Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: The Official NZG Setlist

Post by sgt mukuzi »

te_chris wrote:
sgt mukuzi wrote:"dropped time signatures"

umm... wtf
me and my friends psuedo-jargon for time signatures that are 1 beat off a straight sig. like 7/8 is to 4/4 5/8 is to 6/8. certainly not a technical term
its all 2`s and 3`s
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

nzsimon1 wrote:Spooky Atlanta Rhythm Section two chords basically
That Classics Four number was rereleased in about 1985 by someone, was it ARS? I bought a recording by ARS of Spooky in a greatest hits compilation because I thought the 1980s version was released by them, but it wasn't half as good as I remembered, so it made me wonder if it was the same ARS version. I think it may have been a new recording made to cash in and due to some sort of copyright issue.
The version I wanted had some pretty straight up but tasty rock guitar solos in it. Anybody enlighten me on available versions, especially the one I recall.

[As to the blues, I love the blues, about 20 minutes worth a night, but most times I just want to scream or get up and leave when bands start to do the Mustang Sally/Red House thing for hours. :mrgreen: ]
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Yeah...

Might give it a miss this time round, then.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

Vince wrote:Yeah...

Don't be silly. The Wellington contingent is all about random noise jams! None of us actually know any songs. We just pretend to.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

benderissimo wrote:

Don't be silly. The Wellington contingent is all about random noise jams! None of us actually know any songs. We just pretend to.

Oh, ok... It was just sounding so incredibly laborious, to have to learn all these songs. :P
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

benderissimo wrote:

And playing well established songs such as the 1-bar blues.

Goes like this:

E
Ok I got rid of my Foal quote, but I found a new one.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.
is this sort of what you mean?

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Vince wrote:It was just sounding so incredibly laborious, to have to learn all these songs. :P
There's no compulsion. Its just a 'recommended reading' sort of thing.

You know how it goes, "What shall we play?... Do you know XYZ?... Nope, What about ABC?.... Nope, How about Blues in E?..." etc. Just some alternatives to Blues in E as a solution to that inevitable situation.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Blues in E? Oh crap :| ... and here I was thinking it was Bliues in C. I was getting that together, and now you tell me Blues in E?? How does that one go?
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Yeah it doesn't matter that much. Ash isn't suggesting anyone HAS to learn some songs. In fact no one is obliged to plug in and play at a gearfest. You can come along and enjoy it for whatever reason you like.

To me gearfests are all about having fun putting a name to the faces of forum members. Having a beer or ten then forgetting which name went with which face. Burning some sausages out the front of the Manor. Making scale models of the Auckland skyline out of amp stacks. Giving shit to Fler. Hanging out in the kitchen with The Manor elite. ( ;) )
Or as has been the case with the last few, having a massive night the day before, getting an hour or two sleep on the couch before getting up in time to have a shower and let the first bookings in then setting things up for the gearfest while trying not to vomit then nursing a massive hangover and grimacing at everybody while trying (genuinely) to be hospitable. :)

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

rocklander wrote:superstitious
Good luck with the solo...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWQnwVMwUA[/youtube]

te_chris
Ashton
Ashton

Post by te_chris »

sgt mukuzi wrote:
te_chris wrote:
sgt mukuzi wrote:"dropped time signatures"

umm... wtf
me and my friends psuedo-jargon for time signatures that are 1 beat off a straight sig. like 7/8 is to 4/4 5/8 is to 6/8. certainly not a technical term
its all 2`s and 3`s
duh, it's all semantics anyway

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Capt. Black wrote:Yeah it doesn't matter that much. Ash isn't suggesting anyone HAS to learn some songs. In fact no one is obliged to plug in and play at a gearfest. You can come along and enjoy it for whatever reason you like.

To me gearfests are all about having fun putting a name to the faces of forum members. Having a beer or ten then forgetting which name went with which face. Burning some sausages out the front of the Manor. Making scale models of the Auckland skyline out of amp stacks. Giving shit to Fler. Hanging out in the kitchen with The Manor elite. ( ;) )
Yeah, let's not force anyone to do anything. Except Ears. I reckon we should make him play Giant Steps backwards, modulating through all twelve keys. In the middle of a BG guitar synth-led six-way 12 bar...

I'm one of the 'stay in the other room' cats (except in Hamtown, where the jamming is gooooood), and that suits me. After all, I'm usually there to listen to some piece of gear or other, and that dog don't hunt in the jam room.

That said, if I were to choose some tunes to jam to...

Stay with me -The Faces
30 days in the hole -Humble Pie (let's keep it light on the Paul Gilbert side if we can)
Last child -Aerosmith
Goin' down -Freddie King version
Rock n'roll hoochie koo -Rick Derringer

If forced to do a 'metal' tune, maybe Jailbait, by Motorhead. I'd love to do some Halen, but who would drum?
Last edited by Hot_Grits on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Capt. Black wrote:Yeah it doesn't matter that much. Ash isn't suggesting anyone HAS to learn some songs. In fact no one is obliged to plug in and play at a gearfest. You can come along and enjoy it for whatever reason you like.
Yeah, I love jamming and can play for days on end, I just hate having to learn actual songs ("dude, you came in too soon!" "No, it was you. You played an extra line on the last verse!" etc etc) One afternoon is too short a time for that and for the range of stuff we'd have to agree to do.

Anyway, if people want to play actual songs, there's nothing to stop me from sitting them out. And so, everybody's happy again, eh? :)

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Vince wrote:
Yeah, I love jamming and can play for days on end, I just hate having to learn actual songs ("dude, you came in too soon!" "No, it was you. You played an extra line on the last verse!" etc etc) One afternoon is too short a time for that and for the range of stuff we'd have to agree to do.

Anyway, if people want to play actual songs, there's nothing to stop me from sitting them out. And so, everybody's happy again, eh? :)
Well yeah but then again the original idea is to have a range of songs that everyone loosely knows but don't require specific detailed knowledge of the arrangement.
So Ash is asking people to submit to his will..... sorry.... submit songs that are easily recognised or easily picked up if you never heard them before and above all, are easy to jam to.

Funnily enough at the last gearfest one of the best jam moments I saw was when Plum Green went to try out denden's amp to see if it would suit her for her live band set up. I suggested she just play one of her songs and see how it sounds. Within a minute everyone was jamming along to her songs. I think Fler was on drums, Pakehendrix on guitar, denden or Kristie on someone elses guitar rig and someone on bass. It was fun and it worked because Plum kicked it off with something she knew and everyone else just followed. It wasn't hard to pick up even though no one had heard the songs before and I'm pretty sure everyone had a heap of fun jamming to them.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I might actually come along to this one, I promise to behave well :lol: and also not to play Mr Crowley :roll: :mrgreen:

Would getting the jamming warmed up with a few backing or jam tracks not be a good way to get real jammin' happening after?
What you said happen last time with plum sounds better though.