How much will YOU pay??

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: How much will YOU pay??

Post by ash »

stark wrote:
I'd hazrd a guess that the law of diminishing returns would kick in on guitars at around $1K. Amps at around $3K.

I have that almost the other way around, but thats just me. I think it comes down to what you're paying attention too, or obsessing over. I just don't care that much about amps. As long as they sound ok, have enough gain and don't take up too much room I'm happy. My $600 H&K is almost all the amplifier I want. In order to get the remaining 5 or 10% I'd need to spend another $2000 or more. If I was gigging on guitar, "All the amplifier I'd want" would probably get a few more criteria though". I had to spend $2600 to meet my minimum gigging bass rig needs a decade ago.

Guitars are a different matter. I've seen nothing under $2000 that I wouldn't want to take to with a blade to meet my requirements. Similarly I've seen nothing over $2500 that was much better in the ways that matter to me. One thing I say about my guitars is that once you get to about $3k, any price increase is probably all cosmetic (functional craziness like 8 strings and onboard wackiness excepted). On the other hand, I've seen a $599 Ibanez that would be perfectly adequate for almost anyone (and with work I could make it kick some asses and take some names). But this game has never been about "adequate" for most of us, has it?

The difference between the $599 RG121 and the $2800 PGM301 is in the fine details, lots of them. The untrained observer wouldn't be able to pick those details, probably not even a beginner guitarist could. But I can... and I think some of those little details are what make you want to pick a certain guitar up day after day and not some other one.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

sgt mukuzi wrote:
benderissimo wrote:Until recently the most I'd paid for a guitar was $1200 for a Les Paul special doublecut in about 1997. When I last went shopping for a new one, a PRS SE was $1500 and I thought I'd done well bargaining it down to $1000 until about 4 months later when the RS started selling them for $895
yea, its a classic really, there top dollar in the uk, usa and aus market, they sell for 1600 in australia, 500+ quid in the uk (i can say quid because i was born in london) and over 500 us dollars in the usa

thanks to the rock shop we get em cheep
Yeah. I'd rate them as one of the best value guitars on trademe- no-one will buy them so they go really cheap. Saw one go for $450 not too long ago. Ridiculous.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

I think some of those little details are what make you want to pick a certain guitar up day after day and not some other one.
Totally agree. The "can't keep your hands off it" factor is well worth paying for.

stark
Squier

Post by stark »

ash wrote:
stark wrote:
I'd hazrd a guess that the law of diminishing returns would kick in on guitars at around $1K. Amps at around $3K.

I have that almost the other way around, but thats just me. I think it comes down to what you're paying attention too, or obsessing over.
Ultimately I'm obsessed with sound, but i obsess over guitars too. I love them both, but I've found my guitar obsessions are more inexpensively satisfied than amp obsessions.

I'm not a gentle player, and expensive guitars, especially other ppl's expensive guitars, scare the crap outta me.

I was also considering the "big picture-ish" scenario of having a $1K guitar and a $1K amp, and that upgrading the amp to one worth $3K would have a much more significant impact on one's sound (and volume :twisted: ) than upgrading the guitar to $3K.

Also, I'm just an end-user - you're a luthier, so I guess it's no surprise where your obsessions lie, and it's reassuring to me (as a customer) that you hold the viewpoint you do.
ash wrote:But this game has never been about "adequate" for most of us, has it?
LOL, yeah "adequate" is highly overrated. :wink:
this one's special, this is the ultimate, after this i'll never need another amp, EVER...Image
starkAM

NZ__Ninja
Squier
Been liked: 1 time

Post by NZ__Ninja »

all depends on how good the guitar is! if i played it 20 times over and continually dreamed about it at night then id be willing to pay alot more!
Les Paul standard with Bareknuckle rebel yells
Ernie ball volume > Boss TU2 > Boss CS3 modded > Barber LTD >G2D Standard > Boss DD5 > TC nova repeater
Fender Blues Deluxe

danrawkz
PRS
PRS

Post by danrawkz »

$1500 would probably be my stop-point (not including aftermarket upgrades)

this because $1500 is usually enough to backbone a very decent guitar, after this price range you seem to get some huge diminishing returns imo

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

I think you can be influenced by perseption too. If I had a bit more money, then I would probably consider parting with $4k for a PRS, because that's what I've been led to believe they're worth. Similarly, with ESPs for example, I look at their graduated system for their models (200, 400, 600, ESP etc), and I perceive theit relative values accordingly, so that maybe I would pay $2500 for a Laiho 600. Is it worth that much? I don't know. What's my point? Can't really remember... :mrgreen:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Having said all that though, I could set myself up for under 2.5k at the mo and be quite happy:

ESP EC400VF - $1299
Crate Blackheart or similar - $800
EHX Metal Muff - $250-ish

That setup would do me nicely, although I'm rapidly learning that nothing staves off GAS... :?

