WelliFest before christmas?

Info about upcoming gearfests etc

Moderator: Capt. Black

When should we meet to show off our manhood - er, ah gear?

November 13th
50%
November 20th
19%
another time
6%
or never, i hate you ben.
25%

Total votes: 16

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Re: WelliFest before christmas?

Post by calling card »

I killed a Sovtek in less than 9 months service on the 5E3, not a performance failure but it's construction method lead to internal bits coming loose & rattling. It now has a NOS ex USofA military tube - quite different construction method & looks worthy of going to war with. Probably made by woman too.
Amazing to see the thing in mint condition after all these years (1943ish), they must have stored stock in a vaccum container or something, the cardbard box showing no degradation, pins shining in the sunlight.

Good work on the gearfest & telling the story too.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Vince wrote:ANYWAY... I really really liked that Crafter ABG.

I'd love to get it but I can't justify the expense. So I was thinking:

I have this Breedlove 5 string ABG that I never use. I've never got the action right, and it feedbacks like someone that has sex with their mother. Other than that it's like new and has a great sound.

Should I sell it and buy the Crafter? It seems silly to sell something that has all that potential (the 5th string) to buy another 4 string?

Or should I have one last go at getting the 5 string set up so I finally like it? And maybe save up for a parametric EQ?

What would you guys do? Say you had a 7 string guitar...
TBH, I've never seen the need for a seven string. I'm just not that adventurous, and I wouldn't have a use for it. Well, not one that I can see now anyway.

The question is, would you miss the 5 string if you ditched it? If not, then flick it and get something you would miss if it went. :D
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

hamo wrote:The question is, would you miss the 5 string if you ditched it?
I really have no idea. I've never managed to have it feeling right. It (setup) seems like such a minor problem, and yet there's been heaps of times when I could have gone to the luthier and never got around to it. I just never seem to get around to taking that bass off the rack, let alone play it, let alone shlepping it into town.

And yet... a whole other string... it's definitely interesting.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

calling card wrote:I killed a Sovtek in less than 9 months service on the 5E3, not a performance failure but it's construction method lead to internal bits coming loose & rattling.
On a 5E3? what type of sovtek tube are you talking about? The Sovtek 5U4G is routinely used as the stock mesa dual rectifier tube - Clarry Scholum raves about them, and I am quite happy with the one in my 5G9 clone (which is a combo) after 2 years of pretty constant gigging abuse. No reliability problems that I am aware of.
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

A Sovtek 5Y3GT, working fine just rattled more & more, kind of like an annoying rattle in a car dashboard. On inspection I could see a square plate on the end of some pedestal legs retained by folded tabs, looked like the plate was loose there.
Don't want to start a toob can-o-worms debate, it still did it's job.

Edit 30/11/10: Everything takes more of a beating as this amp is a combo. Probably fare better in a head.
Edit 07/12/10 This little amp works hard - in a mini marshall way.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus