How much will YOU pay??

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

How much will YOU pay??

Post by B45-12 »

Hey guys - anyone else feel like this. When I was first starting out (Rog was young then too - dinosaurs roamed the earth and fire had not been invented, but I digress etc etc.) if the retailers had asked for my soul it would have been where do you want me to sign. But nowdays I find it hard to think of buying much over $1k and anything over 2k's - forget it!! grasping retaillers, theiving conmen etc etc.

Partly I suspect it's aging, but I wonder - anyone else got any ideas?? after all I still love the blasted things and you can NEVER have too many.
You can't do THAT on stage!

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Re: How much will YOU pay??

Post by rocklander »

I reckon about 1.5K is my absolute top mark. I just don't see me as being a good enough musician to actually hear the difference between a 1.5K whatever and a 4 - 5K whatever.. I wont hear 3-4K difference so why would I buy it?
I have no doubt that others will hear it, but I wont and I'm the one forking out (or not as the case has it)
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

It's all academic for me. The most I've ever spent was $1300, and that was for a guitar and amp in 1994. If I had the money spare, there's no limit to what I'd spend, but there's not much wiggle room right now. All other things being equal probably $1500-$2000 would be my limit for a single item.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by darkness »

Well after shelling out well over a couple of grand for my Ash Custom, it's all subjective.

my first guitar cost me $350 used. At one point I didn't think I could spend more than 1k on an instrument.

And I said to Ash, that there were times I didn't think I could play well enough to deserve the guitar he made for me. but in the end, it wasn't about how much it cost, it was the quality of the instrument, and thats it's something completely unique to me, there is no other like it.
AFK.

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

At one point i was contemplating scraping up the funds for the JS Black Dog....... :o
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

B45-12 wrote:Hey guys - anyone else feel like this. When I was first starting out (Rog was young then too - dinosaurs roamed the earth and fire had not been invented, but I digress etc etc.) if the retailers had asked for my soul it would have been where do you want me to sign. But nowdays I find it hard to think of buying much over $1k and anything over 2k's - forget it!! grasping retaillers, theiving conmen etc etc.

Partly I suspect it's aging, but I wonder - anyone else got any ideas?? after all I still love the blasted things and you can NEVER have too many.
I'm with you on this...for me a lot of has to do with how much more expensive things are now

back in the 80's you could get a new LP custom for $1200 and now there over $5000 and there is NO way it can be justified for me (inflation my ass :roll: )a lot of it has to do with finance being so easy to get, its like people don't even look at the price tag anymore cause there gonna just tick it up anyway, so instead of it being $5000 its more like its only $20 a week..... I know when I got gear back in the day I paid cash, cause finance was much harder to get and you needed a deposit to so it was just as easy to wait and save the full amount
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

I swore off finance a long time ago. If I can't afford it in cash I don't buy it. Finance is like having your nuts removed with a potato peeler instead of a knife
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 409 times

Post by dayl »

If I like and can afford then will buy....cash! not finance, I have a family so I will put aside funds for my hobby.
But if funds permitted, I would have no trouble dropping $3000 on a custom hardtail Suhr Modern at all. Or maybe a hardtail caparison dellinger II.

I buy sec-hand usually, and rebuild with decent parts so while I hit the $1500 mark, it is gradual ... bit by bit.

plus, see as I cant always afford retail so I hit up the bay, e.g. I got and EMG SA/SA/81 set up as new for approx $200 NZD at one stage, but that was when we were hit around 80cents to the US$, not as much fun now tho, but that beats the $500+NZD that I was facing over here.

I think that maybe its not the pricing so much, it the fact that you are feeling the burn of your pension old man. haha

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Excluding my Ash custom... $2000-ish.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

well the most i have paid was $2000 for the Gibson V when i was 18, got to play on one again the other day when i was in the Hamitlton RS, and i actually prefer the feel of my $950 Ironbird, maybe 'cause im used to that one? :P
but now it would depend on spare money at the time and if i REALLY wanted it
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Most for me is $1300, (I think another similar/interesting topic would be how much did your rig cost you and how much would it cost if you had to replace it. (Me? $3000 or so vs. $6500+ :shock: most of that was by way of trading up over time))
dayl wrote:But if funds permitted, I would have no trouble dropping $3000 on a custom hardtail Suhr Modern at all. Or maybe a hardtail caparison dellinger II.
If you ever find a Suhr for 3000 (not a pro series) then let me know!!! :D

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 409 times

Post by dayl »

robnobcorncob wrote:Most for me is $1300, (I think another similar/interesting topic would be how much did your rig cost you and how much would it cost if you had to replace it. (Me? $3000 or so vs. $6500+ :shock: most of that was by way of trading up over time))
dayl wrote:But if funds permitted, I would have no trouble dropping $3000 on a custom hardtail Suhr Modern at all. Or maybe a hardtail caparison dellinger II.
If you ever find a Suhr for 3000 (not a pro series) then let me know!!! :D
Haha, well, you got my drift though right?, I was looking at the Order sheet for the Suhr Modern and the base pricing was nuts, But lots of creamy options.

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Post by rob_on_guitar »

I have no qualms playing anything from cheapos to the primo, but it has to have a certain feel or I will lose interest fast.

The noise I can manipulate, but you manipulate feel.

So if a cheapo 'feels' right then Ill buy it, if an expensive guitar has the feel then Ill finance if i dont have the cash, but normally I can pay 70%+ if I finance.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

dayl wrote:I buy sec-hand usually, and rebuild with decent parts so while I hit the $1500 mark, it is gradual ... bit by bit.
That's a good point - I can probably spend more over time than I can in one go. When I bought my Epi it was with every intention of upgrading the pups.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

I suppose fifteen hundred to two thousand would be the current upper limit for me, but I haven't even come close to spending that much on a guitar yet.

But if I won Lotto, I'd be flying to the US and coming home a fortnight or so later with fifty grands' worth of gear. Though I suppose that goes without saying for all of us. :wink: