Fixed bridges

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

What kind of fixed bridge do you prefer?

Hardtail (Strat/Tele)
20%
Tune-o-matic and tailpeice (Les Paul etc)
30%
Wraparound/Stoptail (PRS, LP Junior etc)
17%
Tune-o-matic strung through the body (ESP, Jackson etc)
17%
Hell No! I want to handle Wang bars. Gimme the Wanger lovin'
9%
Don't care either way
7%

Total votes: 46

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Re: Fixed bridges

Post by sty »

I can only comment on what I've played to date. limited experience I suppose...

anyway of all my guitars I prefer the LP style tunomatic and tailpiece on my ZW Custom, it feels higher off the body which for some reasons is more comfortable and there's plenty of string behind the bridge which seems to mak eit easier for me to get my positioning for muting and generally it feels more comfy. My only curretn criticism of it is that I have top wrapped it and it seems a little bodged.

my 2nd fave is my Ash Radian SG which has the wrapround/stoptail thing. I actually quite like this but my hand feels like it's floating off the back of it at times and it feels a bit close to the body, but that could be the SG shape maybe.

What would be interesting to try is a wrapround/stoptail with a tunomatic on my ZW Custom, it would be neater if nothing else.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

i prefer a tunomatic with string through, it looks simple and tidy, havn't tried the wraparound bridge yet, but dont know if i would like that, i like to have the strings past the bridge so i can press on them (like a single string wammy :lol: )
ive only had one guitar with a FR and that just enforced why ive always had fixed bridges,( so is it all fixed now Sarge?) :wink:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

r4nd0m
Ashton
Ashton

Post by r4nd0m »

FR's are cool man. Strat Trem sucks. Wraparounds are defintely better than the other fixed bridge types, so nice to rest my palm on, but with the wraparound I'm missing the few inches of strings between the bridge and stoptail to reshape my picks.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

hard or soft it must be smooth and gentle on the hand. ...this means I dislike tunomatics and vintage strat bridges..
After a while they cut through my hand whle muting etc......

I also dislike any trem that shifts with palm muting......and I prefer string height not to change when using the whammy...

so my favourites are (in no particular order)

Steinberger S trem
Kahler
Hipshot hardtail strat bridge (lovely piece of engineering)
Wilkensons....
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

Ironbird13 wrote:i prefer a tunomatic with string through, it looks simple and tidy, havn't tried the wraparound bridge yet, but dont know if i would like that, i like to have the strings past the bridge so i can press on them (like a single string wammy :lol: )
ive only had one guitar with a FR and that just enforced why ive always had fixed bridges,( so is it all fixed now Sarge?) :wink:

yea bro, shizile it was a mission in the end, got two spare bits off a friend so its a bodgied up and works a treat, nearly snagged an original floyd off raid-me but some POS started bidding on it damn!
its a great guitar and my son likes it so thats the main thing, ive been using it at practice, those pick ups are fantastic, real magnets and all. in the end it was worth it, now i have my horizon, i dont need nuffin

:D

its hard to get an 8 year old into playing a guitar, the floyd is the ticket he does steve vai moves as he carries it by its whammy bar
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

r4nd0m wrote:FR's are cool man. Strat Trem sucks. Wraparounds are defintely better than the other fixed bridge types, so nice to rest my palm on, but with the wraparound I'm missing the few inches of strings between the bridge and stoptail to reshape my picks.

thats it! you have to come and jam with my band!
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

dayl wrote: I must say that the fixed edge that Ibanez are dropping has my attention, good luck getting your hands on one though.
I know of at least 2 in Auckland, both at Music Works (Takapuna and Hobson St). They have caught my eye as well, seems like a pretty neat idea.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

Danger Mouse wrote:
dayl wrote: I must say that the fixed edge that Ibanez are dropping has my attention, good luck getting your hands on one though.
I know of at least 2 in Auckland, both at Music Works (Takapuna and Hobson St). They have caught my eye as well, seems like a pretty neat idea.
Picture?

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

benderissimo wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:
Picture?
This is on the MTM (Mick Thomson/Slipknot sig series).

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

Lawrence wrote:it must be smooth and gentle on the hand. ...this means I dislike tunomatics and vintage strat bridges..
After a while they cut through my hand whle muting etc......
i actually prefer the protruding sharp saddles, lets me know where exactly my hand is placed for muting, though the ones on my Ironbird have worn down a mill or two over the years :lol:
had a play on a mates Jem yesterday and found the FR saddles tooo smooth and flat, couldn't tell if i was muting on the bridge or on the strings
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

Danger Mouse wrote: This is on the MTM (Mick Thomson/Slipknot sig series).

Why? I can unnerstan an FR but a fixed one? WTF?

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

Main reasons I can see is feel (if you've only ever played FR guitars, Tune-O-Matics and the like can feel awkward) and stability, as a good quality, well set-up FR never goes out of tune. The only things that annoy me about FR guitars are the fact that to change the tuning takes 1/2 an hour minimum and if you break a string mid-song, you're fecked. Both those issues are solved by the fixed FR.

Bocob
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Bocob »

My rip off Jackson Rhoads V has a Floyd Rose but i never use it, so it's pretty much a fixed bridge to be cause I don't even use the tuning thingys on the bridge lol. I just unlock the tuning lock up thingy ma jigs at the top of the neck slightly so I can use the tuning pegs on the neck, quite convenient :D

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I no longer enjoy playing Trems, so both of mine are effectively hard-tailed. I prefer the Fender style for ease of palm muting. My other guitars are tune-a-matics and they too are fine, but just not as good for my style of playing.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...