meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Wellington Gearfest - 5th June

Post by thehenderson »

Oh man Rog was there?

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

tonymcbony wrote:Only the solo is EVH; the rest of the song is Steve Lukather, who has always been a bit miffed about how EVH came in and stole his thunder.
really? I had no idea.. and why wouldn't he be... I mean eddie is awesome, but so is steve... way to treat quality musos jacko..
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

Most people seem to under-rate Toto. I thought they were an excellent band. Then again, I'm old....
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Words of wisdom right there

Rog

Post by Rog »

Speaking of Michael J, it was severely uncool to like him in my circle of friends, so I didn't. Mind you, looking back it was severely uncool to like any music that wasn't heavy rock - much of which is now termed as classic metal, I guess.

The album 'Thriller' was a turning point for my listening and 'Beat It', with EVH's solo was outstanding music as far as I was concerned. I thought he was a sad and lonely soul who'd lost his identity in life, but in my opinion, he was certainly a musical genius and I think the music world is the poorer for his passing.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Rog wrote:Most people seem to under-rate Toto. I thought they were an excellent band. Then again, I'm old....
Yeah, I must admit that I never really give them much thought. Their songs have been beaten to death on radio for so long that Toto is kind of like aural wallpaper to me.

Re: "Beat It"

I think that a lot of fuss was made over that track and really... it had a lead break. Whoop dee doo. I think the whole "OMG! History has been made!" hoo-hah says a lot about the blinkered and segmented nature of the American music industry. You leave musos to jam together for a while and they'll come up with stuff that's just as eclectic. I've never understood the hype. Nice track, but hardly "history".
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Rog

Post by Rog »

Vince wrote: Their songs have been beaten to death on radio for so long that Toto is kind of like aural wallpaper to me.
I guess that since I've never been much of a radio listener that feeling never attached for me. I just appreciated the music for what it was. Same with Beat It. For me it was simply an excellent, well performed song and the first time I'd really noticed MJ's work. Having an unexpectedly good solo was the icing.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Rog wrote:
Vince wrote: Their songs have been beaten to death on radio for so long that Toto is kind of like aural wallpaper to me.
I guess that since I've never been much of a radio listener that feeling never attached for me. I just appreciated the music for what it was. Same with Beat It. For me it was simply an excellent, well performed song and the first time I'd really noticed MJ's work. Having an unexpectedly good solo was the icing.
Well, I know Toto did put out several albums but Rosanna and Africa pop up on heaps of things, including telephone queues. I really should listen to the rest of their tracks.

And I'm not knocking "Beat It", I just remember the hype when it came out and wonder why there should be so much fuss about an R&B song with a lead break in it.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I found a version without the lead break in it and I prefer it, the lead break is token as and the tone is poos

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Vince wrote: it had a freaking amazing lead break that is still ten kinds of awesome after all this time.
Fixed. :D
thehenderson wrote:I found a version without the lead break in it and I prefer it, the lead break is token as and the tone is poos
You would say so wouldn't you :P :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

On a topic-related note, I'm gutted I missed out on meeting the Great Purple One :(
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

I love Toto. Some of their songs sound seriously dated now, but they were incredible musicians, and a landmark band for sure.

Re the EVH solo, apparently MJ and Eddie were just working in the same studio or something and MJ got Eddie to come have a jam on his track. I heard he didn't get paid anything for it. Again, Eddies playing might not mean much to people in the context of today, but he was ahead of his time, and created a whole new genre of guitarist. For that he deserves much kudos. I personally still like Eddies playing, and I like the Beat It solo. Eddie is the original shredder, but unlike many from the leagues of wannabes he spawned, Eddies playing has attitude and character.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

slash-ed wrote:
Vince wrote: it had a freaking amazing lead break that is still ten kinds of awesome after all this time.
Fixed. :D
Cheers. Must have been a typo, thanks for noticing. :roll: :lol: :lol:

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4168 times

Post by jeremyb »

slash-ed wrote:On a topic-related note, I'm gutted I missed out on meeting the Great Purple One :(
Any public toilet in wellington should have a hole you can look thru for an eyeful of the great purple one :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

slash-ed wrote:On a topic-related note, I'm gutted I missed out on meeting the Great Purple One :(