Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Hamilton Gearfest December 12th 09

Post by rob_on_guitar »

matman wrote:
*UNIQUE* wrote:
matman - did you get your rig going? I wanted to try the BlackHeart but the day seemed to end on me by surprise. Nice SE too. Good score (fake).
I did but the jam was in full swing and I wasn't sure if my set up could compete with the big dogs (or the obnoxious pup! :) ) so I didn't bother cranking it up. I didn't think that anyone would be keen to try my humble rig out with such a bounty of riches on offer! You'd have been most welcome to have a blat - in fact it would have been great to hear how it sounded with someone with some real skills playing through it. Will bring my stuff again next time and try to come earlier.
I thought your set up was cool as, I actually found it took quite a while to actually look around at what everybody had.

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

matman wrote:
*UNIQUE* wrote:
matman - did you get your rig going? I wanted to try the BlackHeart but the day seemed to end on me by surprise. Nice SE too. Good score (fake).
I did but the jam was in full swing and I wasn't sure if my set up could compete with the big dogs (or the obnoxious pup! :) ) so I didn't bother cranking it up. I didn't think that anyone would be keen to try my humble rig out with such a bounty of riches on offer! You'd have been most welcome to have a blat - in fact it would have been great to hear how it sounded with someone with some real skills playing through it. Will bring my stuff again next time and try to come earlier.

Dude, bring it tonight! 8)
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by rob_on_guitar »

Do they have jam nights there Darcy?

RUDENBARK
Gibson

Post by RUDENBARK »

rocklander wrote:
RUDENBARK wrote:Skipped a lot of this thread, so sorry if someone's already pre-emptively replied:

What was that drum kit? (I mean brand/model)

Been eyeing up getting an electric kit for a couple of years; money issue more than anything, lol. Plus guitar most definitely comes first, drums are just my second instrument of choice.
IDEALLY would LOOOVE to get a proper kit. (And been told by every drummer that a proper kit is the way to go for better/most part etc (electric pretty hard on the wrists)). But I think electric would suit me better; something to learn drums on (beyond holding a beat I mean), won't piss of too many people with the racket, good for recording, different tones for different styles (experimenting), etc etc etc.
it's a roland V-Drum TD9K
http://www.rockshop.co.nz/04/shop/produ ... ROLTD9KKIT
with an extra hihat added as a second crash cymbal.
GREAT for learning on (although I'm the worlds slowest learner with zero natural talent), especially as one is less 'constrained by physics'.
by that I mean that I can set it up more naturally - hihat is in front (just above the snare) rather than having to cross my arms up and potentially hit each other whilst playing.. no crossing up is handy for me. my right leg was reattached after an accident so it points out to the right a bit, so I can put the kick out to the right rather than directly in front of me.
the floor tom is a long twist/stretch round to the right usually cos it is physically so large (in a real kit) and needs to sit on the floor.. I have the toms all lined up fairly close so I lessen the movement required to get to them.. the floor tom is 'just' to the right of the 2nd tom.
if the 'feel' is a problem, then get the KX model cos they have mesh heads (feel like real ones) (although this comes with a mesh snare, which, let's face it - is the one that gets the most attention from the hands) but I don't find them rubber ones a problem personally.. I think it's a lil bit of what 'real' drummers are used to and snobbery :wink: .
they DO get very different sounds depending on the room. in the room at home (with headphones) that kit sounded great, but I changed the kick to be a more beefy one when I practiced through a PA at the drummer's place. at the gearfest the whole lot sounded a lil more 'fake' and 'tinny' but it's a matter of tuning it/choosing the right emulation I reckon.

another cool thing about this kit is the dual trigger.. so the snare has a rimshot assigned to the rim as expected, but each of the toms have a clap, cowbell and 3rd crash assigned respectively at the rim... GREAT toy! good fun.. just wish I'd practiced more often recently so I could've actually played at the gearfest.. just not good enough :oops:
Sweet. Cheers for info. :)
You have the right to remain silent... But I wanna hear you scream!

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

rob_on_guitar wrote:Do they have jam nights there Darcy?
No, I have a blues guitar class on Tuesday nights. 8)
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by rob_on_guitar »

Ill keep that in mind, although im terrible at the blues, i can come to sit in?