WelliFest before christmas?

Info about upcoming gearfests etc

Moderator: Capt. Black

When should we meet to show off our manhood - er, ah gear?

November 13th
50%
November 20th
19%
another time
6%
or never, i hate you ben.
25%

Total votes: 16

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Re: WelliFest before christmas?

Post by hamo »

Awesome afternoon guys, thanks again to Cam for the venue, which had the added bonus of letting me fall in love with the Orange TH30 combo. Hee-uge sounding amp and now high on my GAS list. :twisted:

Cam had the Z and his board in full effect. That Old Dog just sounds sick man, seriously good sounds, although with that cool set up it's easy to forget that it sounds good because Cam is such a monster player.

In fact, bunch of talented mudsuckers all round. Lots of good sounds coming from all quarters. 8)

Perhaps my favourite thing was having a blast through Benny's rig. Nice clean setup, but man does it wail!

I didn't have a ton of stuff with me, just guitar and Metal Muff really - had some last minute hickups with timing and had to grab what I could and run out the door. Next time I'll try to make sure I bring my whole setup.

Nice to meet some people and catch up with others. 8)
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Was great to meet you all! Sorry for not being able to get my gear there, will have to deafen you with my 8 sweaty watts next time. Loved the sound of the Bogner head, nice! The little Vox practice amp sounded great too, will be awesome to see how the cab build goes. PB, your ac30 is on fire, and that Holden is the loudest amp I've heard in a long long time.

Hey thanks heaps for hosting it at music planet, the venue was perfect, we could all talk and play some gear. Looking forward to seeing you all again sometime.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

gutted i missed it boys. had three gigs today and couldn't face not chilling out quietly in my only spare couple of hours.

so hopefully another time, sundays are just tricky.

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

robnobcorncob wrote:Hey Pete when Cam was playing through your Tremolux do you remember how high the volume was set?
Probably about 3/4, at one stage it was dimed, but not at that time IIRC.
robnobcorncob wrote: Your Princeton Reverb clone sounds awesome, is there a Fender amp that sounds more or less identical but with slightly more volume? (able to gig with a drummer without being mic'd up ?)
In terms of BF 6V6 amps, if you wanted a compact amp that was like a PR but louder still, the BF non-verb princeton with BFDR (6k6) OT and 12" speaker has more grind - because there's no reverb circuit attenuation in the signal path (The BF amps with reverb all attentuate the dry signal somewhat, whether the reverb is on or not).

The next one 'up' from that would be a BFDR (about 22W) same fixed bias 6V6s in PP, but with a long-tail-pair phase inverter (which drives the output tube grids a bit more), and a beefier (5AR4) rectifier tube, which gives more headroom and higher B+, but has less sag, and but it doesn't have the bias-vary trem. On the DR 'normal channel', the signal goes straight from the TS recovery stage to the PI, so there's no reverb circuit attenuation, which makes the normal channel louder.

The Brown Vibroverb (6G16) is also fairly dynamic, having BF pre-amp and reverb circuitry (like a BFDR), but with bias-vary trem (like the PR) but with a LTP inverter and a 5AR4 rectifier (like a DR) but with fixed-bias 6L6s (so it is just louder full stop). Many people love that amp. In fact in many ways it was the precursor to the BF amps.
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

tubeswell
Gibson

Post by tubeswell »

mr_sooty wrote:Hey Pete, if you have any NOS 5AR4's lying around I'll swap you one for that Jensen speaker. BTW, the Reverend is all fixed up if anyone cares - I managed to make the hole big enough for the new pot. 8)
I have a few NOS rectifier tubes in my stash - can't recall exactly what's in there, I'll have a look. I know I have a very slightly used coke-bottle shape NOS 5R4 (which is about a saggy as a 5U4G, but delivers the same continuous 250mA as a 5AR4 and only needs 2A to run on (instead of 3). It drops about 30V more than 5AR4 does, and can survive happily on 20uF reservoir capacitance. (Are you thinking of the Maz?)

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

tubeswell wrote:
mr_sooty wrote:Hey Pete, if you have any NOS 5AR4's lying around I'll swap you one for that Jensen speaker. BTW, the Reverend is all fixed up if anyone cares - I managed to make the hole big enough for the new pot. 8)
I have a few NOS rectifier tubes in my stash - can't recall exactly what's in there, I'll have a look. I know I have a very slightly used coke-bottle shape NOS 5R4 (which is about a saggy as a 5U4G, but delivers the same continuous 250mA as a 5AR4 and only needs 2A to run on (instead of 3). It drops about 30V more than 5AR4 does, and can survive happily on 20uF reservoir capacitance. (Are you thinking of the Maz?)
Yeah, the Maz. I'm perfectly happy with the sound I'm getting, but everybody says the NOS Rectifiers last a lot longer then the newer ones - whether there's any truth to that I have no idea. I tried some other compatible NOS rectifier a while back, but preferred the slightly 'tighter' sound I got with the stock 5AR4/GZ34. I think it might have been a 5V4, but can't remember exactly.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I've got to be at the next one... so we should really organise a shit phil collins thing where I can fly into welly for sat, onto chch for sun and back to aucks :)

Of course the Henderson exists, he was about fifteen when he came to his first gearfest, how long have you guys been members ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

hamo wrote:Awesome afternoon guys, thanks again to Cam for the venue, which had the added bonus of letting me fall in love with the Orange TH30 combo. Hee-uge sounding amp and now high on my GAS list. :twisted:

Cam had the Z and his board in full effect. That Old Dog just sounds sick man, seriously good sounds, although with that cool set up it's easy to forget that it sounds good because Cam is such a monster player.

8)
You flatter me. :oops:

Yeah that TH30 is a killer amp, I was really suprised how versatile it is, very nice voxy cleans and a killer drive channel that'll do anything from deep purple to Megadeth.

I'm glad you like the Old Dog. It's my favourite pedal. My first build (it's a bit shabby on the inside, my more recent builds have been much better), and just such a great sounding overdrive. It's just a slightly modified Bluesbreaker. With all the Tube Screamer clones around, the Bluesbreaker circuit is kind of a sleeping giant I reckon.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

BG wrote:I've got to be at the next one... so we should really organise a shit phil collins thing where I can fly into welly for sat, onto chch for sun and back to aucks :)

Of course the Henderson exists, he was about fifteen when he came to his first gearfest, how long have you guys been members ;)
I almost didn't recognise him because he dodn't troll anyone when he walked in... :P :mrgreen:

It would be good to have BG's national gearfest tour hit Wellington next time.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah we just have to get the timing right for people who need to spend their time elsewhere on a sunday.... I usually spend it in bars :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

BG wrote:yeah we just have to get the timing right for people who need to spend their time elsewhere on a sunday.... I usually spend it behind bars :)
far too easy really, but I'm tired so.... fixed
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

rocklander wrote:
BG wrote:yeah we just have to get the timing right for people who need to spend their time elsewhere on a sunday.... I usually spend it behind bars :)
far too easy really, but I'm tired so.... fixed
spoilsport.... dunno why I bother :(

tubeswell
Gibson

Post by tubeswell »

mr_sooty wrote:
tubeswell wrote:
Yeah, the Maz. I'm perfectly happy with the sound I'm getting, but everybody says the NOS Rectifiers last a lot longer then the newer ones - whether there's any truth to that I have no idea. I tried some other compatible NOS rectifier a while back, but preferred the slightly 'tighter' sound I got with the stock 5AR4/GZ34. I think it might have been a 5V4, but can't remember exactly.
I find JJGZ34 seem to be able to last the distance (from my own experience with them. Some JJ tubes are better than others. The 6V6S has been fairly reliable for me to-date too. Both of those amps today were running JJ6V6s. Its the JJ6L6GC I find a tad disappointing.) If you know whether the Maz PT can handle a 3A rectifier, then you probably would like the Sovtek 5U4G - they are as reliable as you can get (The one in the tremolux has been there for 2 years and counting, and it has been gigged fairly regularly)

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Thanks Pete that's very useful

Heck even my Bogner had JJ branded 6V6S power tubes! They've been great so far.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

why the feck would you want a NOS rectifier tube???? mmmm feel that groovy rectifier tone...