Hamilton Gearfest II - July 11th

Info about upcoming gearfests etc

Moderator: Capt. Black

Are you coming?

Yes. I will be there.
50%
No. I won't be there (but I wish I could be).
30%
Yes. I will be there and I'm car pooling.
5%
No. I won't be there (but I might change my mind and come anyway).
15%

Total votes: 20

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Hamilton Gearfest II

Post by rocklander »

wait.. is it new? I thought it was pre-loved.. my bad :oops:

and you'll have a hand made tremolo :wink:
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 662 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I might be able to make it, if I can I'll bring my Cole Clark and Lowden Acoustics.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 859 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

I've got an amp & quad to bring... it's black, beautiful & just a lil' bit spooky and needs to get out of it's cage, if it were an animal it would be some kind of bird of prey. It rarely gets angry at me but I'm sure some of you guys could bring out the worst in this one.
See you there...
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

Ok, we need to work out a date. How about...

July 11, which is a Saturday. 1pm - 6pm (like last time).

All good? I will make a booking. Also, I can book some side rooms for those who wanted some more private tone seeking at the last Gearfest. 8)
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Hamilton Gearfest II - July 11th

Post by Tonemaker »

Ok whos bringing a MK5 ? That would be interesting amp to check out... Is their one in NZ yet?

http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/2009 ... _Demo.aspx
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

Swoop
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Swoop »

Last edited by Swoop on Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3930 times

Post by Bg »

Tonemaker wrote:Ok whos bringing a MK5 ? That would be interesting amp to check out... Is their one in NZ yet?
MX5? Yeah me, but I've had them for years???

About the luthier issue, take it up with Ash or Mr Glynn but I should imagine they don't want to spend the whole afternoon doing 15 buck setups when they could be enjoying themselves and selling the real deal and you get your guitar back playing the best it ever has?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Swoop
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Swoop »

Last edited by Swoop on Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Swoop wrote:Of course not, that'd just be stupid. It'd have to be for a predetermined length of time only, and just try to fit in as many as possible within that timeframe or something.
If Ash is there this time, I know he'd be happy to answer any questions - as he has in the past, but maybe he needs a day off every now and then to chew the fat and not sort out guitars without a workshop full of tools? I could be wrong, I'm sure he'll stamp on me hard if I am :)

and perhaps he needs the mental space to concentrate on the next random samicks gig ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

BG wrote:
Swoop wrote:Of course not, that'd just be stupid. It'd have to be for a predetermined length of time only, and just try to fit in as many as possible within that timeframe or something.
If Ash is there this time, I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions, but maybe he needs a day off every now and then to chew the fat and not sort out guitars without a workshop full of tools? I could be wrong, I'm sure he'll stamp on me hard if I am :)
but, didn't he get May off?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

rocklander wrote:
BG wrote:
If Ash is there this time, I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions, but maybe he needs a day off every now and then to chew the fat and not sort out guitars without a workshop full of tools? I could be wrong, I'm sure he'll stamp on me hard if I am :)
but, didn't he get May off?
shoot, I've just edited my post and now you quote me you fcuking fcuker... now I have to doctor your post too :(

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

Swoop wrote:Question/suggestion: Is there going to be, or is it possible to get an, or a few, experienced guitar tech(s) to be there to maybe perform some setups on our guitars? Just shit like action, intionation, truss rod adjustments etc? I'm reasonably knowledgeable and confident with such things, and I reularly perform these adjustments myself to great effect, but I just thought there may be some out there who would benefit from having an experienced techy give their guitars a once over, and I wouldn't mind them giving my guitars a quick adjustment to, just so I know it's done right and it's all in top shape. Would obviously need to be someone reliable, because I'm sure we don't want just any old monkey messing with our gear and cocking it all up or damaging them or something. I'm sure that wouldn't happen, but that's always my biggest concern with getting someone to do anything for me.

If this can happen, I'll definitely be interested in coming along.
Hey Swoop, this is a gearfest. If you want a local for fixing your guitars go see Keith MacMillan:

Keith MacMillan Stringed Instruments
36 High Street
Hamilton
(07) 8340277

http://www.finda.co.nz/business/listing ... struments/

The first Hamilton Gearfest was a blast and I for one learnt a lot. The aim of the of the event is to have fun and doing set-ups or repairing amps and pedals takes away from valuable guitar/amp/guitar/pedal/guitar/talking/guitar/eating/guitar playing time. 8)

I'm sure there will be experts in various fields there. If you want Ash to set-up your guitar at his workshop, fire him a PM.
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Why not make a slightly more organised section, like a theme gearfest - small amps only (up to 20W) to cover the 5, 15, 18 & 20W field. Obviously 30w is getting into AC30 territory and that's getting back into LOUD.

Have a small amp shoot out with a decibel meter etc...

Have one player, one guitar A, B, C, D etc them so everyone can hear the differences (if any).

Could be fun.

Those who haven't got or played through small amps could then play their guitars through them to get a little experience of the modern way of on stage amps (which is of course the same as the way when I first started playing, cos a 25W amp was HUGE back then) :D
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

BG wrote:
Tonemaker wrote:Ok whos bringing a MK5 ? That would be interesting amp to check out... Is their one in NZ yet?
MX5? Yeah me, but I've had them for years???
Ner the new Mesa Boogie MK5, pretty cool promo vids on it. I have a DC10, Im starting to wonder if I might like it better if I switch the 6l6's to EL34s, there is supposed to be a mod to do it. I was wanting a Stiletto cause my mates had el34's and ended up getting the Rivera which I think is awesome, but I wonder if its mostly to do with the El34's.
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

Swoop
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Swoop »

Last edited by Swoop on Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.