Less Loudness= More Dynamic Range

Wear your heart on your sleeve with pride! A plethora of jams and collobarations and stuff...

Moderator: Capt. Black

bender
Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Re: Less Loudness= More Dynamic Range

Post by bender »

I've never actually looked into how sound check in iTunes/iPod works. The one time I used it it didn't seem to work all that well so I assumed it was using peak level (dBFS) to compare tracks. If it's using RMS it would be more effective but there would need to be some kind of limiter built in to it or you'd end up with clipping all over the place.

I really need to look into what the real world implications of "Mastered for iTunes" are.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

benderissimo wrote:
dylan wrote:i reckon an average of -13db is a good compromise between using all the bits available and having some dynamic range.

of course, every different program seems to come up with a different average volume for the same song...
-14dB RMS to -10dB RMS is the accepted target range for reasonable dynamic mixes. -20dB RMS is a good target to aim for if you're going to be having it professionally mastered. Mastered to -10dB RMS still sounds good without sounding smashed to f*ck.

On this topic, I need some mixes to use to work on my mastering chops if anyone is keen. Single songs are fine but an EP would be better. Not looking for any money- just need material to polish my technique on.
could be keen and may have some stuff ready in the next week or so, will flick a PM
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Capt. Black wrote:Ps. Why anyone masters for radio these days is beyond me.....

....Unless you seriously have a shot at AirPlay.....

..... In which case, re-master for radio. No?
I get some local air down here and I find with the amount off compression they add for broadcasting you need even less in mastering.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Radio compression is painful at times. Especially with some songs. Like 'Hey You'.

Some guitar, some singing, clear as... then the bass and drums kick in and the compression renders it into sludge.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol