Marge Suzuki Custom!!!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Marge Suzuki Custom!!!

Post by ash »

The Sarge has a new guitar too...

I've wanted for some time to try out different levels of chambering on solid body piezo equipped guitar to see how it affects the amplified tone. Mukuzi-san nabbed the first Pelorus EN off the bench today to satisfy his nylon stringed desires.

Ash Pelorus EN:

The body and neck are solid cedrella, fretboard and headstock faces are rosewood.
I have a second one 90% done that is partially hollow to see how that affects the amplified sound.

The first two have bolt-on necks to allow for twiddling and whatnot. Once the design is sorted, I might just do set necks.

This is the new slotted headstock shape for Pelorus (parlour guitars) and Lapsteels.

No soundhole for Sgt Mukuzi's one. The other one has a fake soundhole and a paua rosette which makes it look a little more conventional. The body shape and proportions are based on an 18th century French LaCote parlour guitar.

So, Sgt has taken it away for some recording and fidgeting. It has a Fishman Sonicore piezo pickup under the saddle which runs directly to the jack, no preamp or controls onboard, since he has better valve DI and preamps to run through externally. Once some experimentation has been done, a dedicated preamp either internal or external can be devised to get the best sound out of this plank.
Last edited by ash on Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Re: Marge Suzuki Custom!!!

Post by Ironbird13 »

8) wow that looks cool Ash, for some reason im drawn towards a round guitar :shock: , maybe because ....

... its different,

... in an awesome way, no pup visable, no soundhole, and no fret markers

8) 8) 8)
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

bass player in my band says its one of the coolest guitars he has ever seen, it just rings and has so much volume unplugged. drummer in my band makes preamps for his uke buddys so by next week the valve DI will have its own input for it. it smells so sweet and plays so well
i`m keeping it 8)

thanks Ash :mrgreen:
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

Where's JD these days? I'm seeing some GAS in her future... :D
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Hi Ash - a question - did you make the neck on sgt's guitar from original unworked wood or is that a commercially made job (warmouth etc) modified?? cheers.
You can't do THAT on stage!

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

its an ash original, the headstock is soooooooo pretty in real life

the rosewood inlay is perfect, the guys in my band last night didnt want to let go of it, the bass player played it for about an hour, it was quite magical watching somone jus love a guitar and knowing its mine made it even better
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

That is farking cool! The last 2 guitars you've posted here (this one and Darkness's hot rod) are my 2 favourite of yours I've seen Ash. I particularly like the slightly offset shape you've introduced to the Heilo.

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

benderissimo wrote:That is farking cool! The last 2 guitars you've posted here (this one and Darkness's hot rod) are my 2 favourite of yours I've seen Ash. I particularly like the slightly offset shape you've introduced to the Heilo.
its beyond belief, after the pre production meeting I had an idea what the guitar would be like, i am stoaked how it turned out. I held the body blank and for the one and only time in my life I could understand all those pictures in american magazenes of luthers flicking there finger or knocking on slabs of wood with a twinkle in their eye. The cedrella body is so light it feels hollow, sounds hollow. I don’t want to internally mount any electronics because the wood is so nice as it is.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Yeah it's beautiful in its simplicity. A work of art. Well done agin Ash and Sgt. M.

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

Capt. Black wrote:Yeah it's beautiful in its simplicity. A work of art. Well done agin Ash and Sgt. M.
yea Ash rules! it was him, i just paid for it

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

You're a patron of the arts.

Bet you never thought you'd acquire that label. ;)

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

Capt. Black wrote:You're a patron of the arts.

mate :D i got art commin out me arse

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

Pics or it didn't happen :lol:

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

sgt mukuzi wrote:
Capt. Black wrote:You're a patron of the arts.

mate :D i got art commin out me arse
Yes and quite an exhibition it was too. :P ;)

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

my mother was impressed

need to finish work so i can get back on the Ash Pelorus EN