pickup recommendations? I loved the lead tone of the late Shawn Lane, and generally prefer more organic, uncompressed, complex, rich kind of tones rather than trebly, cutting, aggressive ones (or am I just getting old??)

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Re: Jackson SL3 Pickup Advice

Post by hamo »

Can't help you myself, I'm afraid, but I'll keep an eye out for that JB humbucker on TradeMe... :wink:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I'm not sure this guitar is going to give the kinds of tones you describe regardless of pickup choice. I'm no mind reader, so its impossible to understand the tones you have in your head... but your description and the maple/alder/FR nature of the SL3 don't match up too well in my head.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

MetalAcoustic
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MetalAcoustic »

Andrew,

the anticipation is mercilessly killing you by now, but ill say wait till it arrives. hey, you might like the stockies!

anyway, you cant go wrong with kinmans if youre after the shimmering strat tones without the hum. im too biased toward the classic PAF tone, so ive got nothing substantial to talk you out of what you already have in mind.
We were just trying to write songs about prostitutes and lesbians, that's all - Paul McCartney

andrew_k
Stagg
Stagg

Post by andrew_k »

Thanks for all the replies - much appreciated!
hamo wrote:Can't help you myself, I'm afraid, but I'll keep an eye out for that JB humbucker on TradeMe... :wink:
If I do get the guitar and replace the pickups that's where the JB will end up (and the Hot Rails) :D
ash wrote:I'm not sure this guitar is going to give the kinds of tones you describe regardless of pickup choice. I'm no mind reader, so its impossible to understand the tones you have in your head... but your description and the maple/alder/FR nature of the SL3 don't match up too well in my head.
This is the big fear, especially based on my recollection of the Ibanez. However there will be 2 SL3's to choose from, so I'm hoping one may sound a little warmer and rounder acoustically than the other.
MetalAcoustic wrote:Andrew, the anticipation is mercilessly killing you by now, but ill say wait till it arrives. hey, you might like the stockies!

anyway, you cant go wrong with kinmans if youre after the shimmering strat tones without the hum. im too biased toward the classic PAF tone, so ive got nothing substantial to talk you out of what you already have in mind.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it! I may just like the stock pickups too, as you said. Will have to wait and see...

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

just use your volume pot, JB and HR pups are great
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.