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I enjoy buying cheaper guitars - some that tone snobs would have nightmares about. :lol:
I refuse to pay more than about $600.
I prefer to buy brand new.

I have paid more in the past, but here's the main point - I am no longer playing in bands. Therefore, it would be a complete wate of money for me to pay lots of money for any gear. In my world - playing in a band means buying great gear (according to my preferences), not playing in a band means why bother?

ymmv
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Rog wrote:I enjoy buying cheaper guitars - some that tone snobs would have nightmares about. :lol:
I refuse to pay more than about $600.
I prefer to buy brand new.

I have paid more in the past, but here's the main point - I am no longer playing in bands. Therefore, it would be a complete wate of money for me to pay lots of money for any gear. In my world - playing in a band means buying great gear (according to my preferences), not playing in a band means why bother?

ymmv
I agree to a point Rog, but for me spending the money is about self satisfaction, getting the feel and the sound that I want, and enjoying my hobby. My view might be different since I've never played in a band, never had a "workhorse guitar" that I've viewed as a tool.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

The most I've paid for a guitar is $1500 for a second hand 04 US Deluxe HSS Strat. My current Strat, an 08 US Std was just under that, but the upgrades that I've done (pickups, tuners) put it just over that, so about $1600 I guess. I would be reluctant to spend more than that on a guitar, but I guess if money was no obstacle (which unfortunately, it is) I could stretch to $2500 ish. It'd have to be pretty special for me to pay that much though. I might pay more for a 'collectors item', like a pre CBS Strat or something, but that would me more from an investment/collection point of view.

The most I've spent on an amp is $1699, which is what I paid for a brand new PV Classic 50 410 in 1999. The retail was a bit over that, but I got some serious mates rates because I'd worked at Rockshop with the guy who served me. That was without a doubt the best guitar gear purchase I ever made. Again though, I think if money was no obstacle, I would consider paying three or four grand on an amp, if it was a truly amazing sounding amp. I really believe the most important factors for good tone are you fingers and a good amp. A great guitar will sound crap through a crap amp, but a crap guitar can be made to sound passable through a great amp, in my opinion.

So far though, I don't think there's an amp that I've found that I would spend that much on, except maybe OtisRedding's Victorilux. Even then I would try and find a good deal second hand.

I'm all about value for money.

NZ__Ninja
Squier

Post by NZ__Ninja »

hamo wrote:so that maybe I would pay $2500 for a Laiho 600. Is it worth that much? I don't know:mrgreen:
I love children of bodom aye, one of my favorite bands and alexi is very good. i really want one of his sawtooth custom shop guitars, the ones he actually uses(!!!!!, none of this LTD crud), the pink and black V haha. but that retails at over 6k or the yellow and black one for over 4k i think. both of those ones are alot better than the 600's though, however between the pink and yellow theres 2k difference where for the pink one you pay for the pink limited edition (only a few hundred made i think).
Ernie ball volume > Boss TU2 > Boss CS3 modded > Barber LTD >G2D Standard > Boss DD5 > TC nova repeater
Fender Blues Deluxe

NZ__Ninja
Squier

Post by NZ__Ninja »

back on track however...i just paid 2.2k for a gretsch but i got a very good deal (only 1 year old in mint condition and down from 4.5k), i would really like a les paul for 3kish and a gretsch white penguin for 4ish, snd a strat. thats extremely long term though :lol: ,oh plus many other guitars ill probably never buy. i think if it was a very good deal like i was just saying id be willing to pay a bit more knowing its worth alot more.
Fender Blues Deluxe

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

NZ__Ninja wrote:back on track however...i just paid 2.2k for a gretsch but i got a very good deal (only 1 year old in mint condition and down from 4.5k)
I think your one retails at more like between $3500 and $4K.

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

it was 3.4 or 3.7 cant remember atm.